Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

Kinda this:

I guess I could sell off two of my BMPCCs and start using it with the VA like so:

EJBmHYI.png

... but it kinda looks like something you wouldn't actually want to be doing.

Yeah the idea that the screen is almost twice the size of the camera is kinda silly. The ability to use your iPhone or a small GoPro-like screen seems like the best option, but it doesn't seem possible, or at least cost effective. For me, the best scenario would be the camera on an L-Bracket with a c-mount lens... Talk about a small set up. Hopefully a third party will introduce a smaller screen... Maybe a screen that can hook into the battery on the back... A third party battery that has two terminals... One that powers the camera and another that powers a small screen designed specifically for the battery and BMMCC. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah the idea that the screen is almost twice the size of the camera is kinda silly. The ability to use your iPhone or a small GoPro-like screen seems like the best option, but it doesn't seem possible, or at least cost effective. For me, the best scenario would be the camera on an L-Bracket with a c-mount lens... Talk about a small set up. Hopefully a third party will introduce a smaller screen... Maybe a screen that can hook into the battery on the back... A third party battery that has two terminals... One that powers the camera and another that powers a small screen designed specifically for the battery and BMMCC. 

Indeed, sounds like a great idea.

Weird that the official BM picture uses HDMI to connect the Micro and Video Assist rather than SDI ...

Only the studio 4k version has SDI (as seen in that pic) because it doesn't record internally. the micro cinema camera has no SDI. HDMI only for monitoring.

I'm very happy that a monitor is not integrated into this unit. hopefully it will have a positive effect on battery life. but more importantly, I plan to treat the camera body like I would an Alexa Mini that's been miniaturized even further, allowing me to place my SmalHD 502 monitor where i need it for any given situation -- behind it when on sticks, forward when shoulder mounted, or with a 15ft HDMI cable run when car mounted so i can monitor the shot while hiding in the backseat. :)

Could an hdmi wi-fi dongle stream to an iPhone or an iPod touch? They're reasonably priced and not too enormous.

think they are only HDMI in?

If you wanna be wireless, you will need to go a similar route as drone usage.... 2.4ghz TX/RX monitor

I guess a 5" lilliput monitor wouldn't be too big, or too expensive. Hopefully, there are some nice cages that come out with different monitor, mounting options. 

think they are only HDMI in?

If you wanna be wireless, you will need to go a similar route as drone usage.... 2.4ghz TX/RX monitor

I don't necessarily care about being wireless, I just want a compact unit where the BMMCC doesn't have screenis envy. 

Only the studio 4k version has SDI (as seen in that pic) because it doesn't record internally. the micro cinema camera has no SDI. HDMI only for monitoring.

I'm very happy that a monitor is not integrated into this unit. hopefully it will have a positive effect on battery life. but more importantly, I plan to treat the camera body like I would an Alexa Mini that's been miniaturized even further, allowing me to place my SmalHD 502 monitor where i need it for any given situation -- behind it when on sticks, forward when shoulder mounted, or with a 15ft HDMI cable run when car mounted so i can monitor the shot while hiding in the backseat. :)

Good plan. How are you getting on with the pocket?

Speaking of monitors... is there a way to connect to a camera's wifi (like the panasonic app) using something like Google Glass?

Are there options out there to monitor video through glasses?

I would be interested in something like this.

I thought of this very thing long ago. It would be excellent for guerilla filmmaking. VU the consumer electronics maker makes another headset with bluetooth. I guess something with wi-fi could work with a havk or something. 

Good plan. How are you getting on with the pocket?

I love it. I've rigged it out to be just heavy enough to avoid micro-jitters. And I loving how skin tones are rendered. I struggled to get the GH4 someplace it didn't want to go for six months. Should have traded resolution for color and DR a long time ago. I'm much happier.

Speaking of monitors... is there a way to connect to a camera's wifi (like the panasonic app) using something like Google Glass?

Are there options out there to monitor video through glasses?

I would be interested in something like this.

again, you need to look into drone style monitoring. You can get wireless FPV glasses

I love it. I've rigged it out to be just heavy enough to avoid micro-jitters. And I loving how skin tones are rendered. I struggled to get the GH4 someplace it didn't want to go for six months. Should have traded resolution for color and DR a long time ago. I'm much happier.

What lenses are you using with it? Anamorphic?

Hey Zak, you have your BMPCC setup pretty similar to mine - I use an ANSSO BMPCC battery adapter (eBay) though, which screws really neatly flush onto the back of the handle. It looks and functions pretty much as if it were part of the cage design. I haven't seen many people put the battery on the handle like we do but it works great. If you're interested I'll post a photo...

one reassurance I got out of him is the Micro will do 60p in RAW. some were worried about the datarate being too high for the approved lot of SD cards.

I guess they updated the "production" model, because all of the specs, I have seen, show no Raw 60p with the GS. You'd think they'd update their specs... That a major improvement.