DSO Trump 58mm

sam

dso.thumb.jpg.e826b62e79fc26f723024c1039

pictured with 85mm Rokinon for size reference

I received the Pl mount Trump 58mm T2.2 last week (38mm coming soom).  It comes with the case and various aperture inserts for effects such as 1.5x 2x 3x anamorphic style bokeh, tints, shapes etc...Swapping these inserts is as simple as unthreading the rear optical cell (which is also customizable) and inserting the chosen aperture (all of which have a notch that easily aligns with a tab inside the lens).  

It has a 270 degree focus throw.  For reference: Rokinon and most other still lenses do not even have 180.(which makes finding accurate focus more of a challenge)

Smooth variable aperture from T2.2 - T16

Easily converts from pl to ef via adapter.

As I haven't spent a lot of time with the lens yet, I can't comment on its look and how it compares to other lenses.  Check out Bob Gundu's work to get an idea of the look these lenses can create.  

I would also like to add that Rich asks for examples of your work so he can customize your lens to your style/taste.  He noticed I used the Anamorphot 1.33 and then made a custom recessed step down ring for me to mount the slr magic Anamorphot 1.33 on the Trump. (no charge!)  Great product and service! These lenses are truly a work of art.

http://www.richardgaleoptics.uk/      (Richg101 for Eoshd readers)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I think the price is very reasonable for the Trump series.  Rich also has more affordable options without the long focus throw and changeable aperture inserts.  Here is my invoice to give you an idea, but he lists prices on his site as well.  Each lens is different, but I will try to post a couple shots when my 1dc gets back from Canon service (could be a little while)
ITEMSKUPRICEQTYSUBTOTAL
Dog Schidt Optiks 'TRUMP58' - 58mm (Single Lens)
External Finish:
Gun Metal
SQ6084466£1,050.001£1,050.00
Dog Schidt Optiks 'TRUMP38' (Attachment)SQ1821451£700.001£700.00
PL-EOS Lens AdaptorSQ9745822£110.001£110.00
Subtotal£1,860.00
Shipping & Handling£55.00
Grand Total£1,915.00

I have not had a chance to test it yet.   Too busy!   Also my 1dc lost power at a wedding today and wont turn back on.  (stills only, so I used my backup cam without incident) A quick google search and it turns out there are quite a few early serial 1dx's that also have had this happen and it shouldn't be too costly..  Almost 3 years of very frequent use and this is the first problem, so I can't complain. (insured as well, so no worries)  Anyways... love the lens just need more time.

Hey Zak, this won't be very helpful for your purposes, but here's a vid I made using the Trump 58 (everthing that's not slomo).  This was without any aperture inserts.  Small mattebox with Tiffen colorcore 1.2 irnd with most shots  around T8 on the F35. I was hoping to do some side by sides with canon/rokinons as they are a well known entity, but no way to mount them on the f35.  By the time my 1dc is fixed you might just have your Trump in hand.