Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Hardly any I suppose since he speaks of 'a hair' and 'POINT 15'.

It's nice to know image has slightly improved. Then again, some time has passed, so it's only natural that more is possible with newer efforts.

60p will unlock a lot of creativity with these cameras. I'm curious how bad the rolling shutter will be in 60p. 

9 hours ago, MattH said:

Is that just raw from the bmmcc youre talking about.  How does prores hold up.  If prores could almost match 5d3 raw then that would be an acheivment, especially at 60p.

Yeah just raw, I haven't played with prores.

6 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

for rolling shutter, i want to be able to stack the cameras on top of each other. haven't done that yet. for battery life I didn't time it out but I'd say it's in the neighborhood of 2.5 times longer than the BMPCC battery would last.

Samuel's crunched the numbers on my rolling shutter test: 13.4ms. Damn good. Beats the Pocket by 4.4ms.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

3 hours ago, ChemaMumford said:

So.. RAW 60fps is possible? Anybody knows anything about that? I asked to blackmagic but they didnt answer yet.. 

I can´t wait to get one of these babies

3:1 compressed raw in 60p only.

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

60p will unlock a lot of creativity with these cameras. I'm curious how bad the rolling shutter will be in 60p. 

Rolling shutter should be faster in 60p. I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing it would be around 10ms.

40 minutes ago, squig said:

Rolling shutter should be faster in 60p. I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing it would be around 10ms.

There's no reason why it would be, or should be any faster in 60p.  If it's possible to scan the sensor in 10ms, then that appies regardless of how many times it has to scan it.  The only thing we knew for certain it that it must be capable of 16.6ms because that is 1/60th of a second.  13.4ms seems like a decent all round figure though anyway.

Just now, MattH said:

Theres no reason why it would be or should be any faster in 60p.  If it is possible to scan the sensor in 10ms, then that appies regardless of how many times it has to scan it.  The only thin we new for certain it that it must be capable of 16.6ms because that is 1/60th of a second.  13.4ms seems like a decent all round figure andyway.

I was thinking about how it's faster on the 5D MK3 raw, but I just remembered that's 720p :flushed:

7 hours ago, richg101 said:

reduced moire, reduced colour noise, and 60p are all very much needed improvements.  

do you know how many stops the -15 in resolve equates to?

it was only a .15 adjustment. i don't know what that equates to exactly but less than a 1/3 of a stop, i'm sure. barely a difference but noticeable side by side.

This camera is so dang exciting to me. Didn't realize how small it was until I saw the picture of it in Andrew's hand. 

Only thing keeping me from purchasing it now is the lack of a monitor, which I need to get for my Ronin endeavors anyway. But the "In Stock" tag on B&H is calling my name

Hi there,

I've been a lurker for a looooong time but decided to join up. I'm a newbie so learning as I go.

I recently received the BMMCC camera and did a very rough test between the BMPCC, same settings in a lowly lit room. I wanted to see if the dark areas showed dead pixels. Instead I saw this vertical banding going on. If it was broad daylight, something like this wouldn't be common/noticeable, correct? I am aware these are not lowlight cameras and I'll be using lights with them. I wanted to be discreet because I didn't tell my partner I purchased new toys...I will soon! :P

If you want more proper tests, I can do it tomorrow when I have some alone time.

I did some contrast adjustments to the stills to show the difference.

Vimeo file.

BMMCC_boosted.jpg

bmpcc.jpg

Hey Lance,

I think the extra noise is mostly due to the BMMCC ISOs being slightly darker (<1/3 of a stop) than the BMPCC as Zak mentioned. I'm not seeing much of a difference in noise looking at the wide shot of the room. Best to test raw because prores is gonna add some compression artifacts.

On 3/21/2016 at 1:55 AM, Phil A said:

Regarding the Micro Studio Camera with 4k. Seeing how it's not the same sensor as at BMPC4k I wonder if there's any dynamic range tests out there about it?

it is the studio camera sensor we've seen before, which means it is intended for studio situations where you can heavily control the lighting to fit into the sensor's needs. 

If you want to make films with it, then probably will not be of interest to you like a BMMCC would be. 

9 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

it was only a .15 adjustment. i don't know what that equates to exactly but less than a 1/3 of a stop, i'm sure. barely a difference but noticeable side by side.

Zak are you seeing any difference in highlight roll-off between the BMMCC and BMPCC?