Hercules - The World's Smallest Camera Motion Control System

blafarm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Certainly looks alright. But take a cheapo table dolly (let's say 15 bucks)...

tb1hQ0Z.png

... and then imagine something DIY to make it motorized... 199 then sounds quite the up in price.

I say, "To each, their own".

But I would ask:  Can you fit that in your pocket?  Can you power it with a single AAA battery?  Can it spin on a single axis to provide a panorama?  How big is the track that would be required to make a slider out of that?  And how much time are you willing to spend coming up with a programmable multi- speed motor that also does timelapse moves? 

Like everything else in the world, it comes down to time and effort -- versus cost.  For me, at the Kickstarter price, this strikes a good balance.

I say, "To each, their own".

But I would ask:  Can you fit that in your pocket?  Can you power it with a single AAA battery?  Can it spin on a single axis to provide a panorama?  How big is the track that would be required to make a slider out of that?  And how much time are you willing to spend coming up with a programmable multi- speed motor that also does timelapse moves? 

Like everything else in the world, it comes down to time and effort -- versus cost.  For me, at the Kickstarter price, this strikes a good balance.

I am very aware of all of that. ;) That's the reason that well before my post I had already liked your share and backed the project. I like it. Quite a lot actually.

But basicly... it's sort of an advanced table dolly. You've got one of them converted egg timers for single axis panoramas as well. Which really doesn't have to cost much either. That's why I said that 'it sounds quite the up in price', just to add some perspective. Not saying it isn't a good price, especially in this specialized market where things get quite costly quickly anyways. You've got something that combines concepts, uniquely and with a twist, with great dura- and portability. That's worth something. Just thought to mention that if you didn't care much about something polished, you'd still have some possibilities, but I guess you could say I'm fighting in the wrong corner here.

I am very aware of all of that. ;) That's the reason that well before my post I had already liked your share and backed the project. I like it. Quite a lot actually.

But basicly... it's sort of an advanced table dolly. You've got one of them converted egg timers for single axis panoramas as well. Which really doesn't have to cost much either. That's why I said that 'it sounds quite the up in price', just to add some perspective. Not saying it isn't a good price, especially in this specialized market where things get quite costly quickly anyways. You've got something that combines concepts, uniquely and with a twist, with great dura- and portability. That's worth something. Just thought to mention that if you didn't care much about something polished, you'd still have some possibilities, but I guess you could say I'm fighting in the wrong corner here.

Sorry I didn't catch your drift.  And yes, I agree, there are a number of lower-cost and less-polished options that would delivery similar, if not identical, results.

Very little actual motion control going on.

This is a motorized dolly.

Normally, I would agree with that statement -- just like we wouldn't typically call a motorized slider a "motion control unit".

In this case, I think the multiple speeds in forward and reverse, the timelapse feature and the Stretch Goal (which adds the magnetic sensors that allow for speed ramping start/stop and repeat moves) and the fact that the device is capable of free movement and not limited to using a linear track -- allow for a somewhat liberal use of the term "motion control".

But, yes, clearly not the definition of motion control used in the business. 

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but thought I'd mention that I got this in the mail today. Hoping to test it a little more tomorrow. First impressions are that it's solid. Holds a GH4 with 12-35 lens no problem. The motor is a little noisy but that's about the only downside I've seen.

Thanks for the feedback.  So, I'm guessing from your noise observation that you would not advise using the Hercules as a "second shooter" -- which it is capable of doing with the track and magnets mounted at either end.

Thanks for the feedback.  So, I'm guessing from your noise observation that you would not advise using the Hercules as a "second shooter" -- which it is capable of doing with the track and magnets mounted at either end.

I think it depends on how close to the mic it is. If it's a second camera for an interview and placed 10 ft back I don't think it's a problem. If a mic is on the hercules camera it will definitely be a problem.

In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd share this Kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2044759634/hercules-the-worlds-smallest-camera-motion-control?ref=email

Looks Excellent. Reminds me of Edelkrone's Pocket Skater. Though not as stunning and as foldable, but having quite a variety of movement options, and can handle some enormous size of cameras. I am only curious how smooth the movement is. It appears smoother with smaller cameras (from the Kickstarter Video). Also, I hope they maintain the $99 Dollars entry price. They could sell as many as a few DSLRs, with that pricing.