Lost/Theft Insurance

Inazuma

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You can get it as part of your homeowners or renters insurance. You may have to select "blanket coverage" for camera equipment where you don't have to itemize in advance. You get a rate for that class of items (cameras/lenses). Price might be $2-4 per $100 of coverage annually. 

You can get it as part of your homeowners or renters insurance. You may have to select "blanket coverage" for camera equipment where you don't have to itemize in advance. You get a rate for that class of items (cameras/lenses). Price might be $2-4 per $100 of coverage annually. 

Normally doesn't cover the items if they're out the house though

Normally doesn't cover the items if they're out the house though

My girlfriend's and my rental insurance (we both have our own) cover our belongings outside of the house. 

If you do get it as part of your renters/homeowners insurance, look very carefully over your terms to make sure they can't screw you out of payment over something little. 

If you're using a camera for work and it gets stolen, it's unlikely personal belongings insurance will cover it. I did a lot of research on this a few months ago and went with Photoguard. I recommend giving them a call to chat about your situation - they're very helpful. Based in Yorkshire or the north west somewhere I think.

Yeah, if you're a pro, you might need commercial insurance.

My insurance gives me some coverage outside the home although it's only a small percentage of my total contents coverage. Just call your insurance agent and tell them what you're trying to cover and ask them what's the best way to cover it. Unless it's part of insurance you're already getting anyways, I'm not sure it'll end up being worth it. There are lots of ways to get screwed by insurance companies.

If you're using a camera for work and it gets stolen, it's unlikely personal belongings insurance will cover it. I did a lot of research on this a few months ago and went with Photoguard. I recommend giving them a call to chat about your situation - they're very helpful. Based in Yorkshire or the north west somewhere I think.

Thanks for the Photoguard recommendation.

I've got my stuff on Home Insurance - not really happy with this option going forward.

But the other important aspect of insurance, if you're filming in public places, is to get Public Liability. In this day & age, if someone gets hurt by you or your kit, you will be liable - i'm really careful, but nothing's 100%.

Cheers - good topic

I use Photoguard too, they paid out after my 5DII, lens and tripod went over a waterfall in Madeira (and nearly took me with it!).. We found the camera, was surprisingly good condition, but wouldn't power on and the lens was smashed up... Photoguard paid out without any headaches.

Thanks for the Photoguard recommendation.

I've got my stuff on Home Insurance - not really happy with this option going forward.

But the other important aspect of insurance, if you're filming in public places, is to get Public Liability. In this day & age, if someone gets hurt by you or your kit, you will be liable - i'm really careful, but nothing's 100%.

Cheers - good topic

My package with Photoguard includes public liability and professional indemnity insurance, on top of the £10,000 equipment cover (including iMac and all other housebound stuff, which again may not be covered if you're using it for work). That was £300 for the year.

Top tip is itemise and tally up every single video related piece of kit you own - and get covered for it. Otherwise things get complicated with payout (apparently). 

I use Photoguard too, they paid out after my 5DII, lens and tripod went over a waterfall in Madeira (and nearly took me with it!).. We found the camera, was surprisingly good condition, but wouldn't power on and the lens was smashed up... Photoguard paid out without any headaches.

That's good to know, as insurance companies can be a real PITA about paying up!

My package with Photoguard includes public liability and professional indemnity insurance, on top of the £10,000 equipment cover (including iMac and all other housebound stuff, which again may not be covered if you're using it for work). That was £300 for the year.

Top tip is itemise and tally up every single video related piece of kit you own - and get covered for it. Otherwise things get complicated with payout (apparently). 

That's not bad at all, price-wise & considering I don't have that much high value equipment anymore - it should be cheaper.

cheers guys