The DJI OSMO - is it groundbreaking?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The DJI OSMO - is it groundbreaking?

I imagine that if you dropped it on the pavement that it would be groundbreaking.

Seriously, I think it is a great product, but it seems more of a natural phase of the evolution and miniaturization of balancing/gimbal/camera technology, rather than a major breakthrough.

Gimbals certainly are helpful tools, but they can never replace the precision and artistry of a good Steadicam operator.  Furthermore, both a gimbal and a Steadicam give a dramatically different look/movement than a camera on, say, a Fisher 10 dolly.  Dollies give a more solid and controlled feel.

What is the difference between this and a cheap gimbal and a GoPro Hero 4?  About the same price... OSMO is more visibly attractive, but the HERO 4 is a mature product and you can remove the HERO 4 from the gimbal and use it in other applications.  I dont see the reason that this product is getting so much play.

Now if they released the MFT version at this price, I could completely understand the excitement over that.

Andrew mentions it...

When every hipster in the world has awesome image IQ and steady shots, what will you be doing that makes your work more impressive than that trust fund kid standing in the same spots as you?

Creating interesting stories is what's gonna matter.

Tell a better story.  Be a better editor.  Those skills are your future currency.

Don't love the small gimbal gopro footage I've seen. This could be better for IQ than that easily, but the style is a little weird to me. I was excited when I heard the specs mft 4k raw consumer camera before, picturing a raw gh4, but THIS becomes difficult to use as an actual camera.. not sure about it. I'm sure people will have some fun with it though

We have on at my office. It's ok. The image is a little noisey in the shadow areas.  I've run into issues getting an image on my iPhone 6 when I'm indoors. It seems like it can't compete with other wifi signals.  The gimbal itself seems to fight against you a little bit especially when turning a corner or circling. I'm still fiddling with the settings so this is jut my preliminary experience. At the same time we have definitely been able to get some cool shots with it. I still think our helix rig works better but I like the smaller form factor. 

Andrew I'm curious to hear about your experience. 

Aaron- I don`t think there`s any stabiliser that would compensate for bounce. The only solution would be an object locked tracker (ala face recognition) in display sending the information to gimbal or in case of film set-up a transmiter/transponder placed on actor sending coordinates to gimbal. Still, there would be of course some vertical change of background objects.

Andrew- As to smaller optics for S35 what about Cosina Voightlander line of old LTM lenses like 15mm, 21mm, 25mm and so on. They are all 100 something gram lightweights.

Imagine if after all this time with shallow depth of field and static tripod we just wanted to get stuff in focus and move the camera...

Read the full article

Image doesn't look as good as the newer GoPros with Protune to my eyes. And with the cheaper standalone gimbals at least you can upgrade the GoPro easily as new models come out.

• Administrators

A bit of bounce vs no shot at all.

I know what I'd rather take.

Andrew mentions it...

When every hipster in the world has awesome image IQ and steady shots, what will you be doing that makes your work more impressive than that trust fund kid standing in the same spots as you?

Creating interesting stories is what's gonna matter.

Tell a better story.  Be a better editor.  Those skills are your future currency.

Here we go again :)

You're right of course.

But they're empty words without your own ideas of how you're going to do that... let's share the knowledge...

Forget the OSMO for a second.  I don't know if people realize how awesome this new X5R camera will be.  4K RAW that is the size (and weight) of an orange.  Think of all the costs you could cut.  

With an Inspire 1, an OSMO, and the X5R you have an AMAZINGLY versatile kit.  You can put that camera all over the place.  Build yourself a 30 foot DIY crane and throw the OSMO on the end.  Attach it to the car mount and shoot car interiors the easy way.  Throw it on the drone and get any establishing shot you want.  Put it on the tripod and use it like a normal camera.

Honestly, the "make or break" thing at this point is, they need to allow us to use any lenses we want for non OSMO/Inspire applications, which I'm sure they will.

Personally, I'm going to use this set up for everything for a while.  Tired of big cameras, tired of being slowed down by my gear.  I'm willing to sacrifice a few things to have such a versatile camera that is portable and easy to use.  

Did you see the footage? It looks terrible. E-M1 has better quality than this. Or even my note 5 really. 

Maybe with the X5R it will be great. But from what I see I would rather wait for the E-M1II. 

This is the X3?  That's like saying the new BMCC 4.6K is going to suck while showing footage from the 2.8K version.

Forget the OSMO for a second.  I don't know if people realize how awesome this new X5R camera will be.  4K RAW that is the size (and weight) of an orange.  Think of all the costs you could cut.  

With an Inspire 1, an OSMO, and the X5R you have an AMAZINGLY versatile kit.  You can put that camera all over the place.  Build yourself a 30 foot DIY crane and throw the OSMO on the end.  Attach it to the car mount and shoot car interiors the easy way.  Throw it on the drone and get any establishing shot you want.  Put it on the tripod and use it like a normal camera.

Honestly, the "make or break" thing at this point is, they need to allow us to use any lenses we want for non OSMO/Inspire applications, which I'm sure they will.

Personally, I'm going to use this set up for everything for a while.  Tired of big cameras, tired of being slowed down by my gear.  I'm willing to sacrifice a few things to have such a versatile camera that is portable and easy to use.  

DJI X5R + gimbal $5600 

or

BM micro studio 4K + Video Assist + nebula4000 for $2500? 

The DJI might be a slightly smaller package but keep in mind that a) it is untested b) people have problems with the wireless connection. The BM solution is more versatile (you can put other cameras) , tested and costs less than half the money!  

This is the X3?  That's like saying the new BMCC 4.6K is going to suck while showing footage from the 2.8K version.

Yes, that was the X3 and the terrible goes for the X3 that a big part of the article was about. If you want to talk about the X5R then you have to take into account the $5600 price tag for a fairly specialized camera.  

Since the camera is always going to be attached to the gimbal (which has fairly small motors) I think the lens choice will always be limited to very lightweight lenses for the gimbal to work, unless there is a way to use this without using the gimbal, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of the product and would propably be a huge pain in the arse to use and in the end you would propably be better of with a ¨real¨ camera anyway :d

DJI X5R + gimbal $5600 

or

BM micro studio 4K + Video Assist + nebula4000 for $2500? 

The DJI might be a slightly smaller package but keep in mind that a) it is untested b) people have problems with the wireless connection. The BM solution is more versatile (you can put other cameras) , tested and costs less than half the money!  

If BM would just ship the damn camera...