Leica SL hands-on first impressions review from a video perspective

Andrew Reid

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

He means the 1080p FF 24P is similar to internal 1080 24p from the NX1, not as good as the 1080p 24p from the gh4. On 120p, he just gives ''poor''.

Andrew writes in a humane non-robotic-like accurate technical report. It's what makes his blog''fun'' to read rather than reading accurate facts listed. I read both type. Andrew's the former, an opinion normal human writer.

Philip bloom started losing community fame just when he turned more robotic and ''accurate'' rather than the way he used to write passionately from the heart.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

He means the 1080p FF 24P is similar to internal 1080 24p from the NX1, not as good as the 1080p 24p from the gh4. On 120p, he just gives ''poor''.

Andrew writes in a humane non-robotic-like accurate technical report. It's what makes his blog''fun'' to read rather than reading accurate facts listed. I read both type. Andrew's the former, an opinion normal human writer.

Philip bloom started losing community fame just when he turned more robotic and ''accurate'' rather than the way he used to write passionately from the heart.

Right, but he said "24p AND 120p" - the key being those two words - "and 120p".  I know Andrew isn't a fan of the NX1's 1080p120, but I find it pretty nice.

• Administrators

Here's Dan over at Newsshooter, confirming what I saw with the LOG profile.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/11/15/the-curious-case-of-the-leica-sl-going-hands-on-with-the-camera-confirms-issues-with-log-gamma/

We both saw the problem in less than 20 mins with the camera in a store.

Question is how did Leica miss the problem in over 24 months of engineering?

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/11/15/the-curious-case-of-the-leica-sl-going-hands-on-with-the-camera-confirms-issues-with-log-gamma/

If you also take into account the excessive banding in the example photos from the camera, I believe all the Leica engineers were focusing on just the "feel" of the camera :p 

i saw the "problem" the second i switched log on in camera....so flat, it takes some getting used to get focus....BUT i found the files i shot graded really well...great color, great tones, no banding at all.....i understand what the histogram looks like and i agree there as well that it does not look right at all...but again, to me, as long as the final graded clip looks great?

i think the real problem is that there is no LUT implementation of any kind in camera....at least in the finder...it would make exposure and focus a lot easier....

there is also this test on news shooter:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/11/03/test-video-leica-sl-4k-camera-tested-by-tim-arasheban-and-cinoflex/

well i guess we have an official answer now: the Vlog is optimized for HDMI 10bit out....

http://blog.planet5d.com/2015/11/from-leica-directly-heres-whats-happening-with-l-log-on-the-sl/

i would still love to see LUT support.....but i guess if they assume that nobody will use the Vlog with internal recording, it makes sense to not provide internal LUT support, the external recorder will most have LUTs anyway....

now if we could only have internal 10bit...hmm....the new sd II cards R/W 290mb/sec should be fast enough? and the processor (maestro II) can do it in the S (which is listed as having internal 10bit)....no clue what format/compression...