A7RII Slog3? Firmware Update Possible?

exomonkeyman

Hello there. i can only imagine that this has been posted before, but do you reckon a firmware update could add Slog3 to the sony A7RII like it's video brother the A7SII?

Or is it a game of it could happen... but it would hurt the A7SII and it's unique one of a kind special "Slog3" feature too much. Technically that's not impossible right?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Sony seem to have reserved it for now as a selling point of the A7S II.

Maybe 6 months later there will be a small chance.

But enough people ask for it, it will happen... Like uncompressed raw stills did.

There's a solid logic for Sony to add it in...

On a shoot with FS7, A7S II both set to S-LOG 3... An A7R II on Super 35mm duties set to S-LOG 2 doesn't make much sense does it!?

Indeed!

But hey, Sony didn't notice their reds were pink in S-LOG, so I don't expect them to listen to me on menu shortcuts :)

That's how S-Gamut is supposed to work. It's a storage format, not meant to be graded by amateur colorists without R709/P3 LUTs. 

img_01.jpg

Every A7S video shot in S-LOG/S-Gamut I've seen that's been handled by a professional colorist has looked great, which tells me it's inexperience and lack of knowledge, not a weakness of the hardware. If you want something easier to grade with a simple curve or two, perhaps you should try the Pro or Cinema gamuts. Pro's given me great results in the two A7S shoots I've worked on.

• Administrators

No, actually Sony shouldn't expect the A7 target audience to be director, writer, producer, cinematographer, professional colourist.

These cameras are in a lot of single operators hands.

Canon LOG is easier to handle for a reason!

Sony made a mistake. S-LOG as an option, fine. No alternative to S-LOG = not fine. The cinema gamuts don't fix the colour difficulties in post. And the Cine gamma curves are not LOG.

Would you rather have more time to edit and direct and shoot... or spend it all fucking with Resolve?