Sony A7sii review by TCSTV

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I'm not going to judge it from one single review.

But after seeing this I'm going to prepare myself for being dissapointed in the Dynamic Range. Just like I was in the A7s, and frankly,  anything with a Sony logo. It's not that it's bad. But it's always hyped at +15 stops that turn out to be 11.

But aside from that it seems to be a great camera. Lowlight needs no further comments. Small and light with great stabilization (at least from my experience with the a7ii).

Looking forward to Andrews review. Think his style is more suited for me as reference. 

• Super Members

From a few shots it definitely seemed better than my GH4 or NX1 in terms of DR... I'd say closer to12 / 12.5 but what do I know... ^^ DR is always a pain to measure !

The tricky part is that we don't know how they exposed and how they graded. That's why I need to see more examples. 

But the last daylight shots looked like lower than Canon 12 to my eye and definitely lower than BMD 13. Hopefully daylight tests won't be as hard to find as it was for the A7s. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

DR is physically impossible to be judged by watching a photo/video of a scene that we don't know the amount of DR it has. The only way it to see a reference camera therefore compare, 

HOWEVER, with time and time analyzing footage, you kind of get that eye in seeing these things, not giving an accurate measurement buy giving an idea on the whereabouts of the camera's DR, i.e., whether it's lower than 10, or higher than 12 or higher than 14-15. And this A7sII at first glance, hovers around 12 to my eyes. Add or remove 1. It looks to have a high DR. 

• Super Members

HOWEVER, with time and time analyzing footage, you kind of get that eye in seeing these things, not giving an accurate measurement buy giving an idea on the whereabouts of the camera's DR, i.e., whether it's lower than 10, or higher than 12 or higher than 14-15. And this A7sII at first glance, hovers around 12 to my eyes. Add or remove 1. It looks to have a high DR. 

Thats how I feel, have had so many cameras I can usualy ball park it.

And of course depends on our reference. What is 12 to me might be 11 to some body else.

Personally my reference is Blackmagic 2.5k cinema camera at 13. If a camera is better its above 13 and vice versa.

Therefor my guess on the a7sii is 11 +- 1. Could be tvelve but that remains to be seen.

The tricky part is that we don't know how they exposed and how they graded. That's why I need to see more examples. 

But the last daylight shots looked like lower than Canon 12 to my eye and definitely lower than BMD 13. Hopefully daylight tests won't be as hard to find as it was for the A7s. 

Yes you have to take into consideration that it was chris (the photo guy) who shot the part where they talked about video, he probably do not know how to expose correctly for slog3. I would have liked to seen some ungraded samples.

As mentioned in the video, the daytime shots were made with the original A7S. Only the nighttime stuff, slow motion, and SLog 3 examples were shot on the A7S II.
Dynamic range certainly looks improved, but that's mostly due to the SLog3 implementation I think.

• Super Members

As mentioned in the video, the daytime shots were made with the original A7S. Only the nighttime stuff, slow motion, and SLog 3 examples were shot on the A7S II.
Dynamic range certainly looks improved, but that's mostly due to the SLog3 implementation I think.

Totally missed that, thanks, will rewatch (would have done that anyway :) )

Great review btw, long time follower.

/M

Jordan (and Chris) you guys are Insanely Talented. I find most of the reviewers terribly boring, and I miss the Fast forward control on YouTube videos, during most other gadget reviews. 

But you guys seriously nail it. I think I have watched the Best and Worst Gear of 2014 and the Blooper Reel many many times over.

I don't know what else to say except Thank You for the entertainment and the completely watchable reviews. 

Jordan (and Chris) you guys are Insanely Talented. I find most of the reviewers terribly boring, and I miss the Fast forward control on YouTube videos, during most other gadget reviews. 

But you guys seriously nail it. I think I have watched the Best and Worst Gear of 2014 and the Blooper Reel many many times over.

I don't know what else to say except Thank You for the entertainment and the completely watchable reviews. 

I appreciate the kind words! I'm hoping this episode does really well and we can leverage it to do more traveling for TCSTV.

I need to come up with a good hook for the Best and Worst of 2015. Expectations are high.

I appreciate the kind words! I'm hoping this episode does really well and we can leverage it to do more traveling for TCSTV.
I need to come up with a good hook for the Best and Worst of 2015. Expectations are high.

You're welcome. I am looking forward to the year's Best and Worst episode. And, please another behind the scenes/ bloopers. Those are also necessary. :-)

Incorrect. The slow motion and gradeability tests are clearly being shot in daylight, in addition at 14:08 (during the daylight interview clips) he talks about adapters and a Leica lens being on the camera "right now", meaning those clips were shot with the A7S2, not the A7S.

If that is what the output really looks like, and it isn't a problem with the camera operator, then I would say the camera video IQ is pretty bad. It looks more like the sort of stuff you would get from a Canon DSLR in native video mode.

OK, to keep confusion to minimum: The opening shots from 0:45 to 11:35 are all shot on the A7S II. The talking heads before and after that are shot on the original A7S.

This might not be an ideally shot and graded video, but we only had production model A7SIIs for the one night and a half hour in the morning. Editing was obviously hurried as cameras are shipping right now. While it may not be our best looking work, I tested everything pretty extensively to make sure all our findings were accurate.