Where is the V Log love?

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think many GH4 users have external recorders - I know the reason I initially bought the camera was so that I wouldn't have to buy a recorder. Most of the chatter on this forum seemed to be critical of noise, banding, etc with V Log internal, and while that hasn't scared me away from buying it, it certainly hasn't put me in a rush to spend the money.

I'm surprised at the lack of V Log enthusiasm on EOSHD considering the amount of GH4 users. I'm blown away every day by how great it looks via 10 bit Pro Res. Maybe the A7SII release has something to do with the deterred attention.

Weren't you one of the many guys who said VLog was overrated, with terrible exposure issues, including the histogram and other issues like macro blocking etc?

I am guessing external recording and some of these other issues scared people off ... ;-)

Weren't you one of the many guys who said VLog was overrated, with terrible exposure issues, including the histogram and other issues like macro blocking etc?

I am guessing external recording and some of these other issues scared people off ... ;-)

I never said it was overrated, or terrible exposure issues. I actually really loved everything about it except the macroblocking. But that was when I was testing it with internal + Varicam LUT. Those 2 are not the greatest combo.

I don't think many GH4 users have external recorders - I know the reason I initially bought the camera was so that I wouldn't have to buy a recorder. Most of the chatter on this forum seemed to be critical of noise, banding, etc with V Log internal, and while that hasn't scared me away from buying it, it certainly hasn't put me in a rush to spend the money.

I totally get that point of view. In fact that was me a few months ago. I love just having something ready to pick up and record. After testing V Log with 10 bit recorder though I loved the image so much that I can now justify using an Assassin alongside as an A cam option. It can easily cut into Epic or BMCC footage.

I am still waiting my copy of V-Log update. We are a bit slow in Europe with that or at least here in Finland... :/ I also recently invested in Atomos Ninja Assassin. Much to test and learn about...

Skintones on GH4 have been the hard one for me to this day. Been using Cine-D and Natural. Hope that after Vlog update + 10-bit recording I'll get better results!

The thing I am worried about is filesizes! How you guys handle this? Especially 10-bit recordings in 422 ProRes much be quite big files, right?

I've been shooting 4K quite long now and even the GH4 internal recording file sizes are quite big...

I am still waiting my copy of V-Log update. We are a bit slow in Europe with that or at least here in Finland... :/ I also recently invested in Atomos Ninja Assassin. Much to test and learn about...

Skintones on GH4 have been the hard one for me to this day. Been using Cine-D and Natural. Hope that after Vlog update + 10-bit recording I'll get better results!

The thing I am worried about is filesizes! How you guys handle this? Especially 10-bit recordings in 422 ProRes much be quite big files, right?

I've been shooting 4K quite long now and even the GH4 internal recording file sizes are quite big...

Depending on the project, you could just shoot 4K downsampled to HD on the Assassin and have a great looking image at lower file size.

I was very excited about V-Log, because GH4 is a great camera (the one I use most of the time), but really needed a flat profile such as the BMPCC. 
But, for my experience it is very difficult to obtain great results inside a room with lights or in natural light: I had a lot of noise. Way too much for my taste.

Outside it's slightly better, but I had some difficulties focusing.

In my opinion it is something not comparable to the amazing BMPCC's ProRes flat file, but I would be more then happy if you have suggestions that could change my opinion. I love BMPCC files, but I really don't like the working process on it, so I end using always GH4.

I cannot afford an external recorder in this moment (I just bought a 3 axis gimbal), so probably I cannot have great results because I record on the SD card.

Wich LUT do you use for V-LogL?
Thank you very much Aaron :)

The GH4 is just grainy in dark conditions, like the F35 or film. Once you accept that, you'll like it a whole lot better.

Unlike A7X S-LOG 2/3, I've seen almost uniformly great results from V-LOG in samples from Vimeo and Youtube. Externally recorded and exposed properly, it can hang with--or even beat-- cameras in the the $7-$10k range.

Keep in mind that 4K recorders will only get smaller and cheaper from here, and the ones we have now are already practical for most shooting situations. 

Once I triple my investment with the Sigma lens, Metabones speedbooster and an external 4K recorder; I am sure V Log will be awesome. At the moment shooting internally with a kit lens I see the dynamic range potential, but it has highlighted to me how important it is to know how to expose properly (which I don't). I shall be taking things back to basics for a while with another profile, unless in great light outdoors when I have time to shoot twice.

At the moment it just feels like I am breaking the image by shooting in poor to average light on a slow lens: gaining some dynamic range at the expense of noise. I have to say it can handle pretty high ISO from my limited time with it- part of my initial issue was under exposing to try and keep ISO down, which was a mistake. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
Where is the V Log love? 

There isn't.

I can direct to a lot of V Log hate though! :d 

I sold the GH4 the moment I tested V-Log.

I actually sold my first GH4 for the videoy images, then when I knew a filmic real Log profile is coming, I bought it again (the same unit, at a loss), and I was waiting for it to fix the video image, it simply didn't. 

sold it again to the same guy ( at another bigger loss) after V-Log testing...

Not an image I'd ever touch with a 10 feet clown pole. 

Now that I've bought a Ninja Blade, I am not willing to buy it for the third time to test how it looks externally. The GH4 experience already cost me a C100 cost, with all the loss in selling/rebuying, dedicated m43s lenses that I bought and sold, the SB that I bought and sold, the batteries and cards, the adapters to Nikon F, Canon EF, PL, M42, so excuse my experience is a tiny teeny tad bit on the bad side with this particular camera model! 

Glad some people are liking it though!

I was very excited about V-Log, because GH4 is a great camera (the one I use most of the time), but really needed a flat profile such as the BMPCC. 
But, for my experience it is very difficult to obtain great results inside a room with lights or in natural light: I had a lot of noise. Way too much for my taste.

Outside it's slightly better, but I had some difficulties focusing.

In my opinion it is something not comparable to the amazing BMPCC's ProRes flat file, but I would be more then happy if you have suggestions that could change my opinion. I love BMPCC files, but I really don't like the working process on it, so I end using always GH4.

I cannot afford an external recorder in this moment (I just bought a 3 axis gimbal), so probably I cannot have great results because I record on the SD card.

Wich LUT do you use for V-LogL?
Thank you very much Aaron :)

Using a monitor with LUT capabilities is a huge help. Its much easier to focus, see color, and expose properly. My go-to LUT now is the Impulz Cineon to Film Contrast 1.

Where is the V Log love? 

There isn't.

I can direct to a lot of V Log hate though! :d 

I sold the GH4 the moment I tested V-Log.

I actually sold my first GH4 for the videoy images, then when I knew a filmic real Log profile is coming, I bought it again (the same unit, at a loss), and I was waiting for it to fix the video image, it simply didn't. 

sold it again to the same guy ( at another bigger loss) after V-Log testing...

Not an image I'd ever touch with a 10 feet clown pole. 

Now that I've bought a Ninja Blade, I am not willing to buy it for the third time to test how it looks externally. The GH4 experience already cost me a C100 cost, with all the loss in selling/rebuying, dedicated m43s lenses that I bought and sold, the SB that I bought and sold, the batteries and cards, the adapters to Nikon F, Canon EF, PL, M42, so excuse my experience is a tiny teeny tad bit on the bad side with this particular camera model! 

Glad some people are liking it though!

Thats unfortunate. You should rent one and try it again with the Ninja Blade. IMO it's worth every penny.

can the gh4 do 1080 60fps and output it in 10bit 422?

Yes it can!

Thank you!How do you manage the noise? In post or do you have some hints for avoiding it?

I haven't run into much noise yet. However I haven't had a low light situation really. I suppose if the noise was bad I'd use Neat Video. It seems to work well on other cameras.