Cracked Iscorama pre 36

redimp

After a bunch of emails back and forth  with a seller I bought this Iscorama.

He told me that the anamorphic part is in perfect condition, but the lens block is cracked.

After I won the auction it turned out that it actually IS an anamorphic block that has a crack on one of the internal lens.

So the question is – what do I do now? The crack seems pretty small but I am sure it will affect image clarity. Fixing it also does not seem realistic, but maybe there's something I don't know?

I'd appreciate any advice.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

from the pictures it looks like one of the main elements has sheered or cracked due to the cement breaking down at different rates at different areas of the glass surfaces., meaning the thinner central portion has been put under stress and has given way.   it might have taken a knock to start the process.  

If I'm right you've definitely bid a crazy figure for something that wont ever be repairable unless you find another damaged iscorama for cheap.  to give you an idea, I was gonna bid on the lens and my top bid would have been $400, simply to have replacement front and rear elements for when another iscorama comes in for repair.

a possible, and only a possible...  it's likely that it may actually not be cracked at all, and instead the separation simply looks like a crack.    

If it does turn out to be just the cement then I've recently started offering iscorama recementing services - I;ve done one so far and it went well.  However the work involved is dangerous, and it comes with a risk.   that on top of the fact that it could be the flint element that's sheered and if so will be irrepairable is definitely something to consider before you pay the seller!.  

It's hard to tell from the pictures. Either the seller can't take proper pictures or he's trying to hide how bad it is. He's pretty honest about it in the description though, selling it as 'broken / use for parts'... I'm curious if it still works - if all the elements are moving it might still give an ok picture. Getting it repaired sounds not very likely or will cost a fortune. But you can minimize your loss by selling it to rich for $400...

I was watching this. I thought the photos of the broken parts were very poor which made me suspicious.

It all sounds kinda werid now. The day the item was posted I asked which lens had a crack – anamorphic or taking lens, and the seller told me it was the taking one. I asked again if the anamorphic block was in a perfect working condition and the answer was yes.

Now the seller is telling me that what he meant was that it was in perfect condition "mechanically". 

So I did the only logical thing to check what is the actual state of things, considering what Rich posted, maybe that is just a separation of elements. I received the attached images as a reply. I am not sure if ebay is shrinking images down this bad or if it's intentional.

I am considering asking for a cancellation since it is probably not what I was bidding on. I was told the anamorphic part was pristine and I expected higher bids on this lens. In fact my maximum bid was higher too.

$_122 (1).jpeg

$_122 (2).jpeg

$_122 (3).jpeg

$_122.jpeg

from the pictures it looks like one of the main elements has sheered or cracked due to the cement breaking down at different rates at different areas of the glass surfaces., meaning the thinner central portion has been put under stress and has given way.   it might have taken a knock to start the process.  

If I'm right you've definitely bid a crazy figure for something that wont ever be repairable unless you find another damaged iscorama for cheap.  to give you an idea, I was gonna bid on the lens and my top bid would have been $400, simply to have replacement front and rear elements for when another iscorama comes in for repair.

a possible, and only a possible...  it's likely that it may actually not be cracked at all, and instead the separation simply looks like a crack.    

If it does turn out to be just the cement then I've recently started offering iscorama recementing services - I;ve done one so far and it went well.  However the work involved is dangerous, and it comes with a risk.   that on top of the fact that it could be the flint element that's sheered and if so will be irrepairable is definitely something to consider before you pay the seller!.  

Thanks for your input. I think on the last image I've just posted a long light artifact is a crack indeed.

Just got a full res images from the seller. It does look like a cement separation indeed. 

Rich, what do you think about this? Would you be willing to work on this? Thanks.

image-2.jpeg

image.jpeg

This isn't really a lens solution, but I'm sure you could return it.  I see that it's listed "no returns," but that doesn't apply if the seller told you something that is materially false.  Buyer protection extends to messages, not just the listing.  If he's telling you that he misspoke, then you have it in writing that you were furnished with false information, and in a way that made the lens seem more valuable than it was.  If you could get it in writing from a lens tech that the anamorphic block is damaged, and pair that with the message saying the anamorphic block is perfect, I don't think you'd have a hard time winning a claim including cost of shipping and return shipping (but be sure to require a signature on the return).

Also, have you just calmly asked this individual if, since they misspoke, and since, on the basis of that information you purchased the item, they would consider taking a return, or issuing a partial refund?  I've done that in the past and people have been surprisingly decent about it.  Not everyone is trying to do you over; a lot of people are just not expert in what they are selling.  But since this person suddenly had clear documentation of the damage as soon as the auction closed it makes me a bit suspicious that he was.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Thanks. Actually that person told me that two people from this forum contacted them after I posted this thread, offering to buy the lens. He's willing to just cancel it with no negative reviews and it's up to me now.

I just really can't make up my mind if it's worth buying and basically waiting for Rich to chime in if it's worth repairing.

it looks to me the lens got a hit on that corner, and one of the doublet starts separating....and at the same time, a part of the glass got shuttered. 

You have to replace the doublet...which is the most expensive piece in this front anamorphic unit, I am sure they are using the achromatic ones...with that OD, you are talking about pretty significant $$$...without considering the man power spent on repair.

Good luck...