Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

I am thinking something along these lines but I would rather it swivel down. Am also thinking an EVF may be a good solution as well. I saw a 3" EVF on eBay that sells for around 200 bucks. I'm still weighing my options and wondering if they will lower the cost of the pocket once the micro is released. If they do, I may just get one of those instead. 

If you take a ballhead you can swivel it wherever you want, depending on where the monitor has mounting points. The SmallHD 500 series has that "sidefinder" attachment. It's kinda pricey at 300$ for basically a right angle loupe but then you have a EVF in addition to the FullHD 5" screen. I'll probably try to score a used one on eBay or ze interwebs.

I think a problem with the Micro is that the cheapo monitors are so-so, the EVF are basically all quite pricey and there's more good 7" monitor/recorder than 5" (which I would then already consider too big) and you don't actually need external recording because it's probably going to be absolutely identical to the internal recording with BMD.
I'd clearly get the BMMCC over the BMPCC because of the better battery solution (granted you can have a LP-E6 solution with the BMPCC but then you automatically need a bigger rig), 60fps and the global shutter.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you take a ballhead you can swivel it wherever you want, depending on where the monitor has mounting points. The SmallHD 500 series has that "sidefinder" attachment. It's kinda pricey at 300$ for basically a right angle loupe but then you have a EVF in addition to the FullHD 5" screen. I'll probably try to score a used one on eBay or ze interwebs.

I think a problem with the Micro is that the cheapo monitors are so-so, the EVF are basically all quite pricey and there's more good 7" monitor/recorder than 5" (which I would then already consider too big) and you don't actually need external recording because it's probably going to be absolutely identical to the internal recording with BMD.
I'd clearly get the BMMCC over the BMPCC because of the better battery solution (granted you can have a LP-E6 solution with the BMPCC but then you automatically need a bigger rig), 60fps and the global shutter.

I agree the BMMCC is the better deal, even with the external monitor, but if they drop the price of the pocket to 500 bucks again, it's a no brainer for me. 

With the BMMCC's size, I don't want to encumber it with a huge display. It is the perfect high end guerilla filmmaking camera if you can keep the footprint small. So, I'm looking for rig possibilities that keep the monitor in line with the camera body. Pop it on an L-Bracket or small 2 handled cage and it would be a tiny, inconspicuous beast. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The pocket LCD is crap anyway, any 100/200$ EVF/LCD on ebay will be better. Just one of those on the hotshoe with a ball-mount and a lens + card you have a much better camera than pocket with slo-mo & global shutter option & better batteries. 

My point is that it Doesn't need to be too complicated rig.

A 3-4'' cheapo ebay lcd/evf will get you shooing/framing/exposing/focuing better than the fixed horrid pocket lcd anyway.

If you want a large SmallHD AC7/501/OdysseyQ7/Ninjablade high quality panel on an articulated arm plus a custom grip on the side, Mic arm on hotshe + Tascam/Zoom audio recorder and a Metabones Pocket SB + Canon IS L glass, you can do that. It'll be awesome. Just not the only way. 

Well, I already have the BMD Video Assist for use with the GH4 and contemplating selling off two BMPCCs to order a BMMCC (indeed: global shutter or rolling w/ 60p and increased batterylife!). But I'd rather use it like this, not too different from a vari-angle grippy camera such as the GH4:

yyMGCxV.jpg

... than how Blackmagic showed us like this:

sdQYSsL.jpg

Just looks a little awkward. And how are you going to mount it and what if you're taking a break, how would you even put it down? :)

Well, I already have the BMD Video Assist for use with the GH4 and contemplating selling off two BMPCCs to order a BMMCC (indeed: global shutter or rolling w/ 60p and increased batterylife!). But I'd rather use it like this, not too different from a vari-angle grippy camera such as the GH4:

yyMGCxV.jpg

... than how Blackmagic showed us like this:

sdQYSsL.jpg

Just looks a little awkward. And how are you going to mount it and what if you're taking a break, how would you even put it down? :)

How are the 4K>1080 prores files from the GH4/VA combo? I'm planning on getting a VA for this but they aren't available in the UK yet ...

The pocket LCD is crap anyway, any 100/200$ EVF/LCD on ebay will be better. Just one of those on the hotshoe with a ball-mount and a lens + card you have a much better camera than pocket with slo-mo & global shutter option & better batteries. 

My point is that it Doesn't need to be too complicated rig.

A 3-4'' cheapo ebay lcd/evf will get you shooing/framing/exposing/focuing better than the fixed horrid pocket lcd anyway.

If you want a large SmallHD AC7/501/OdysseyQ7/Ninjablade high quality panel on an articulated arm plus a custom grip on the side, Mic arm on hotshe + Tascam/Zoom audio recorder and a Metabones Pocket SB + Canon IS L glass, you can do that. It'll be awesome. Just not the only way. 

Can you link to an example of a cheap eBay EVF? I didn't know they existed ...

How are the 4K>1080 prores files from the GH4/VA combo? I'm planning on getting a VA for this but they aren't available in the UK yet ...

[..]

Yeah, I waited forever for it to arrive. It's pretty fresh! I just got my Patona power supply for it sorted this week (didn't just have Canon stuff around being a MFT system shooter and all). I guess retailers ship 'em out when they get their small quantities in, so you're best off, if you really want one, to order as soon as you can and then keep your fingers crossed they'll get a shipment from BMD in, within a few weeks from ordering and there isn't a massive waiting list for 'em. I think it might take a while for them to just be readily availlable.

The VA takes SDI 4K, but I haven't got any HDMI to SDI solutions around, so it's HDMI 1080p for the occassional V-Log L mainly. Recording ProRes out of the GH4 is really nice to have, even if just FHD. Didn't do more than running some tests out of the box. Now will have to update the firmware and see what that's like. But so far... it looks well worth it... especially since I'm probably going to get the BMMCC with it. 4K is cool to have, but solid 1080p doesn't really bother me. As everyone already mentioned, it's probably one of the most pleasing images for the money... and now it has global shutter and the battery doesn't run out on you in a blink of an eye, as well as now you'll use a dedicated monitor, instead of the iffy display on the back.

- Actually, if you don't mind a demo unit, they have one for direct ship out over here: http://www.one4av.com/ex-demo-blackmagic-design-video-assist.html?___store=default_en&___from_store=default

Can you link to an example of a cheap eBay EVF? I didn't know they existed ...

Yeah, I found a 3" EVF by accident, they seem to run about 200 bucks.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FEELWORLD-3-5-EVF-TFT-LCD-HDMI-in-out-Electronic-ViewFinder-Focus-HD-Monitor-/231719304735?nav=SEARCH

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Feelworld-3-5-Electronic-View-Finder-LCD-Monitor-Kit-Battery-SDI-HDMI-F-BMCC-/321845517360?tfrom=231719304735&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

This looks cool. SDI/HDMI. Good resolution for evf and loup. Comes with battery. Good reviews also for the peaking/guidelines/size. Shame only USA shipping I'd have given it a try for that price

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, araucaria said:

I'm so tempted by this little thing... but after adding grips, screens,etc... you will probably have spend 2000$

I could get this thing rigged for $500 or less. Besides, most of that is unnecessary if your cameras spends most of its time on sticks, sliders, and shoulder rigs (which mine does).