D750 - Still a worthy camera for 1080p?

Dustin

I currently use a D5200. I've owned it for a year and its suiting me quite well. Videography is my side business and every client I've had has been quite pleased. I doubt I will be needing 4k for a while so 1080p is fine with me (I also don't want to push my 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina with 8gb of ram too much and I don't use proxy editing.) My main lens is a tamron 17-50 f 2.8. Basically I'm just scoping out my next camera. Currently it looks like with the D750 I would be getting a few things that I lack on my d5200 namely: Live View Aperature Switching, Flat Profile, Upgraded Image?, good in low light (vs gh4) and slow motion 60p. I know there are better slow motion cameras out there but that would require to use an adapter. I guess the other camera I'm considering in the price range is the GH4. I mainly am interested in the GH4 because of its lack of recording time limit. That which I sometimes run into on the d5200. Not a huge deal but it would make my job easier sometimes when its needed. I would love to move to a more traditional video style body like a c100 mainly for audio inputs, for me its annoying to sync in post even though its very easy in Premiere to do so, but I sometimes do stills as well. So would a D750 be worth it over the GH4 for a solid 1080p image? Or should I even consider an upgrade to d5500 body if I just want to add FLAT and 60p but save some money? I should add finally that my projects are all over the place... sometimes corporate, sometimes music video, sometimes still interview. I also need to invest in better lighting for controlled shoots but I own a basic light kit that does ok.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ive had my D750 for a few weeks now and love it. The image quality/file size is amazing. Colors are sweet. Body and buttons nice. Its a great cam and I ditched my G7 for it (pretty much the same as a GH4).

Mattias, I've come across your YouTube channel - Great stuff! Between Andrew's review and a few finds on YouTube I think I'm sold. Search on Youtube for GUSTL (or just search d750 short film). Solid looking images. And I can use my existing lens no issues with metabones and what not...

I can't say anything about the video quality of the D750 but its stills quality is out of this world. I've rented it multiple times for a few gigs where a client has asked for good photos. 

I'm very happy with my GH4, don't get me wrong, but the stills that come out of the D750 are magical. I've actually thought about getting one with the intention of using my GH4 primarily for video and my D750 primarily for stills. That being said, it sounds like a lot of you think the video of the D750 is great so maybe it'll be a nice b-cam in addition to being my primary stills camera.

That, or I'll just get an A7S II. Choices, choices!

Ive had my D750 for a few weeks now and love it. The image quality/file size is amazing. Colors are sweet. Body and buttons nice. Its a great cam and I ditched my G7 for it (pretty much the same as a GH4).

~subscribed!

2.5k for 1080p on youtube i like it ;) 

yeah this is a rad camera. my friend has one, got to use it for a bit – loved the build quality, just fit in my hand really really well, surprisingly lightweight tho? and super for stills

anyway the bitrate vs results makes zero sense what the heck is going on there lol

also, @Mattias Burling - this is crazy~!

AllaDR-1024x576.jpg

wow??!? ?

You won't be able to use your main lens currently on a D750, unless it has a crop video mode I don't know about?

I'd consider checking out the Sony FS5 if you want a very excellent 1080 camera with XLR inputs. Or if your budget is more limited, and you can handle the weight, get a Sony F3 for less than half the cost.

• Super Members

I love the D750. It's the Goldilocks of all FF DSLR's I think. Does everything well.

I tried the Flaat 11 profile a few times with it and it seems to work well. https://vimeo.com/124688710 

The new stabilised Tamron primes may be a nice match with the D750 for hand held video. Could be a nice combo. 

Yah, Flat 11 is so sweet and when grading I again wonder how its possible to get such a quality/mbps ratio.

I got an offer of 15% of on the Tamron VC Primes but Im not sure about them.
So far I haven't found any examples showing the VC being very effective for video. And since I have really good stabilization in the 24-120/4 I might instead just get a regular 35mm.
Have you seen any god examples, because I would love to have a stabilized 35mm?

~subscribed!

2.5k for 1080p on youtube i like it ;) 

yeah this is a rad camera. my friend has one, got to use it for a bit – loved the build quality, just fit in my hand really really well, surprisingly lightweight tho? and super for stills

anyway the bitrate vs results makes zero sense what the heck is going on there lol

also, @Mattias Burling - this is crazy~!

AllaDR-1024x576.jpg

wow??!? ?

Glad you subbed :)
Yeah the DR is pretty out there. Easily 13 stops, no doubt in my mind.

You won't be able to use your main lens currently on a D750, unless it has a crop video mode I don't know about?

I'd consider checking out the Sony FS5 if you want a very excellent 1080 camera with XLR inputs. Or if your budget is more limited, and you can handle the weight, get a Sony F3 for less than half the cost.

It has two crop modes if I'm not mistaken, Haven't tried yet myself but I might give it ago during the weekend.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well, the D750. 

There is no ultimate answers. 

The D750 is stills a great 1080p camera IF you want its stills capabaility and active Nikon mount for your lens collection. 

But as a dedicated video camera does it give the best 1080p for the price for someone who doesn't care much about stills and doesn't have lenses? No. The NX1 shot at 4K will give a nicer 1080p, the A7s will give higher resolution, DR, lowlight performance but trickier colour, the GH4 will give all better resolution, and overall video but lack in sensor size (depth of field) and lowlight performance. An XC10 will give an overall all better image but with deeper DOF and no interchangeable mount. A 5D will give a similar 1080p but with the ability to go raw and get all the MLvideo features. A used F3 will get a much better video and body for similar money. 

So yes, is he D750 a nice video camera that can handle pretty much all web application and a professional grade stills camera? yes. A very very satisfying combo for those shooting on Nikons DSLRs to step up to. I recommend going for it without much though if you want the stills and have Nikon lenses. 

A few things about the D750: 

-S35/APS-C crop mode is horrible. Full of aliasing/moire and noisy and just bad. The D810 S35 mode is the one that's great, don't confuse them. 

-The codec and colours are so clean and sleek, everything is so well delivered for upload and slight tweaks look great. 

-It's a bit sharper than a 5DIII, a little softer than a D810 (both three after post sharpening get pretty much the same) 

-Lowlight performance identical to 5DIII, superb. Much much better than GH4/nx1 

-The flat profile can be graded with a single S-curve. 

-Audio quality and overall feel is meh. Usable. Slightly worse than a 5DIII. Much better than a D5200 (God)

-Shallow depth of field with the Nikon colours make the images so striking for your audience so use fast primes and you'll get hired. 

Well, the D750. 

The D750 is stills a great 1080p camera IF you want its stills capabaility and active Nikon mount for your lens collection. 

But as a dedicated video camera does it give the best 1080p for the price for someone who doesn't care much about stills and doesn't have lenses? No. The NX1 shot at 4K will give a nicer 1080p, the A7s will give higher resolution, DR, lowlight performance but trickier colour, the GH4 will give all better resolution, and overall video but lack in sensor size (depth of field) and lowlight performance. An XC10 will give an overall all better image but with deeper DOF and no interchangeable mount. A 5D will give a similar 1080p but with the ability to go raw and get all the MLvideo features. A used F3 will get a much better video and body for similar money. 

So yes, is he D750 a nice video camera that can handle pretty much all web application and a professional grade stills camera? yes. A very very satisfying combo for those shooting on Nikons DSLRs to step up to. I recommend going for it without much though if you want the stills and have Nikon lenses. 

-S35/APS-C crop mode is horrible. Full of aliasing/moire and noisy and just bad. The D810 S35 mode is the one that's great, don't confuse them. 

-The codec and colours are so clean and sleek, everything is so well delivered for upload and slight tweaks look great. 

-It's a bit sharper than a 5DIII, a little softer than a D810 (both three after post sharpening get pretty much the same) 

-Audio quality and overall feel is meh. Usable. Slightly worse than a 5DIII. Much better than a D5200 (God)

-Shallow depth of field with the Nikon colours make the images so striking for your audience so use fast primes and you'll get hired. 

Well, the D750. 

Ahh I had forgotten my lens was built for APSC sensors. Well maybe I've been doing it wrong but I always keep VC on and haven't noticed anything bad about it. Definitely seems to help me when I keep it on a monopod. The F3 looks too big for my tastes. The F5 looks amazing but I don't think I'd have the budget. Maybe I should think about selling my lens and factoring a new one into the cost? I tried eBay before (Craigslist takes forever in my area) but I couldn't figure out how to limit the buyers so only people with at least a certain score could bid, and I got a winning bid and the account was fake. That said what are cameras my lens would be compatible with then? Gh4, C100?

Yah, Flat 11 is so sweet and when grading I again wonder how its possible to get such a quality/mbps ratio.

I got an offer of 15% of on the Tamron VC Primes but Im not sure about them.
So far I haven't found any examples showing the VC being very effective for video. And since I have really good stabilization in the 24-120/4 I might instead just get a regular 35mm.
Have you seen any god examples, because I would love to have a stabilized 35mm?

Glad you subbed :)
Yeah the DR is pretty out there. Easily 13 stops, no doubt in my mind.

It has two crop modes if I'm not mistaken, Haven't tried yet myself but I might give it ago during the weekend.

NO, I haven't seen any examples of the Tamron primes being used for video yet and the effectiveness of the VR. Tamron usually have very effective VR though. I thought the VR on the Tamron 24-70 was better than the VR on the Nikon 24-120/4.

I'd like to use the 45/1.8 on the D750. I hope the next lot of Nikon cameras do 4K ... but you never know !!

And you know, maybe I'll just pull a Simon Cade and invest in other things and keep shooting the hell out of the d5200. I could use some good lights, I'm gonna upgrade my audio gear soon, and I still need some basic film making gear such as sliders. (Bought a cheap one for $150 on Amazon when I first started and let's just say I won't be buying the cheap Studio Fx shit anymore )

• Super Members

NO, I haven't seen any examples of the Tamron primes being used for video yet and the effectiveness of the VR. Tamron usually have very effective VR though. I thought the VR on the Tamron 24-70 was better than the VR on the Nikon 24-120/4.

I'd like to use the 45/1.8 on the D750. I hope the next lot of Nikon cameras do 4K ... but you never know !!

I thought the VC on my 17-50 was a bit so and so. If they are good I would concider going for the 45mm as well.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So no lenses invested into Nikon that much and the one is APS-C. 

That's good. Tell us how much do you weigh on shallow DOF (the FF look), and shooting and +6400 ISO? 

What's your delivery, web videos or broadcast or Blurays, theatre?