Patch/Hack Question: MJPEG Anamorphic 2x 4:3 at 70Mbit 1920×720/30p

Emin Henri Mahrt

Hi,

i've a general question. Is there any use of filming in MJPEG mode if i use an anamorphic adapter such as the century optix 1.33x?

Also, i tryed to switch my camera (after hacking it) to VGA Mode but i just could not find the MJPEG 1920x720/30p - what am i doing wrong here? Might the patch didnt work or is it just, thats not the VGA Mode and im trying the wrong video mode - which one is the right one?

Thanks for your help

Emin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi,

I think it make only sense to use with a anamorphic 2x, so you get 2.66 and not the extreme 3.55

With century 1.33 is no point I think.

To get MJPEG do the following:

1. Creative Mode------Set Manual movie mode

2. Motion Picture------Rec Mode------Set MOTION JPEG

3. Rec Quality---------Set VGA

If you got the Hack on GH2, these settings above will bring you 1920x720 with anamorphic 2x straight out of the card ready to edit in mov codec.

Best regards.

I use a 1.33x adapter and your anamorphic patch. For me, it seams like the image is much noisier than before.

I read somewhere, that this is "normal" and i have to reduce the noice later with my editing program (i just have premiere pro). Is that right or wrong? Sorry if im asking stupid questions.

Please check my video: https://vimeo.com/56560038

Also, i dont 100% get the advantage of using MJPEG instead of AHVCD 24p mode (which is much more cinematic) - is there an easy explanation why i should use MJPEG?

Isnt it better to do the post processing (in example exporting the image in 1080p, 1.33 PAR via Adobe Premiere Pro or interpret the footage and let Premiere Pro do the work) than let it be done by the camera? My actual patch is automaticall cropping the picture to 1920x810 out of the camera.

Hope this is the right place to ask this kind of questions.

Best regards
Emin

the noise is due to the way the different codecs work; and probably also the way the camera is putting the image it into the 1920x720 frame..something like with what happens in extele mode. mjpeg is also only in 30fps. i have a 2x anamorphic and i rarely use the mjpeg modes. though i did find a patch that takes the hd mjpeg mode into 2k...so i need to test that out. the footage is still plenty usable. i shot this video with a 2x anamorphic and the canon fd 50mm/1.8. i was curious to see how the anamorphic fared handheld..(i'm still getting used to the dual focusing, there's some spots, most notably in the interview bits, where i was off..)

https://vimeo.com/53870989

the only reason i'd use mjpeg is for the instant aspect ratio correction. and i can get ~2hrs of footage on my 64 gb card in mjpeg as opposed to just under 1hr in avchd/24p cinema mode (driftwood's canis majoris night or sedna patches). if you use the mjpeg mode, you don't need to do anything to the aspect ratio; it's correct and properly de-squeezed to use right off the card. for avchd footage that i shoot anamorphic, i interpret the footage and force the pixel size to anamorphic 2x.

and the only reason why it is in mjpeg mode is because you can't adjust the avchd dimensions like mjpeg. i'm guessing it has to do with the avchd codec being designed for hd formats, so it only works with the standard 1080/720 dimensions..but that's a complete guess. another advantage of mjpeg is that you can drop the frame rate down to 2fps for timelapse. i'm not sure if it would work to change the framerate to 24fps, without having issues. i haven't seen a patch with that, so i would assume it crashes. 

Basically the best result i've got was by using the 24p mode and editing the image with adobe premiere pro. Adobe implemented a "native" easy way to interpret the footage to "correct" it to the right 1.33 (in my case) format.

I think i will go with that. Still, im quite qurious why people use the MJPEG mode instead of the 24p cinema mode.

I just dont get it =)

Best regard

Emin

BTW: i really like your work!

Basically the best result i've got was by using the 24p mode and editing the image with adobe premiere pro. Adobe implemented a "native" easy way to interpret the footage to "correct" it to the right 1.33 (in my case) format.

I think i will go with that. Still, im quite qurious why people use the MJPEG mode instead of the 24p cinema mode.

I just dont get it =)

Best regard

Emin

BTW: i really like your work!

thanks. i need to shoot some more stuff anamorphic. as to why people use mjpeg, like i said earlier, there are some things you can do to the mjpeg settings that you can't do to the avchd settings. you can tweak the settings for different resolutions, like 1920x720 for the 2.66 ratio with a 2x anamorphic or 2k (2048x1152). you can drop the frame rate to 2fps for time lapse. with the gh1, i think i had mjpeg mode in a 4:2:2 color space, which is beneficial for green screen/chromakey work. and mjpeg takes up significantly less space on sd cards. on a 64gb card, i can shoot a little over 2 hours of mjpeg footage, as opposed to just under 1 hour in avchd. having said all that, i rarely shoot mjpeg. it's more of a special use setting than anything else

At personal-view.com i've got that answer:

@eminogrande At ISO 3200 on either the GH1 or GH2, MJPEG is definitely going to be noisy. With an anamorphic adapter, I'd recommend shooting at ISO 800 or less.

MJPEG 1.33x anamorphic mode has two advantages over post-processing 24p anamorphic footage:

1. Convenience - the camera does the 1.33x horizontal stretch, producing square pixels natively.

2. Compression quality - the camera stretches the frame before it's encoded into MJPEG format. The drawback of stretching the frame in post is that you're working with compressed 8-bit color data.

Whats you opinion on that? I tryed different hacks and like you said before, i saw better results in 24p (hacked) mode AHVCD but i also would like to "trust" what LPowell told me above.