Canon Q3 profits down 21%. Where to now?

squig

(...)

Welcome Anthony!

Nice to see you here around : )

Funny to see some of you from dvxuser in this corner so many times underestimated there...

Makes me proud to be one of the first dvxuser members to recognise the merit of Andrew to build up an unbiased community made by filmmakers really not committed with any brand or agenda in particular in any other than as indie filmmaking.

Emanuel :-)

PS: I've read some criticism in both sides of the coin. Disappointing to see people are unable to feed up a friendly vibe instead. Both are terrific locations to make friends and stay. Glad to defend both homes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/27/canon-results-idUSL4N0SM25K20141027

"The consumer shift to smartphones for casual photo taking has pummelled demand for compact cameras, while the growing popularity of lighter mirrorless cameras has taken away market share from higher margin single-lens reflex cameras."

Hardly surprising; Canon hasn't done much to improve its DSLRs since the 5DMKII came out in 2007, & if it wasn't for the demand for feature improvements from filmmakers & videographers, Canon would've lost even more of its market share sooner.

So you think people that have turned to smartphones for photography are going to spend over $1,000 on some brand of camera they never heard of to shoot 4k video?  How many people in America do you think even own a computer that is capable of smoothly editing 4k video?  I do not personally know anyone who even knows what adobe premier nor da vinci resolve are.  I'm just shocked when I see someone holding their phone horizontally when shooting a video.  I'm not saying there isn't a market out there for cameras that shoot great video but it is nowhere near the size of the DSLR market back in the heyday.

When I go to my local big box electronics store I see Canon and Nikon DSLRs.  I saw two Sony mirrorless cameras an a6000 and an a7.  No a7s.  No Panasonic, as usual.  No Olympus.  You would literally have to drive 100 miles in chunks of America to find someone that has any Panasonic or Olympus interchangeable lens cameras in stock.  No one I know personally owns a mirroless camera nor a Panasonic or Olympus interchangeable lens camera.

• Super Members

Just for the sake of debate. I have highlighted all the mirror less so they can be found. Strange that so many "grandpas" are buying camera that they push the statistics this way.

Most used cameras on Flickr 2014
Top Camera Brand: Canon 13.4% (+0.4% since the year before)
Runner ups: Apple (9.6%), Nikon (9.3%), Samsung (5.6%), Sony (4.2%)

Best selling cameras as of today on B&H
Nikon D750
Sony A7sii
Canon 5Dmkiii
Sony A7rii
Canon Rebel T5
Nikon D810
Canon 7Dii
Canon 6D
Nikon D7200
Samsung Galaxy

Best selling cameras as of today on Amazon

Canon EOS Rebel T5
Canon EOS Rebel T5 Kit
Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Nikon D3200
Canon EOS 6D
Nikon D7200
Nikon D750
Canon EOS Rebel T5i
Fujifilm FinePix S8600

Most popular cameras as of today on a Swedish price comparison site.
Panasonic GM1
(on sale for $300 with lens)
Canon 70D
Canon 6D
Canon 70Dii
Nikon D7200
Canon 700D
Nikon D750
Sony A7rii
Nikon D610
Samsung NX500 (Price just dropped)

When I go to my local big box electronics store I see Canon and Nikon DSLRs.  I saw two Sony mirrorless cameras an a6000 and an a7.  No a7s.  No Panasonic, as usual.  No Olympus.  You would literally have to drive 100 miles in chunks of America to find someone that has any Panasonic or Olympus interchangeable lens cameras in stock.  No one I know personally owns a mirroless camera nor a Panasonic or Olympus interchangeable lens camera.

US DSLR sales are around 15% of worldwide sales and US market share has been shrinking year on year. US mirrorless market share is even less. Camera companies are focused on emerging markets.

Though peaking on the a7s is quite hit&miss (mostly miss), I've turned my peaking off after the honeymoon phase.

On most cameras I've used that have peaking, it doesn't work that great if you use whole scene due to the way peaking works. But, with focusing magnification engaged it is pretty accurate.

Just for the sake of debate. I have highlighted all the mirror less so they can be found. Strange that so many "grandpas" are buying camera that they push the statistics this way.

Nikon D750
Sony A7sii
Canon 5Dmkiii
Sony A7rii
Canon Rebel T5
Nikon D810
Canon 7Dii
Canon 6D
Nikon D7200
Samsung Galaxy

Canon EOS Rebel T5
Canon EOS Rebel T5 Kit
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Nikon D3200
Canon EOS 6D
Nikon D7200
Nikon D750
Canon EOS Rebel T5i
Fujifilm FinePix S8600

Panasonic GM1
Canon 70D
Canon 6D
Canon 70Dii
Nikon D7200
Canon 700D
Nikon D750
Sony A7rii
Nikon D610

There is demographics with that? Of course not, as you well know. I'm guessing that it is a pretty safe bet to say that most of the Canon and Nikon buyers are older, and most of the Sony buyers are younger. Also, it is worth pointing out that the vast majority of people who buy Rebel type cameras know very little about cameras, and buy those because it is a brand they recognize, no other reason. A decade ago pretty much the only brands that a presence in the popular mind were Canon and Nikon, but that is changing now.

People who buy traditional technologies tend to be older, those who buy cutting edge technologies tend to be younger. That is how it works with everything else, not sure why you think cameras are different.

Brand loyalty will go the same way. Older brands will feature strongly in the older demographic, because that is what they grew up with. The younger demographic will be more brand neutral, because they have no preconceived ideas and go with what is best rather than what has the traditional logo.

• Super Members

. Also, it is worth pointing out that the vast majority of people who buy Rebel type cameras know very little about cameras,

Nope that's not worth pointing out one single bit.  

People who buy traditional technologies tend to be older, those who buy cutting edge technologies tend to be younger. That is how it works with everything else, not sure why you think cameras are different.

Please link to a forum where I have claimed that its so.
All I said was that I don't believe that 90% of all cameras sold goes to a person that has grand children.

Either way Tug, Im sorry, but you have reached the status of a "Troll" in my book quite some time ago so I wont debate you. No point since you only read what you want and dismiss facts with your own guesses. I just don't care enough to spend the time.

Where I live the big "Best Buy" type of stores carry Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Fuji. But they are just not selling very well. Not to mention the used prices. I bought the NX1 when it was pretty new. My regular store gave me 20% discount just to try and get the sales going. Now they have stopped carrying it all together.
The smaller Panasonics like the gm1 and gx7 are selling well now when they are just under $300. Same with the E-M5.
I remember the Sony Nex-5t also got a boost at the $170 with lens sale just before it got taken of shelves.

So I think those US stores are simply playing it safe. Inventory costs money and why bother when DSLRs are still selling just fine.

Either way its great for me that can buy cheap gear. The little GM1 I picked up is a great house camera that we use for all kinds of stuff.
Im also seeing an E-M10ii when it hits 50% of its current price. Should be before spring. 

US DSLR sales are around 15% of worldwide sales and US market share has been shrinking year on year. US mirrorless market share is even less. Camera companies are focused on emerging markets.

I don't think so or they would invest in local reps and they actually cut any expense instead.

PR is addressed globally à la Apple's yearly announcements of a new iPhone, such as the recent Canon Expo in New York, not in any BRICS country : D Next round only in five years. Internet times.

They are more focused to find a way to respond to both sides of market range:

- the inglorious battle against the recent mobile phone market with obvious cuts in their low range is likely to allocate a renewal of interest where professionals may come up; some rather focus on sensors for third manufacturers, as for instance, only testifies the commitment of some brands* to touch both ends as much as possible in a way or another.

* Sony has found their policy to lauch their aggressive product line with announcements practically in a row. Impossible to predict it (such democratization of their offer) 15 years ago. F900 was 100,000. Even when Trinitron age had ended then and they came down the hill. As long their price range. Solution raised, not the problem. I've recently invested in two large format printers (Canon) for a third of the regular price and the cost of the ink cartridges.

Please link to a forum where I have claimed that its so.
All I said was that I don't believe that 90% of all cameras sold goes to a person that has grand children.

You were obviously referring to my early comment regarding what grandpa does out of context. I think that entitles me to respond. You don't like to be challenged, that is unfortunate.

• 2 weeks later...

Where I live the big "Best Buy" type of stores carry Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Fuji. But they are just not selling very well. Not to mention the used prices. I bought the NX1 when it was pretty new. My regular store gave me 20% discount just to try and get the sales going. Now they have stopped carrying it all together.
The smaller Panasonics like the gm1 and gx7 are selling well now when they are just under $300. Same with the E-M5.
I remember the Sony Nex-5t also got a boost at the $170 with lens sale just before it got taken of shelves.

So I think those US stores are simply playing it safe. Inventory costs money and why bother when DSLRs are still selling just fine.

Either way its great for me that can buy cheap gear. The little GM1 I picked up is a great house camera that we use for all kinds of stuff.
Im also seeing an E-M10ii when it hits 50% of its current price. Should be before spring. 

Yeah mismanaged inventory equals great deals for consumers.  Unfortunately I'm going to be forced to buy my gear on the second hand market.  I just can't get the screaming deals you are seeing.  Even then it can be tough.  People on ebay are paying more for USED GH4s.  I see a seller selling new GH4s for less than $1,000.

On most cameras I've used that have peaking, it doesn't work that great if you use whole scene due to the way peaking works. But, with focusing magnification engaged it is pretty accurate.

There is demographics with that? Of course not, as you well know. I'm guessing that it is a pretty safe bet to say that most of the Canon and Nikon buyers are older, and most of the Sony buyers are younger. Also, it is worth pointing out that the vast majority of people who buy Rebel type cameras know very little about cameras, and buy those because it is a brand they recognize, no other reason. A decade ago pretty much the only brands that a presence in the popular mind were Canon and Nikon, but that is changing now.

Brand loyalty will go the same way. Older brands will feature strongly in the older demographic, because that is what they grew up with. The younger demographic will be more brand neutral, because they have no preconceived ideas and go with what is best rather than what has the traditional logo.

You actually don't have anything to back up your age assertions.  I doubt older people with solid incomes are buying up all the $400 Canon rebels as an early retirement gift to themselves and 22 year old hipsters are buying up all the $3,000 Sony mirrorless cameras.  Have you seen the wage and unemployment numbers for 20 somethings in the United States?  Tons of Canons are being sold because they are in a totally different market than $3,000 Sony cameras.  I've never spent $3,000 on a camera and I know way more about photography and videography than 99% of mirrorless users.

A sub $400 DSLR made by the number one camera company in the world is mass market.  A $3,000 camera made by a third place runner up is niche.  That doesn't mean it is a bad camera but that whopping price difference has to be taken into account in your analysis... along with disposable income for various age brackets.

• Super Members

u can zoom in for more accurate peaking by using E-mount lens 

or any lens.

Grandpas or not, I wouldn't pay much attention or give credence to stats about users that put Canon and Apple in the same pool as camera brands.

It was brand most used on Flickr 2014. If you dont understand that I guess statistics isnt your thing.

The others where most sold from B&H and Amazon.

If you have better numbers from better sources, plese share.

Nikon D750
Sony A7sii
Canon 5Dmkiii
Sony A7rii
Canon Rebel T5
Nikon D810
Canon 7Dii
Canon 6D
Nikon D7200
Samsung Galaxy

Canon EOS Rebel T5
Canon EOS Rebel T5 Kit
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Nikon D3200
Canon EOS 6D
Nikon D7200
Nikon D750
Canon EOS Rebel T5i
Fujifilm FinePix S8600

Panasonic GM1
Canon 70D
Canon 6D
Canon 70Dii
Nikon D7200
Canon 700D
Nikon D750
Sony A7rii
Nikon D610

Well, as everyone can see ,canon cameras still keeping good  sells ,and their best selling Canon EOS Rebel T5 use the 7 years old cmos(the same one as 7d),so why canon bother to update their cameras when people like “classical stuff” so much :grin:

or any lens.

It was brand most used on Flickr 2014. If you dont understand that I guess statistics isnt your thing.

The others where most sold from B&H and Amazon.

If you have better numbers from better sources, plese share.

You probably haven't noticed this yet, but Canon have been selling cameras for many years and those cameras are still out there taking pictures. Flickr is not representative of what is selling right now, it is representative of what has been sold over the last decade.

Guess statistics isn't your thing either.

• Super Members

You probably haven't noticed this yet, but Canon have been selling cameras for many years and those cameras are still out there taking pictures. Flickr is not representative of what is selling right now, it is representative of what has been sold over the last decade.

Guess statistics isn't your thing either.

Ahh Tug.... The man that makes better tests than the BBC, that calls Chris on CSTV a liar without proof and the man who knows that only seniors buy cameras.....

Atleast read my post if your going to quote it. Your making the same misstake over and over again by just responding to fragments of peoples posts. Thats why I concider you a troll.