GH3 and 12-35mm

Ben Corwin

Hello All.

So I recently bought a GH3 and I am now considering getting Panasonic's new 12-35mm lens. One of the developing topics about this lens, which seems to be making it's way into forums everywhere, is that the aperture "jumps" or stutters through the zoom range resulting in abrupt exposure changes. So I have to ask, is this something anyone's experiencing when using it with the GH3? Or is it only an issue when using it with a GH2?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi powderbanks,

Thanks for replying.

What I've read is that Panasonic lenses have issues because they are close to 100% electronically controlled lenses with very little mechanics inside. Because of this, the lens is constantly talking to the camera even when the camera is set to full manual control. Consequently, when you zoom through the range of the lens, the aperture electronically compensates with the movement of the optics to maintain a 2.8 aperture. Unfortunately for us, that electronically controlled aperture compensation is not a smooth transition at all, at least on the GH2 as seen below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2vjROGkgUA

So what I'm hoping is that maybe the GH3 has a better way of communicating with the lens when zooming. It would be nice to have a constant aperture lens without awful and abrupt changes in exposure.

Ben - There was a lot of talk about this lens creating moire.
However when Andrew tried it at a Panasonic shoot, he said it was very minor and nothing to worry about. BUT, he also added that because the gh3 sensor captures with such high detail, softer lenses like the voigtlanders and slr magics tend to produce a much more desirable image.

Personally, I'm very into the idea of having a totally sealed run and gun kit that requires no rain jacket and has image stabilization... But I'm still waiting for my camera ATM.

Another strike against this lens is that if you plan to eventually move up to the bmcc, it be basically useless.

I have my concerns too about the Aperture issue with the GH3, but i read somewhere (trying to remembering where) this issue is do not happen on the GH3 but in the GH2.

My other concers with the Lumix lens is the construction quality, my 14-140 lost the zoom band with the use; so, i hope this not happens on a $1000 lens.

I have my concerns too about the Aperture issue with the GH3, but i read somewhere (trying to remembering where) this issue is do not happen on the GH3 but in the GH2.

My other concers with the Lumix lens is the construction quality, my 14-140 lost the zoom band with the use; so, i hope this not happens on a $1000 lens.

I would love to see that article if you could find it. I can't seem to find anything.

gh2, even if it functions 110% properly on a gh3, as a lens, it still isn't worth it's cost.

a voightlander or 2 rokinon cine lenses would be better, or a sigma 30 & rokinon 85.

I "might" consider buying the 12-35 if it ever drops below $700, because that's all it's worth.

Yeah, it's definitely on the pricey side. Let's not forget you have ETC mode to work with as well. Unfortunately though, I've heard that the rolling shutter is massively exaggerated on the GH3 in ETC mode.