Leica SL with 10bit 4K video and possible Panasonic full frame sensor!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Of course Leica are known for an "X factor", but that was back when someone else made the film and you could change it every roll.

now the "film" is fixed, albeit still made by someone else: it's sensor and associated hardware and firmware. It will become obsolete, while an M1 can still be used with any film.

that alone makes it hard to justify the prices.

Full frame? So that means I should stop buying any more MFT lenses immediately?

If the GH5 is full frame, won't Panasonic have to introduce a whole new range of lenses too?

The real challenge for Panasonic in the pro world will come when clients start distributing in 4K. Then the noise will show up much more and the re-framing options will disappear.

We'll need 8K to do what we can with the GH4 today.

• Administrators

Well seems it has "V-LOG" in the menus. Clearly Panasonic hardware and firmware in there.

If the next GH camera goes full frame it probably will be a separate line for pros at much higher price and Micro Four Thirds will continue for rest of us.

Also there is nothing to stop them doing a crop mode for Micro Four Thirds lenses on a full frame sensor... although mounting them might be tricky!

Full frame GH5/6?  , i dont see that happening. Why?

1. The four thirds mount is too small for full frame sensor, meaning they will need to make a new mount, rendering all other m43/mft mount glass useless.
    Canon M mount and Sony E mount started with APS-C , but with FF possibilities. Sony took advantage of this, and canon...well we know how "serious" they are about Mirrorless,but its possible for canon to come up with a Full frame Eos M camera. and keep the same mount.
  2. If you create a new mount, you need to provide glass, and creating a lens lineup takes time. Panasonic needs to keep developing m43, its has still a lot of gaps to fill. Keeping 2 systems alive is hard. Sony hasn't released a new E mount (=aps-c) lens in years, they want to build upon FE first. (poor A mount)

On the other hand, Panasonic needs a bigger sensor, why? 8K.
Panasonic says they see a 8K future.To provide that they need a 32MP sensor. Even if it is theoretical possible to cram 32 megapixel on a 43 sensor, there is no resolution befit, because of diffraction. (if you shoot f2.8 and up) The only way out is using super fast glass(while keeping 32MP of sharpness) or increase sensor area.

II suspect to see a aps-c GH5/6 camera some day. APS-C does fit, and they can keep their m43 lineup. Its the most sensible option. JVC already has a APS-C m43 video camera.

• Administrators

I think they will just create a new line and new mount.

It is hard for me to envision Panasonic making a 4K sensor and firmware with 4096 x 2160 and LOG just for Leica, it's a lot of effort to go for on video specs for a photography company.

Of course Leica are known for an "X factor", but that was back when someone else made the film and you could change it every roll.

now the "film" is fixed, albeit still made by someone else: it's sensor and associated hardware and firmware. It will become obsolete, while an M1 can still be used with any film.

that alone makes it hard to justify the prices.

That's a good point and to be honest, photographically the Leica SL at $7k is already obsolete compared to the 42MP sensor in the $3k A7R II.

Tricky times for Leica I think.

If you have the money and are a professional Leica nut with tons of the glass and were using an A7R, maybe they will consider it because of the better build quality and superb EVF.

Creatively though I can't see any advantage in the system over what we already have from others at half the price.

And if the Leica look is all about the lenses (it is) then bang em on a Sony and be done with it :)

• Administrators

Yeah the M9 is lovely, a classic brought up to date.

The new ones, like the T and SL just make me picture a very very rich German marketing executive on holiday.

They seem to be going the same way as Mercedes dashboards... lots of electronic touch screen shit.

The underlying tech - EVF especially looks very good. Roll on Panasonic AG - GH200 with more manual control and a proper full frame video mode!!

Stills oriented review by a friend and a great reviewer ... 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/10/leica-sl-test-jono/?utm_source=luf151020&utm_medium=E-Mail

Slightly overpriced but maybe a contender ... not for video but as an option for all those great Leica lenses 

languishing in closets.

The SL may deal with Leica M wide lenses better than Sony sensors ....

But at this price the M 246 mono is my choice ... now if they can just deliver it ...

Bob

• Administrators

Stills oriented review by a friend and a great reviewer ... 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/10/leica-sl-test-jono/?utm_source=luf151020&utm_medium=E-Mail

Slightly overpriced but maybe a contender ... not for video but as an option for all those great Leica lenses 

languishing in closets.

The SL may deal with Leica M wide lenses better than Sony sensors ....

But at this price the M 246 mono is my choice ... now if they can just deliver it ...

Bob

Talented... loved the photos and the review.

Maybe I am not seeing the value in it as a stills camera due to my video bias, but that article really sold it to me very well...

But then your friend has an obvious Leica bias ;)

Anyway will reserve further judgment until I've tried one.

The Leica Q by the way looked great, saw it when it was announced and thought - "yes! finally an RX1 competitor"

However the RX1 II is coming now...

What's the dynamic range of the Panasonic sensor like? Might be a pertinent question by the time the Lumix version comes out!!

• Super Members

Imo, Best looking camera in a long time.

If you have alot invested in one lens mount. Just sell. You can more often than not sell for example your mft lenses and buy equivalent used lenses of another mount for the same price.

And if you once get in to the used lens game and get good at it, you actually turn profit everytime you switch system.

Or just stick to Nikon mounted lenses and be done.

Imo, Best looking camera in a long time.

If you have alot invested in one lens mount. Just sell. You can more often than not sell for example your mft lenses and buy equivalent used lenses of another mount for the same price.

And if you once get in to the used lens game and get good at it, you actually turn profit everytime you switch system.

Or just stick to Nikon mounted lenses and be done.

This, I only own the two Panasonic pancake lenses and the SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 (which I got a crazy good sale price). Plus 3 kit lenses (one is the 14-140mm). Oh, and the Olympus bodycap lens, so tiny I almost forget that! So all in all, only a very small investment in m4/3 lenses. And all playing to the strengths of the m4/3 system (ultra fast lens, ultra small lenses, and a superzoom of 10x).

The rest are mostly Nikon F mount mount (with a few other vintage mounts in there, and a few cheapie C mount lenses). Oh, and two Sony E mount lenses (again, a pancake and the 18-105mm zoom) plus a kit lens. Ditto Samsung NX, a Pancake + 3D lens + kit lens. You can spot a pattern here! ;-)

Yeah I don't need full frame, I do want a clean image(way less noise) + clean iso up to 6400 and 10bit internal would be very nice.

It's not going to happen with MFT, as a matter of fact you can't even go above 1600 ISO without getting noise. MFT at best is a max 800 iso camera which is good if you're in a studio setting but anything above that honestly simply doesn't work imo. FF cameras by technical design simply allow greater possibilities.......

For the record I was one of the eary/first adopters of GH1, Hacked GH2 etc. and while they are great cameras for budget I truly believe they are much better cameras now within the $3-4k price range. Hacked 5D, A7s, A7R, Blackmagic, etc

• Super Members

Bring out a full frame GH4 with a short flange focal distance and I'm sold.

I couldn't care less about a native lens line up. It's all about EF + speed booster. This could remove the SB from the equation and give us full frame at the same time.

Isnt it called "A7sii" ? ;)