Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

I totally see where you're coming from. Shot in its sweet spot, that 4K sensor produces exquisite results--especially those magical skintones.

https://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2014/12/director-of-photography-blackmagic-4k-ursa-tests-part-1/
https://vimeo.com/139130557 

Yeah I've watched that wedding one a couple of times. Stunning image. This one is really nice too:

https://vimeo.com/106428907

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.came-tv.com/cameh4-carbon-fiber-stabilizer-suitable-for-dslr-cameras-p-516.html

I've been researching handheld gimbals and stabilizers for the BMMCC, especially since the BM website has the camera pictured with such.

I was curious if anyone has any thoughts regarding the product above? Just seems like one of the least expensive options with really acceptable results. 

If the Micro camera has a good global shutter and is paired with a MFT stablized lens... IMO, this seems light, small and travel friendly.

Sure would be nice to not have to worry about another set of batteries. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SmallHD 502 monitor that I plan to use with the Micro. But just noticed that B&H is selling the 501 (No SDI, HDMI Only) for $599 until the end of day Monday.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1153980-REG/smallhd_mon_501_501_hdmi_full_hd.html/dealZone/true

Thx mate. An offer too good to refuse. Just got mine; great screen, way nicer than my AC7. Most of my writing calls for low key shots so the LUTs are really going to cut down on the guesswork. I've been resisting the temptation to grab a BMPCC, how's it working out for you? Any issues?

• 3 weeks later...

So this happened. I know I know, they do this every month but if you can get people to believe in an invisible man in the sky you can get them to believe anything.

I mentioned it in the Ursa Mini thread but as someone there remarked, they might say "Shipping in January" but even if they do it will probably take months to fulfill pre-orders and be probably nearly autumn if not winter when it's easily available at retailers.
There's still no information about anyone having a prototype or any test footage so it's also still to be seen what impact the global shutter mode has on DR, etc.

I love the idea of the camera. I'd really like to get one, it fixes what I dislike about the Pocket, but so far it's vaporware and I'm not sure if I should get my hopes up.

Blackmagic strategy is ridiculous. They keep selling vaporware, when they could perfectly sell their products, which are very nice. They could have come with a Pocket 2.0 or mkII with a better LCD and little else and keep it at $1000 or stay with the first version and put the price at $750. Nobody would have complained. Instead they announce something that never gets out. 

Blackmagic strategy is ridiculous. They keep selling vaporware, when they could perfectly sell their products, which are very nice. They could have come with a Pocket 2.0 or mkII with a better LCD and little else and keep it at $1000 or stay with the first version and put the price at $750. Nobody would have complained. Instead they announce something that never gets out. 

I agree, a pocket v2.0 with a better LCD, UHS II support, better heat dissipation and the global shutter would make more sense. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

January?! I forgot about the camera. I also forgot about the URSA mini 4.6K. They destroyed a big part of these cameras reputation even before they came out just because of this, and sadly they are potentially great cameras. 

Pre-ordering a camera that's been announced and not using it in almost a year? That's a deal breaker, a huge deal breaker. Something that will hunt BM forever, and Preorders will hugely decrease in numbers and sales. I have no idea how they could repeat the same mistake over and over and over. It must be a really hard one to solve and has to do with their nature of being a small company unlike large ones who have enormous and numerous manufacturing plants of their own. 

The Micro camera is a great concept. I am dying to see the image quality is 1080p raw with this v2 sensor, if it just eliminated aliasing it will be one of the best images out there for cinema especially when coupled with the SB. Also dying to see how the 60p looks, if it remains the same quality or takes a hit, and waiting to see how global shutter looks and affects the image. 

All of which I should have seen and seen and seen 6 months ago. 

However if these are all true and it has uncompromising 60p, no aliasing, great global shutter mode, long battery life with the LP-E6, then they must produce a handheld camera form of it as a pocket camera successor and not just this drone/crash cam camera form. 

I mentioned it in the Ursa Mini thread but as someone there remarked, they might say "Shipping in January" but even if they do it will probably take months to fulfill pre-orders and be probably nearly autumn if not winter when it's easily available at retailers.There's still no information about anyone having a prototype or any test footage so it's also still to be seen what impact the global shutter mode has on DR, etc.

I've been keen on the micro since NAB, but I didn't pre-order because why torture myself? I've seen people still waiting for their pre-orders when I could find a camera in stock in the past. I'm going to have to get a pocket in the next couple of weeks to shoot a crowdfunding trailer for my film. Its going to suck if a micro's sitting in a shop a week later, but such is life.

I just checked the local shop here in the Netherlands and they are already selling the micro, including the 4k version.

http://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p698995/blackmagic-micro-cinema-videocamera

http://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p699115/blackmagic-micro-studio-camera-4k

Looks nice and the 2k version is already sold out......

The Micro Cinema is not yet available so the "sold out" isn't correct. Blackmagic didn't ship any so far.

The Micro Studio is available indeed but it has no internal recording and "only" does Rec.709 and no LOG recording. That's not really for the same application field as the cinema cameras.

Yeah, it's likely that store says "sold out" because they don't have any inventory (for obvious reasons). HOWEVER!!....

This might be the first actual functioning BMMCC in the wild. by way of Noam Kroll.

Okay so maybe I'll hold off on that Pocket for a couple more weeks.