Shining a light - Sony A7S II first impressions & 4K S-LOG 3 clips for download / grading

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

a7s-DSC02104.thumb.jpg.1e42e0db22339b894

The Sony A7S II has arrived at EOSHD. Does it impress? Yes.

Before my full review, I can give you an initial brain-dump of what I have noticed so far.

Read the full article

Download the 4K S-LOG 3 clips direct from my camera

Post yours in the A7S II Vimeo Group

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew thanks for the text. I think about slow mo. Can You upload on vimeo a few videos to download ? I saw in a few movies about a7s that slow mo has a big bump of noise. How is Your fell about it ? Can You record video with high iso in slow mo ? Are You sure that is 2.2 crop ? Is so big :( wide angle is hard in this mode. Thanks !

Great first impressions! Have you experienced the A7R II auto-focus with Canon lenses + metabones adapter? If so, have you also tried the A7S II auto focus with Canon lenses + metabones adapter? I'm looking for a camera that can take my canon lenses and take great stills, although being able to record 4k video in high quality for the odd job. Waiting for the canon 5dm4 but it seems i will have to wait forever and even then maybe the 4K won't be any good quality wize. Have been reading your blog for years, always nice insights and thoughts. Thank you! Missed you when you were gone a while recently and eager to read why the Canon 1DC had to go, you seemed to like it so much. All the best!

In total there are 9 video picture profiles now. The 2 extra ones are of course S-LOG 3. There are two presets for it with different Color Modes set. PP8 is “S-Gamut3 Cine” and PP9 is “S-Gamut3”. Perhaps a helpful FS7 user will tell us the difference.

I found this PDF on Sony's website about the differences between S-Gamut3 Cine and S-Gamut3. Hopefully it will help explain things a bit. https://community.sony.com/sony/attachments/sony/large-sensor-camera-F5-F55/12359/2/TechnicalSummary_for_S-Gamut3Cine_S-Gamut3_S-Log3_V1_00.pdf

Hi Andrew,

Since the A7sII still suffers from the same rolling shutter and moire as the original, I think it might be a fair to compare what a $3000 body + lens gets you compared to the $1200 little brother RX-10II. I would love to see you throw that into your upcoming comparison test. Comparing the A7sII with the RX-10II at first might seem a little crazy, but from a video centric perspective, the price, slow-motion and minimal rolling shutter/moire...it's a conversation for sure.

With new cameras coming out every day its seems, is it a worth investing $3000 in a A7sII body?

Great Job as Always.

Sorry folks, but by all these incredible features, specs, I still cannot get nice some filmic look, skin tones and saturated colors out of Sony. ..

At end of the day, that´s what I need for my creative work. I wanna control, use and paint with the light...but that is only my approach...some others don´t need this.

I catch sometime myself depending my work on specs and blaming Canon not to have all these things..just an excuse.

I can still do more with the image, colors coming out of my 5d3 more than with Sony`s which I tested also by myself. 

But it is only my PoW

P.S.

Showreel include shoots with Canon 550d 

Sorry folks, but by all these incredible features, specs, I still cannot get nice some filmic look, skin tones and saturated colors out of Sony. ..

At end of the day, that´s what I need for my creative work. I wanna control, use and paint with the light...but that is only my approach...some others don´t need this.

I catch sometime myself depending my work on specs and blaming Canon not to have all these things..just an excuse.

I can still do more with the image, colors coming out of my 5d3 more than with Sony`s which I tested also by myself. 

But it is only my PoW

P.S.

Showreel include shoots with Canon 550d 

I'm confused, was this supposed to be your example of good footage or bad footage?