C300 Mark II side-by-side A7S II

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Ah you have both cameras! Try the same sharpness on the picture profiles. Raise detail from -7 to 0 on the A7S II S-LOG profile and maybe try a prime, I doubt the mega zoom is that sharp even stopped down.

Looks closely matched in the grade. Did you shoot Canon LOG 2 and S-LOG 2?

Arghhh, these reviews are making it harder and harder to decide... It is summarising exactly what I thought the C300II would be... a really great, practical camera with a beautiful image, let down by the lack of HFR. I just know it is gonna be a success though, where the Sonys will plummet in value.... and RED Raven will be a bit impractical (for my uses)... Hoping for some Ursa 4.6k footage to appear soon to make the choices more simple.

How was it graded and what pic profile was used though?

I'm sure JCS can give more details but this is on the YouTube page:

C300 II: Gamma: Canon Log, Color Space: DCI-P3, Color Matrix: EOS Standard, 4K 410Mbps XF-AVC (ALL-I 422 10-bit H.264).
A7S II: Gamma: Slog2, Color Mode: SGamut3.cine, +16 Saturation, -7 Sharpness. 4K 100Mbps XAVC-S (IPB 420 8-bit H.264).

Clearly the Canon looked better and had far superior skin tones and was the champ for AF.

Good lord if my wife came home and saw me watch that video of a guy filming himself in side-by-side mode she'd really start to wonder about me.

On a side note - I'd rather have 5x the camera angles with 5 A7sII's than a single C300  - would be much more interesting viewing no matter how you pan and punch in the 4k image.  Wait, I have to buy glass and 1000 batteries for those other 4 bodies?  Hmmm...

AF, miles apart. But I do think the skin tones are perfectly fine. Good, even. Worth mentioning against the current tidal wave of opinions completely dismissing the A7 series for having really poor skin tones.

Am I missing something? The Sony skin is hard to look at. Watch when he turns his head, why is there pink blotches in his ear. What is that tint around his eyelids? 

I would love to see a test in mixed lighting. You start getting frustrated when every color is rendered out slightly off. Canon skin tones can look great in nearly any situation. 

Don't forget, when we're talking color and tonal precision in skin, we're comparing an 8-bit camera to a 10-bit camera. Not to mention that the A7S II is stretching a LOG profile across that 8-bit depth. Huge difference in codecs, as well. Sony's 100mbps XAVC-S codec isn't even as good as Panasonic's internal codec, let alone the C300 II's. 

Not to mention that the A7S II is stretching a LOG profile across that 8-bit depth. 

Exactly. Sony's S-Log2 is flatter than the clog and the s-gamut3.cine is larger than the P3. So effectively sony has to put more colors in a smaller tonal range with limited number of samples (8 bit). 

A better test for skin colors would be with Cine2/Cine4 and Pro/Cinema colors on the A7Sii side. Add proper WB and slight adjustments of the color channels and it will be hard to see a difference. 

Exactly. Sony's S-Log2 is flatter than the clog and the s-gamut3.cine is larger than the P3. So effectively sony has to put more colors in a smaller tonal range with limited number of samples (8 bit). 

A better test for skin colors would be with Cine2/Cine4 and Pro/Cinema colors on the A7Sii side. Add proper WB and slight adjustments of the color channels and it will be hard to see a difference. 

Exactly. Shoot each camera for best results, not the most identical settings. They're different cameras with different strengths. 

I'd love to see a skin tone comparison with the A7S II shot Brandon Li style, with Autumn Leaves and mild CC.