The DJI OSMO - is it groundbreaking?

Andrew Reid

Yes, as an absolute pre requisite...the camera has to be able to separate from the gimbal.  If DJI doesn't allow that simple request, there's no way to justify the cost of the X5R...unless you're doing a ton of drone/gimbal work.  Even then, it's a tough sell.

However, if you can separate them and throw the X5R on a tripod and use, say, a Speedbooster and PL mount lenses somehow, I think the value goes up incrementally.  BM has some great things going but at this point the new line of cameras are as untested as the X5R, so that's a wash.  They also don't have a dedicated drone system, that's a big plus for DJI and their major selling point.  If you have no need for that, then it's a different story.

IMO it's an essential piece of gear.  The Inspire 1 drone is such an advanced piece of tech.  Being able to take it up 50 feet and let go of the sticks and get a (essentially) tripod establishing shot is so valuable.  Forget the normal drone shots, you have a mobile tripod.  Then if you could take it off, throw it on the OSMO and use a DIY crane, a car, or even just normal handheld stabilized shots is pretty important.  The cost of the OSMO by itself is really affordable compared to other stuff.

The most important thing is gimbal/camera separation though.  I have to assume that DJI will make this possible for the X5R.  If they do, I think it's a pretty big gamechanger as a complete system.  From tripod, to handheld, to dolly/crane, to car, to drone...4K/RAW at the size/weight of an orange and controlled via an app on your phone.  Crazy.

If they don't separate gimbal/camera...it's a much harder sell because you would still need an "A cam".  I want it to be my A Cam, I really do.  I'm hoping it checks off all of the essentials.  TBD I suppose.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, as an absolute pre requisite...the camera has to be able to separate from the gimbal.  If DJI doesn't allow that simple request, there's no way to justify the cost of the X5R...unless you're doing a ton of drone/gimbal work.  Even then, it's a tough sell.

However, if you can separate them and throw the X5R on a tripod and use, say, a Speedbooster and PL mount lenses somehow, I think the value goes up incrementally.  BM has some great things going but at this point the new line of cameras are as untested as the X5R, so that's a wash.  They also don't have a dedicated drone system, that's a big plus for DJI and their major selling point.  If you have no need for that, then it's a different story.

IMO it's an essential piece of gear.  The Inspire 1 drone is such an advanced piece of tech.  Being able to take it up 50 feet and let go of the sticks and get a (essentially) tripod establishing shot is so valuable.  Forget the normal drone shots, you have a mobile tripod.  Then if you could take it off, throw it on the OSMO and use a DIY crane, a car, or even just normal handheld stabilized shots is pretty important.  The cost of the OSMO by itself is really affordable compared to other stuff.

The most important thing is gimbal/camera separation though.  I have to assume that DJI will make this possible for the X5R.  If they do, I think it's a pretty big gamechanger as a complete system.  From tripod, to handheld, to dolly/crane, to car, to drone...4K/RAW at the size/weight of an orange and controlled via an app on your phone.  Crazy.

If they don't separate gimbal/camera...it's a much harder sell because you would still need an "A cam".  I want it to be my A Cam, I really do.  I'm hoping it checks off all of the essentials.  TBD I suppose.

The problem is that from the information that I can gather the X5R will not shoot RAW on the SD card but only on the SSD that is on a different mount!

"The ZENMUSE X5R has an integrated 512GB SSD drive for storing the lossless video recorded. DJI has designed an editing software specifically for lossless videos, enabling high-end filmmakers to easily edit and process the videos according to their own needs." 

So I am not sure if you can even have RAW with the OSMO. 

dji_x5_x5r_5.thumb.jpeg.9d749d04c4d2a0bb

• Administrators

My belief is the raw module works with OSMO.

The OSMO is just a controller stick.

All the image processing and storage to memory is on the camera gimbal.

All the OSMO does is connect to the base of that. In fact you can see where it connects to the base of the X5R in the pic above.

My enthusiasm for the OSMO got slightly curbed upon seeing the sample footage on YouTube this evening, couldn't they have got some decent filmmakers to shoot something less tacky? The X3 small chip look doesn't look nice. Any close up on a person and they are softer than the background. No AF system. Wasn't needed in the air, now it is. It may be a wide lens and a tiny chip but you still notice that it is fixed on infinity. It is a weird look for close-ups. People are definably just slightly out of focus. The colour and dynamic range doesn't look nice either. Unless one lands on my lap to review I think I will pass on it until the X5R drops in price. This thing really does benefit from the larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. The sample footage of the OSMO with the X5 is WAY better.

All the OSMO does is connect to the base of that. In fact you can see where it connects to the base of the X5R in the pic above.

Yeah you are correct. I thought that only the gimbal is fixed on the handle.

My enthusiasm for the OSMO got slightly curbed upon seeing the sample footage on YouTube this evening, couldn't they have got some decent filmmakers to shoot something less tacky? The X3 small chip look doesn't look nice. Any close up on a person and they are softer than the background. No AF system. Wasn't needed in the air, now it is. It may be a wide lens and a tiny chip but you still notice that it is fixed on infinity. It is a weird look for close-ups. People are definably just slightly out of focus. The colour and dynamic range doesn't look nice either. Unless one lands on my lap to review I think I will pass on it until the X5R drops in price. This thing really does benefit from the larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. The sample footage of the OSMO with the X5 is WAY better.

The X3 compression is really bad.  The X5 hasn't improved on it much but I can already see the gains from interchangeable lenses and the extra DR.  With that in a RAW package, I think the X5R will be a really great solution since the RAW stills on the X5 are great.  Granted, it's a full readout and the RAW video from the X5R will not be.  Still, it should allow you to get good looking colours.

I think the X5R will be worth the price.  A 4K/RAW camera that can handle all of the establishing shots and maybe work in unison with a BMCC for the close ups/talent footage.  It will be pricey but I would take the X5R/OSMO/Inspire with a BMCC over a middle of the line Sony camera.  

Basically, the production value you will gain from a 4K/RAW drone/gimbal camera is worth it, even if it is relegated to B-Cam work.  If it can handle A Camera work...even better.  

Then it would be the only camera in my kit.

I own the the Inspire and it's like having a tripod sitting in the sky...this will be another tool to add to your kit and used carefully could do amazing things in the right place...as with so much gear will it be perfect....no...but the story will really be, how good is your film, commercial, short narrative piece etc.....and if that is together, the audience will not give a hoot whether the Iphone footage looks better. All these clips were thrown together to make it appear like a chimp could use this, which is why it looks bad...but for someone taking the time...as with anything you shoot, you could get great results and at $269, for me this handle is a no-brainer...

Definitely a sign of things to come. I've been flirting with a pistol grip style gimbal like the CAME TV Single for my a7s with 35mm or RX100 IV. Seems like the perfect carry everywhere solution for travelers still aiming for cinematic results, just throw it into your backpack and you can travel the world with a mini steadicam. 

I could see next year something like this combining 1 inch sensors and the faster autofocus we've been seeing from various manufacturers. Or if it was a pistol grip with some sort of focus knob like on a wireless follow focus built onto the back of the device and syncing to a focus gear coming out from the baseplate to the lens (if that description makes sense at all), I could see that being a pretty intuitive and portable setup that allows for maximum single operator control. 

Tangent.. this is my own weird dream product, but what do you guys think about a 35mm equivalent fast lens 1 inch sensor compact, like the RX100 but with no extrusion needed to house the collapsible lens? Seems like those Sony engineers could figure that out. The RX100 is slightly too bulky for my jeans pockets, but I love the simplicity of street photography camera with viewfinder that slips into your pocket, like s110 dimensions. Basically a tiny X100T or RX1 ii Definitely niche, but I'd pay good money for it.

The real challenge with small gimbals is eliminating movement. This may sound counter to the purpose of a gimbal, but remember, these are only 3-axis. They don't stabilize lateral or vertical shift, so any movements to that effect (bouncing from walking being the most common) will still translate into your footage. Bigger gimbals like the Ronin give more steady footage due to their inertia from being heavier. Of course, increased weight has its own drawbacks. I currently run the Ronin M, but I've also run the original Ronin. The weight difference has a serious effect on shift stabilization even between those two gimbals. With practice, an operator can learn to minimize bounce with special walking techniques, but overall the "bounce" of step remains the key difference between steadycams and gimbals. I am hopeful that soon more gimbals will integrate some form of 4th axis stabilization to eliminate bounce, but on these small, literally handheld gimbals, it's really the biggest limitation by far, OSMO or other brands.

• Administrators

The X3 compression is really bad.  The X5 hasn't improved on it much but I can already see the gains from interchangeable lenses and the extra DR.  With that in a RAW package, I think the X5R will be a really great solution since the RAW stills on the X5 are great.  Granted, it's a full readout and the RAW video from the X5R will not be.  Still, it should allow you to get good looking colours.

I think the X5R will be worth the price.  A 4K/RAW camera that can handle all of the establishing shots and maybe work in unison with a BMCC for the close ups/talent footage.  It will be pricey but I would take the X5R/OSMO/Inspire with a BMCC over a middle of the line Sony camera.  

Basically, the production value you will gain from a 4K/RAW drone/gimbal camera is worth it, even if it is relegated to B-Cam work.  If it can handle A Camera work...even better.  

Then it would be the only camera in my kit.

Is 4K raw on the X5 a 2.3x crop like the GH4's sensor?

It would have been great if DJI kept doing drones (which they do pretty well) and GoPro kept doing cameras (which they do pretty well).

DJI brought easiness in the drone world. Before DJI to configurate a drone you had to study and master a lot pages of configurations with a lot of variables (-100 to +100).   

I can't understand why GoPro haven't make a GoPro 4K Pro, with c-mount lenses, log profile and longer battery life. 

Is 4K raw on the X5 a 2.3x crop like the GH4's sensor?

I think it's the same in almost every way.  With raw photos being the widest, 2.2x in 4K/DCI and 2.3x in UHD.

With a 3:2 native sensor I really hope they realize the potential of the X5R and allow a 4:3/full sensor height video option.  For $5,000...it almost needs to be in there.

Here we go again :)  ...empty words without your own ideas of how you're going to do that... let's share the knowledge...

Indeed.  Point taken.  I'm trying by attempting to find interesting people --and then doing justice (as best I can) to tell the stories that define them.  Maybe one way to do that is to use a OSMO.  It's possible.  Who knows?

I believe that the Novo 4K is a GoPro 4K modified for C-mount lenses.

Radiant Images has also modified earlier GoPros to take interchangeable lenses.

There is a market, I can't understand why GoPro didn't tried it directly! GoPro are great cameras in many ways and the biggest problem is the fisheye lens. If they resolved the fisheye lens they would bring a camera to the market not only for people who jump out of planes or sky in black trails!!! ;-)