Defective Sony A7Sii?

VideoTrev

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but figured I'd make this post because I've scoured the internet for information on what I'm experiencing and have yet to find anything similar. I know 99% of the time hardware issues are user error so I'm hoping someone can give me some "forehead slapping" advice here.  In a nut shell I'm experiencing 2 problems with my A7Sii and I'm trying to figure out if I should send the camera back and claim it as defective. There's a lot I like about this camera aside from these issues so hopefully there are some easy fixes. 

The 2 problems are. 

1. The LCD screen on the back randomly shuts off frequently for various amounts of time. This may be due to the fact that I'm shooting with canon EF glass via a Metabones T Smart Adapter Mark IV for Canon EF lenses. I've heard of issues with these adaptors but I'd thought that the Mark IV had solved this problem. On a side note I've done the most recent firmware upgrade but it has not helped. Also when recording and experiencing this issues the clip recorded is not effected.  

2. The second and more concerning issues is the noise I'm seeing in the different ISO levels. The image is clean until around 3200iso then it becomes pretty bad as you can see from the untreated clips I've posted. Oddly the signal becomes very clean again at 10,000iso as well as 12,800iso but after that the noise starts to comes back. Now I know even this camera for all it's hype will experience some noise in the higher levels but from what I've seen online people are producing pretty good results even at iso's up to 51,000 and certainly at 3200. My real concern is from  iso 3200 to 8000. I've played with some of the footage in different color grading programs to clean it up but with so much noise at certain levels I've not been very successful. Why my camera has noise at lower levels (3200) then cleans back about around 10,000iso makes me think something is wrong. 

I'd love to get others advice or opinions on this as well as questions and or suggestions that may help me get to the bottom of the issues. 

CLIP SPECS:

- 23.976 fps

- Lens: Canon 24-105mm f/4

- Adaptor: Metabones T Smart Adapter Mark IV for Canon EF lens to Sony E-mount camera. 

A7Sii_ISO_TEST.mp4

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

1. Have you checked the eye sensor for the EVF is turned off in the menus?

2. It is under exposure causing the noise you're seeing. Are you in S-LOG mode?

You should not under expose the shot and with S-LOG actually over expose it 2 stops to the right on the LCD exposure meter.

At all ISOs cameras have noise in the very deepest black shadows.

If you underexpose ISO 3200 and look at the blacks, of course you will see more noise in them than 12,800 at the same exposure, because 12,800 will be brighter and you will be looking mainly at mid-tones.

1. Have you checked the eye sensor for the EVF is turned off in the menus?

2. It is under exposure causing the noise you're seeing. Are you in S-LOG mode?

You should not under expose the shot and with S-LOG actually over expose it 2 stops to the right on the LCD exposure meter.

At all ISOs cameras have noise in the very deepest black shadows.

If you underexpose ISO 3200 and look at the blacks, of course you will see more noise in them than 12,800 at the same exposure, because 12,800 will be brighter and you will be looking mainly at mid-tones.

Thanks for taking a look Andrew. 

1. I've not checked if the EVF is turned off in the menus. I will do so and test again tonight. 

2. I was in fact in S-LOG3 mode while shooting this and I had the lens all the way open at F4 the whole time. 

I'll try overexposing it 2 stops to the right on the LCD exposure meter tonight as well.

I agree about there being some level of noise no matter what in the deepest blacks but it still seems odd to me that, all things equal, ISO 10,000 through 25,000 would look better then ISO 4,000 to 8,000. Again I'll run a test tonight in a different picture profile without S-LOG and see what happens. 

What's really bugging me is what happens between ISO 10,000 and 8,000. It's an extreme not seen between any other ISO. 

• Administrators

Yeah S-LOG 3 has a ton of noise in the shadows.

Like I said 12,800 exposed +2 will look cleaner than ISO 3200 exposed -2, because noise over brightly exposed objects is barely visible. In the darkest greyest shadows that is when you see it and if like in your video at the lower ISOs your entire shot is dark then that is why you see so much noise!

S-LOG needs over exposing, then pulling down in post. If you leave it as it came off the card (did you?) or try to boost the exposure, you will get a ton of noise. It isn't like a standard picture profile.

It seems to me that Trevor's point is being missed. The 'kind' of noise and the strange color shifts are just as if not more troublesome than the amount of noise. Not to mention that even though Andrews explanation has the ring of truth to it, my gut tells me there's something funky happening there too. He may have a faulty unit. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Thank everyone for your comments. I agree with Jonesy on this being anreal issues. I've also contacted a few other shooters I know in LA and showed this video around. The general consensus is that something is definitely wrong with the camera. A few of them have the A7S markI and tell me they've seen nothing like this on their cameras so back to B&H the camera goes. 

I'll make sure to do a follow up test with the new camera once I have it and post the results here. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the A7Sii for about a week now and am having the same noise issues especially in s-log3.  I have done multiple test shots in daylight, lightly lit rooms and over/under/correctly exposed in each location and all shots seem to have a similar noise throughout.    Im starting to wonder if Sony ha a bad batch of a7sii.

VideoTrev, any luck with your a7sii?

• 11 months later...