D750 - Still a worthy camera for 1080p?

Dustin

• Super Members

No. The NX1 shot at 4K will give a nicer 1080p, the A7s will give higher resolution, DR, lowlight performance but trickier colour, the GH4 will give all better resolution, and overall video but lack in sensor size (depth of field) and lowlight performance. An XC10 will give an overall all better image but with deeper DOF and no interchangeable mount. A 5D will give a similar 1080p but with the ability to go raw and get all the MLvideo features. A used F3 will get a much better video and body for similar money.

Subjectivly of course. Imo the NX1 is awesome but does not produce better HD than the D750. It doesnt even produce better 4K than the bmpcc. Yes I mean the HD bmpcc. Its footage upscaled is imo better. 5D raw is nothing to write home about imo. My own tests show that the d750 have more DR than the XC10 at twelve stops wich puts it easily 2stops above the A7s.

My point isnt to defend the D750. I like all the cameras you list.

I just wanted to say that "better" is very subjective when we talk about image quality and depends on different factors for different people.

So the OP should take in all the advices but then look inwards and ask what he/she likes, needs and wants.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So no lenses invested into Nikon that much and the one is APS-C. 

That's good. Tell us how much do you weigh on shallow DOF (the FF look), and shooting and +6400 ISO? 

What's your delivery, web videos or broadcast or Blurays, theatre? 

I'm not that far into my career so really just web videos these days. The highest I've gone on my Nikon was below 2000 ISO. I love shallow DOF. I actually also like the gh4 look but I think I'd miss the shallow dof. I actually just sold a 50mm 1.8D so maybe eventually I could invest in a few rokinom primes with a d750 or a new camcorder style body altogether. Man this filmmaking game is complex with endless options!!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Subjectivly of course. Imo the NX1 is awesome but does not produce better HD than the D750. It doesnt even produce better 4K than the bmpcc. Yes I mean the HD bmpcc. Its footage upscaled is imo better. 5D raw is nothing to write home about imo. My own tests show that the d750 have more DR than the XC10 at twelve stops wich puts it easily 2stops above the A7s.

My point isnt to defend the D750. I like all the cameras you list.

I just wanted to say that "better" is very subjective when we talk about image quality and depends on different factors for different people.

So the OP should take in all the advices but then look inwards and ask what he/she likes, needs and wants.

Agreed (not on the d750 or 5D raw quality) but on the Image quality being complicated and depends on many points. I got sick of it and wrote it all lately here "What makes a better quality image" 

http://www.desktop-documentaries.com/10-elements-of-a-high-quality-image.html

To OP: 

Ok then how important is stills photography quality for you. Canon you put a percentage on Video vs stills use? (OVF, Optical AF, speed, DR and colours of the D750, the buffer), how important is the stills quality? and if the D5200 was enough for that. 

Hmm I'm not really sure to be honest. I suppose I could always just keep my d5200 for photography I actually use it every day for that in my day job. But like I said in my original post, I'm just trying to gauge where the market is not actually trying to buy yet. But yes it does seem like a black hole! But as far as video work goes I'm not tied to it.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Are you able to carry a bag of two DSLR sized cameras whenever you want both stills and video? if so that opens up lots of options. 

But also don't underestimate the D750 (for example) ability to snap a GREAT still and push record with a button to get your video. 

Also having two cameras for video shoots is a great tool. 

Think about that before we can advice. 

Are you able to carry a bag of two DSLR sized cameras whenever you want both stills and video? if so that opens up lots of options. 

But also don't underestimate the D750 (for example) ability to snap a GREAT still and push record with a button to get your video. 

Also having two cameras for video shoots is a great tool. 

Think about that before we can advice. 

I see what you're saying..it would be great to have a b cam. Def not underestimating the d750-everything I've seen looks great. 

-The codec and colours are so clean and sleek, everything is so well delivered for upload and slight tweaks look great. 

This is why I have liked shooting with Nikon's and always fall short of jumping to something else. It gets you a decent image for events shooting whereby skin tones matter and DOF gets you some engaging shots for the audience.

I've been using the Nikon D750 for the past 8 months or so and I'm really happy so far. I picked it up with the 24-120mm F4 kit lens because I wanted to have a camera/lens combo that is suitable for almost all shooting scenarios. My other camera is a Panasonic GH3 and I've been shooting with that for almost two years now. When I compare them side-by-side, I find the GH3 image to be sharper and more detailed. That may be down to the lenses I use though (25mm F1.4 prime on the GH3 vs zoom lens on the D750). The D750 battery life is also a lot worse but that was to be expected. I just have to remind myself to shut off the live view when not shooting. Dynamic range of the D750 is incredible - highlight roll off is much nicer and there's a lot more detail and less noise in the shadows. I also prefer having a LCD viewfinder attached to the back of the screen as opposed to shooting through an EVF and pressing my nose into the back of the screen. When editing, I find myself using a lot more D750 footage than GH3 footage. This is completely unintentionally as I really enjoy both cameras.

I wish there was peaking, 4K or higher frame rates. On the other hand, everything Nikon implemented works really, really well. I thought about picking up a Sony A7s or a Samsung NX1 but I'd rather have less features that work reliably than tons of features that are plagued with bugs or aren't really usable. 

One of the main reasons for picking up the D750 for me was how quickly the camera market is changing. The D750 may be outdated for video in a year or two but even then, it'll be an incredible camera for taking stills. I was hesitant to buy an A7s because I was afraid that the resale value would decline like crazy... guess what happened when the A7sII was announced? 

Feel free to check out some of my videos here: https://vimeo.com/moritzzimmermann/videos

To slightly change the subject (Forgive me if I'm supposed to make a new topic)- I have a question regarding grading d5200 footage. If i'm correct (and I might not be), I use the EOSHD review's profile when shooting. Its a pretty "baked" in look obviously. I have premiere cc2015 with the new color grading tools. Sometimes I will add a lut at about 20% and it seems to warm it up. I know I'm not shooting LOG and there are no "rules" but is some (albeit limited) color grading allowed when using footage that is already kind of baked? I'm not takling about adjusting white balance but adding saturation, LUT's etc. I find when adding LUT's sometimes just a tad helps my footage look a little better and pop more.

• 2 weeks later...

Imo the NX1 is awesome but does not produce better HD than the D750. It doesnt even produce better 4K than the bmpcc. Yes I mean the HD bmpcc. Its footage upscaled is imo better.

D750 is blurry mess and BMPCC is just totally useless. There is no resolution to be found. Imo.

Just a note on the OP's desire for XLRs but wanting to stay with a DSLR - I use the Tascam DR-60D as an external recorder, and feed the line out into my Nikon for synch. But what I've found: use the camera's meter and stage the gain properly (mic in, line out level, and camera recording level) so nothing peaks, and keep the Nikon on the low side - under the center of the gain control scale (use the Tascam for your primary gain) and… you don't need to synch footage. Basically use the Tascam as a preamp. My interview audio has sounded great this way (generally with an AT4053a or a Senn G3 w/ OST 801). Very surprised at this, and I do record to the Tascam as a backup (since the tascam records a safety track at -6DB so I'm covered for unexpected peaks).

I'm fairly picky about interview voices and usually run my final edit through Pro Tools to reduce any room noise/reverberance and do a pass with nice EQ and comp plugins - I really like a crisp high end with lots of presence (vintage EQ and Massey CT-5 kind of sings with the AT mic) and I've been surprised, but happy. The Tascam ships with PluralEyes so synch is pretty smooth if you use the tascam tracks.

• Administrators

Please. If it's good enough for Paul Thomas Anderson, it's good enough for our dumb asses.

Indeed. Or Shane Meadows. Good 1080p doesn't look soft when it is thrown at an epic cinema screen to an audience of 200... It only looks soft on a laptop screen with your eye 1mm away!

The D750 and BMPCC I rate as pretty good 1080p personally!!

Indeed. Or Shane Meadows. Good 1080p doesn't look soft when it is thrown at an epic cinema screen to an audience of 200... It only looks soft on a laptop screen with your eye 1mm away!

Keep in mind that with most of these "BMPCC sucks" "Nikon 750 is useless" posts - that's the entirety of the post. No examples or actual information. They both can make great images in good hands. I've seen some beautiful work from the pocket, once you get around that tiny sensor...

On the big screen, I've found that lenses and grading make a far bigger difference in apparent resolving power than 4k. That's why Leica, Zeiss, etc demand such high prices.