Leica SL with 10bit 4K video and possible Panasonic full frame sensor!

Andrew Reid

Does the Varicam have anything under its PL mount? Like Sony does with their FZ mount. But I strongly suspect the Varicam doesn't have this feature (instead it is just swapping between the PL and B4 heads, for S35 vs HS feature), which is a pity as least then a logical mount would exist for a future Panasonic camera to take up and use (as Sony would never let Panasonic use their FZ mount, which is my 1st preference. Though I dunno if FF would work with FZ mount?!?! It is a rather large opening however, suspect it might!).

A Panasonic FF-GH5 with some kind of "Varicam-FZ" mount would be super awesome. Ah well....  invent one??? A mount which they'll then bring out almost no lenses for. Just like Sony did with their FZ mount! LOL

But yeah... that could kinda make sense in a weird twisted way. 

However if they were to go down that path, maybe perhaps I'd rather they just stuck with m4/3 and S35 sensors?!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I highly doubt Panasonic would change the GHx line. They have invested a lot in building a proper lens line. Moreover the m4/3 its all about the size. Have you seen the size and the weight of the zoom FF lenses? Small body + large lens = instability + fatigue. 

It is more probable to attack the high end video market with a 4K FF sensor. Put it in the varicam 35 body and price it higher. 

The optical low pass filter that's designed for a stills camera (in this case a 24mp stills camera) has no effect on video images. Not a deal at all not to mention a deal breaker. Having moire/aliasing will only depend on the sensor quality and how sophisticated the downscaling algorithm. The OLPF is a stills oriented spec as these filters aren't designed for the video output at all, that's why we have to buy video-specific after-market OLPFs for Canon DSLRs even when the cameras have ones for stills. Lots of cameras with a stills OLPF that have video moire and lots of cameras without an OLPF with no video moire. Totally irrelevant. 

Not necessarily.  There is such thing as cumulative error.  A relatively small example of moire when viewed at 100% could manifest as a bigger example when downscaled and could be visible even when viewing full screen.  To say that a stills OLPF has no effect on video and is totally irrelevant is a false statement.

Has nobody else seen what I saw in that article?:

"The camera quickly shifts from 35mm full frame to 35mm cine at the push of a button. Full frame is HD; Super 35 goes up to 4K."

So it isn't really a full frame video/cinema camera (and neither would a theoretical Panasonic version).   It's native 4k at 1.5 crop which is good, but there are other options for super 35.  For example, the current GH4 with a speed booster.  Reading that fact makes this camera less exiting, but - on the positive side - something I can forget about.

I highly doubt Panasonic would change the GHx line. They have invested a lot in building a proper lens line. Moreover the m4/3 its all about the size. Have you seen the size and the weight of the zoom FF lenses? Small body + large lens = instability + fatigue. 

It is more probable to attack the high end video market with a 4K FF sensor. Put it in the varicam 35 body and price it higher. 

That is kinda what I'm suggesting, don't bother about using a mount that they'll make lenses for (as they should keep the focus on m4/3, which they've built up large resource of lenses in).

Treat this mount in a new camera like Sony treats their FZ mount! Then go and target a price point somewhere in the C100 to F5 price range. (I'd prefer the C100 end of that range.... but anywhere there would be at least something, better than their current NOTHING being offered) 

GH5 can never be FF. If Panasonic ever release a FF camera, they won't name it GH5 and the lens mount cannot be M4/3 as FF is too big for that mount. 

I doubt if Panasonic will release FF, but if they really do (and it has to be a new mount), you can say death to M4/3 mount for sure. 

Also there is nothing to stop them doing a crop mode for Micro Four Thirds lenses on a full frame sensor... although mounting them might be tricky!

Mounting them won't be just tricky. It would be impossible. 

• Super Members

Na sorry, take that bulshit back to DVX user, this is 2015.  Full frame means 36mm wide. Get over it.:D

I think Sweden should export their native words for film/sensor sizes since we dont get that confusion.

We have always called Full Frame/35mm wide, "Small Picture".

No way to confuse with Apsc/s35.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A lot?

Of course it's still bigger the world's smallest ILC FF camera that's designed for the specific purpose of being tiny. m43s cameras are bigger than the A7r, APS-C DSLRs are bigger than the A7r.

And actually with a battery grip to take to the leica level the a7r is bigger than the leica.

This photo is for those saying it's astronomically bigger and is somehow too different in size from any other cameras. This is the first though I got too when I first read about it and saw the previews,

Turns out It's a normal size, actually a little small. It's a FF camera. 5D, 6D, D810, 1Dx, D4s, A900, A99. 

This is a small adequate FF camera.

Size isn't an area to nag on. Button layout is. 

Has anyone taken into account that maybe this camera is a bit bigger because it has dual SD slots and full size HDMI, and maybe they just chose not to have any overheating issues. Also their lenses for this system are quite big and heavy, so I don't believe that photographers would be very happy with a heavy standard zoom on a tiny body.

I think Sweden should export their native words for film/sensor sizes since we dont get that confusion.

We have always called Full Frame/35mm wide, "Small Picture".

No way to confuse with Apsc/s35.

In Zermany its also "Kleinbild" format. I sincerely hope for a medium format booster to show up soon.

• Super Members

In Zermany its also "Kleinbild" format. I sincerely hope for a medium format booster to show up soon.

Makes sence, often find german and swedish to be very close.

A medium format booster would be so so sweet. 

Regarding the size difference I would prefer the size of the leica over the A7. I like form factor of my D750 over the A7 and A7ii I had any day.

Leica is the photo and not the video! The brand wants to attract users of video, but his main concern is the photographer community. I remember the announcement of Leica Monochrom and negative reviews. Yet the Leica M246 is absolutely amazing. And no other camera can also make a beautiful black and white. The question of the video in the Leica SL is up to one thing: color science. Sony A7SII / A7RII were one step behind Canon colors : French TV that no longer want to use them! Let's just hope that the colors of the Leica SL are beautiful and profound. 

Fun thing about Leica is that it really triggers the worst of us. I would love to have a leica M with all the fancy lenses but I know that I will never be able to justify that with my work, but that's just me. I have canons just like I drive a Toyota Landcruiser. I may be a boring guy but I love the colors of canon just like I love the way my landcruiser drives and relates to the huge market shares and versatility that it offers. I don't know about this new ff  panasonic. Feels to me a lost battle against Sony's dominance of that market. Unless they surprise everyone and push out a double CF Fast slot to support decent color depth and high bit rate, why even bother to go against Sony with a similar product. I think Sony has position itself to be the leader in that segment. CF Fast is for the big boys. No one will argue that right? Or do people want to go against Arri? Canon is trying to be between Sony and Red but I am really interested to see if they can keep on carrying that claim. C300II will really have to produce a rich beautiful image way nicer than the FS7 to hold that claim. New 1DXII coming up with its current rumors is something to look at, if rumors finish being true. Let's not forget that Leica S2 had outstanding in their saying, medium format video and it went completely unnoticed. I don't see anyone rigging it for work. I see the production world in: Arri, Red, Canon, Sony in that order plus side players like panasonic and blackmagic. My question is if Canon will be able to keep that place in the pro world.