FS5 vs A7S II vs URSA mini 4.6k

Nicolas MAILLET

Yea, i think Ursa's colour will be 2nd only to the Canon's (with raw output).. Who knows, maybe even same/better... Hopefully we see some footage in the coming month.

Just had a meeting with my business partner and we are sticking with the BM Ursa Mini 4.6k - could be a "risk" but one worth taking. This is based on overall image quality and how we want our future videos to look. We will struggle a bit more to achieve the needed aesthetics with the Sony's. 

I'm currently editing an FS7 shot music video and I've got my exposures spot on (it's tough in Slog). The quality is great - however it's not prime Blackmagic. I just love their image. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good choice. I'm pairing my 5DMKIII raw with a Blackmagic Micro Cinema cam for narrative work and looking at getting the Ursa mini 4.6k next year. 13.5 stops (with global shutter) and internal raw is the bomb.  My A7s has been relegated to stills, I might even downgrade to the next Sony APS-C mirrorless body for stills. I can't go back to 8bit compressed codecs.

I've seen such strange cable. Is it reliable though ? Data transfer is big.

For V mount batteries do you have any idea where i can make a bargain as the same as the CFast cards ? You have such great ideas for hardware !!!!

These have worked wonderfully for my Litepanels Astras at full power: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWUDOJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

These have worked wonderfully for my Litepanels Astras at full power: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWUDOJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I've got 6 Lanparte 150wh V-locks and they are great! Can be charged via D-Tap too, so no need for bulky expensive chargers. 

Got a good feeling about the 4.6k - no wonder RED moved to the market with the Raven. 

I've got 6 Lanparte 150wh V-locks and they are great! Can be charged via D-Tap too, so no need for bulky expensive chargers. 

Got a good feeling about the 4.6k - no wonder RED moved to the market with the Raven. 

I do too. I'll keep an eye on early reviews, but without any it is still the camera that I'm most excited about. Love the images out of BMD.

How about getting 2gb of SSD Storage for $1300 usable only with Ursa/Ursa Mini?  Will that change your mind, making the UM4.6k the no-brainer (provided it doesn't show up as a complete lemon)?

This is what Clifton Stommel has been up to, changing the game! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/648471422/rig-friendly-c-box-system-use-any-ssd-on-your-cfas/description

1gb SSDs are $400 each and the box will cost you $500.  Slam bam thank ya ma'am.

• 2 months later...

I'm facing similar situation: I've been looking at A7s II, FS5 and Ursa mini

As many of you i prefer the blackmagic's colour and disliked the sony's color science and as i doesnt want to bother with so much colorgrading (with BM its quite fast if i just make a basic colorcorrection).

I was looking for a LUT that i can just drop on the shots and look nice and right without the need to work a lot on it to get it basicly right. And i found a few really great and since than im thinking about getting the A7s II after all - especially as i found an adapter that has built in vari ND filter and smooth aperture control! that prevents a lot of headache for me - chack that out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OI98BBO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00OI98BBO&linkCode=as2&tag=caseywilsonci-20&linkId=6W5GY5LGQSEA7W6G

And here are the A7s luts i'm talking about:

And some other fooatge i started to like the Sony camera (a7s):

What you guys think of them? Was it problem for you to get a great image quickly in post for you before as well?

• 1 month later...

No problem to adjust levels on A7SII footage... It's more a problem of exposure on location... When exposed between +2 Stops and 100% Zebras, no problem at all... I can adjust things like on my 5D mark III RAW... And it's even easier... The only major big problem is to define the good white balance... Ok with a color meter and some charts... But could be a problem when not well adjusted... as 8 bits can't recover anything...

Concerning luts... i don't use one... I prefer adjust my levels with parade RGB and some waveforms by myself... This tends to have no "look" at all and i prefer that...

• 1 month later...

Hey Nicolas, What did you end up doing? I used the FS5 for the first time last weekend and I loved it. I will be reviewing it soon on my site (which is currently down and being updated). I own an A7S as a personal camera but want to move away from a DSLR/Mirroless format for my A Cam in a similar way like you where I would use it for clients as well. I've been thinking a C100MkII cause of the color (a C300Mkii if it was cheaper!) but the 4K option plus some of the newer tech is appealing.

Here is a short list of likes/dislikes:

- Its a professional digital camera!
- Variable ND is killer - 4 fixed positions (1 clear) AND variable at each. So quick and easy to use. FS  doesn't have this!
- 10bit @ 1080p - All those extra shades is a joy in post and pushing the grade further.
- Ergonomics - side grip handle, solid top handle with record button
- SD cards!
- Dual SD slots
- Proxy recording
- Looong battery life with large battery
- Addition of S-log 3 - easier to use then 2
- High frame rate for slow motion
- Decent amount of mounting points on the chassis
- Light weight and strips down small quick and easy. I can put together the body, lens, top handle, monitor, and side grip in 57 secs without trying too hard.
- Versatile Can be used with my shoulder rig quite well or hand held. Switching is very quick. 
- Upgrades coming from Sony like RAW to external.

Dislikes:

- The Sony color!! (this is a big one for me)
- Codec takes more computer performance in post
- White balance setting. Seemed to be only too settings. Indoor and outdoor and you can manually set each. Couldnt dial in a Kelvin setting like the A7s that I could find anyway.
- Fairly low internal bitrate of 50MB
- Slow motion is only bursts of 8 seconds then you wait for it to write to the card. Annoying but you just need to be set and ready or pick your shots with run and gun.
- Monitor is nice but just too small.
- EVF quality is too low and small
- No SLOG exposure help tools other then gamma assist and ONLY in EVF!!! ahahahah
- Bit noisy in low light but not too bad. Its not an A7s!
- 4K - should be a "Like" i know but its not because its only 3840×2160 not 4096 x 2160 like on the FS7.

I shot a quick little test one morning just for fun:

Shoulder rig photo attached.

It was a joy to shoot with for a full day run and gun. Its more or less going to be ordered soon.

I've heard people say its a small FS7. It isnt though. The FS7 really is a cinema camera compared to this.

Just my thoughts/experience and hope this helps. Will add anything else I forgot.

12910386_10153732188753884_717748772_n.jpg

Wonderful !!!!

I ended with an A7SII... I love it for its dynamic range and convenient aspects like small size, USB charging, 24x36mm look. In some ways i don't like it : 8 bits luma, color that have to be adjusted very well depending on lights sources, and the major drawback, the rolling shutter that sucks a lot...

I've used it in replacement of some big cameras on some shots for commercials i make, and it is truly a good camera to my eyes... But clients don't want small photocams like this and i still rent the big brothers i'm used to.

This FS5 looks like it's a cool camera... I'm waiting the RAW update to see if it does like the FS7, where the benefit is not a big big step... We'll see !!!!

• 4 weeks later...