strobe effect while filming video

Omer Sehayek

I am starting to discover strange things about the NX-1 video abilities....no doubt they are good but happened to me twice already that I got the flickering (strobe) effect from artificial light source no matter what frame rate I used. Usually with neon and certain led lights 50 frames per second or 60 (depends if you shoot PAL or NTSC) will make it go away but no so with the NX-1....I worked with it on two different locations where I had this issue only with the NX-1 and not my canon camera....

Is that normal? anyone knows why? 

Thanks.....and by the way....does the Rocky mountain convertor comes in an english version also?  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds like it is a shutter speed issue. Depending on where you are in the world and what the Hz frequency are for the lighting fixtures, it is common to experience flicker/strobing when reviewing footage. It is often solved by dropping shutter speed down to a lower value than the Hz frequency. I.e 1/30 shutter speed for 50Hz countries for example. Flicker/strobing not always visible in live view, so often it's good to record a clip, then review playback to decide  best shutter speed. If shooting 50 or 60fps you may find the minimum shutter speed is locked to a value that will not eliminate flicker, in that case it sometimes can work if you increase the shutter speed, but then you will likely experience 'phasing' - where the refresh/Hz of the light frequency 'catches up' in sync to your shutter speed, creating an ugly band of moving light. Best advice is to shoot lower shutter speed when possible for regular frame rate, for high speed - it's often a good idea to record a clip at various shutter speeds and then playback to decipher best compromise of speed to minimise banding/phasing.

I know that already....still it happens with certain lights. It only goes away (not completely when I shoot 1920X1080 or less.....there is also a strange half a second light change when I shoot on certain conditions, not sure yet why.

I was wondering why the NX-1 cant get rid of the store effect when other cameras can....is it something to do with the sensor?

thanks

Some older light sources using low frequency ballasts will flicker no matter what you do (unless you can change the frame rate to jibe with the light's output frequency). There still remain fluorescents, sodium vapor, mercury vapor, HMI (magnetic ballast) that are driven by such low frequency ballasts.

LED sources are also sometimes driven at lower frequencies and cause flicker.

• 2 weeks later...

guys I think you are not understanding what i am saying....

I know about frequencies and so...I know what cause the strobe effect. What I don't understand is why on other cameras, like my 5d mark 2 when I shoot in the same light with the same frame rate I get a good image and with the nx-1 I get the flickering....and by the way, when you shoot 4k the nx-1 will show more flickering then when you shoot FHD....I don't understand why. Is something is wrong with my camera or you all got the same problem. 

Again, what i am saying is that the nx-1 will flicker when a different camera won't with the same settings.

thanks