Sony RX100 IV review – with 1080p this good, 4K is merely a bonus

Andrew Reid

The autofocus continously autofocuses everything is making me a bit wary to capture quick and spontaneous family things. I don't mind manual focus or taking time to compose but sometimes you just want to hit record and then capture the moment or if a lot if happening in the scene I don't want it to keep hunting or tracking the wrong thing. Am I asking too much from the RX100? I just want to get away from using the D750 for personal stuff. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The autofocus continously autofocuses everything is making me a bit wary to capture quick and spontaneous family things. I don't mind manual focus or taking time to compose but sometimes you just want to hit record and then capture the moment or if a lot if happening in the scene I don't want it to keep hunting or tracking the wrong thing. Am I asking too much from the RX100? I just want to get away from using the D750 for personal stuff. 

Are you sure you don't have pre-auto focus activated?If so you can turn it off in the menus.

I haven't purchased the RX100 IV yet as was wary about it being the right tool for the job which is to capture family moments for both photo and video and get me into the world of Sony.

Thanks for the information about  pre-auto focus activated. Am I right in thinking I can then shoot freely and the auto focus should be decent? I can also then depress the shutter to gain focus again if I want to?

I haven't purchased the RX100 IV yet as was wary about it being the right tool for the job which is to capture family moments for both photo and video and get me into the world of Sony.

Thanks for the information about  pre-auto focus activated. Am I right in thinking I can then shoot freely and the auto focus should be decent? I can also then depress the shutter to gain focus again if I want to?

Well the auto-focus is decent for video,even better for photos,not as good as the a6000/a5100,I guess that can be explained by the contrast only auto-focus system. Far as your last question,I have only had the camera a week or so but I havn't been able to focus more quickly by depressing the shutter in video recordings.I tend to manual focus or let the continuous AF do its thing.

I see people reference internal stabilization, but on the sony website and in reviews, see no mention of internal stabilization for this camera and this is a big issue for me. What internal stabilization does this have if any? The other interest for me is if the SLR Magic add on anamorphic lens will work well with this camera? 

You would think if the camera body has internal stabilization they would shout it from the roof tops. I am very interested in this camera, but the biggest drawback is how fiddly it is in use? If the menus are not organized well or it may be a case of getting used to finding what you need in different places as opposed to having it all in one place? So familiarity may overcome the menu situation or it may just be fiddly and miss action as a result?

I see people reference internal stabilization, but on the sony website and in reviews, see no mention of internal stabilization for this camera and this is a big issue for me. What internal stabilization does this have if any? The other interest for me is if the SLR Magic add on anamorphic lens will work well with this camera? 

You would think if the camera body has internal stabilization they would shout it from the roof tops. I am very interested in this camera, but the biggest drawback is how fiddly it is in use? If the menus are not organized well or it may be a case of getting used to finding what you need in different places as opposed to having it all in one place? So familiarity may overcome the menu situation or it may just be fiddly and miss action as a result?

The camera actually has three steps of internal stabilization.Standard,Active and Intelligent Active,with Active and Intelligent Active having slight crops.Yes familiarity does help with menu navigation,I have two other sony cameras so the menu doesn't bother me as much.I have my most used setting assigned to custom buttons.

Nice review. I've just sold my A6000 to get one of these. It will be nice to have a camera that I can carry in my main pocket again, instead of a phone. I've really missed the limitations of a compact camera too. Although with 4k, high frame rates, S-LOG 2, good macro capability, active image stabilisation and not having to worry about carrying around additional lenses, it actually has more going for it that the A6000.

A quick question though, does anybody know if the Clear Image Zoom works when shooting 1080P video without any quality loss? As far as I know, it just crops in on the sensor, right?

Nice review. I've just sold my A6000 to get one of these. It will be nice to have a camera that I can carry in my main pocket again, instead of a phone. I've really missed the limitations of a compact camera too. Although with 4k, high frame rates, S-LOG 2, good macro capability, active image stabilisation and not having to worry about carrying around additional lenses, it actually has more going for it that the A6000.

A quick question though, does anybody know if the Clear Image Zoom works when shooting 1080P video without any quality loss? As far as I know, it just crops in on the sensor, right?

I have the RX100 IV and really like it.My only real issue is the short battery life,I brought 3 extra batteries just to feel comfortable.The low light performance is good,the noise is more of a fine grain. I just did a test and from what I can see the clear image zoom doesn't seem to degrade quality much. I haven't attempt to shoot anything of real length,meaning 4 to 5 minute takes so I haven't suffered any overheating.The 1080p is so good I barely shoot 4k but it's nice to know it's there if I need brief clips.

Is the RX100 IV locked to NTSC or PAL depending on where purchased from or can the frame rates be changed 25/30/50/60?

It's region switchable.

Any more news on the autofocus in video mode? 

I was looking at a camcorder but the M4 for photo and video seems more logical in a smaller package . I am just worried the M4 just hunts in auto focus mode. I just want to pick up the camera and hit shoot to capture the toddler doing something and want it to focus properly if there is movement in the scene? Could anyone please give any insight into the video auto focus.

I manually focus my D750 for everything but wanted something for family time that can hand to anyone to capture video snippets.

Thanks

Any more news on the autofocus in video mode? 

The RX100 and RX10 both do pretty well in video mode AF. The face detection is VERY good, and if you're looking for more scenic stuff "wide" focus hasn't let me down. In low light situations it isn't going to blow your mind, but as long as there is some contrast on your subject you should be fine.

I threw together a little video of the RX10 mkii HFR modes. The quality is pretty much identical to the RX100 mkIV. I'm beyond impressed:

Thank you for your reply @lattiboy. Cheers for the info about the face detection and wide modes. It will mainly be to shoot family moments. I had looked at the Panasonic X900 and X920 camcorders but the RX100 M4 seems to kill two birds with one stone as long as it nails quick enough focus so when playing back isn't always hunting.

The striking a match video looks very good. I can already see how the slow motion can add decent value to shoots.

I have the RX100 IV and really like it.My only real issue is the short battery life,I brought 3 extra batteries just to feel comfortable.The low light performance is good,the noise is more of a fine grain. I just did a test and from what I can see the clear image zoom doesn't seem to degrade quality much. I haven't attempt to shoot anything of real length,meaning 4 to 5 minute takes so I haven't suffered any overheating.The 1080p is so good I barely shoot 4k but it's nice to know it's there if I need brief clips.

True, the battery's not so good. I just got the camera a couple of days ago and bought an extra two of the Sony branded batteries. Are yours Sony, or third party? I've seen some really cheap versions, so might try a couple of those too as an additional back up. But in the past with Sony cameras I've had, third party batteries have never worked and bring up an error message.

So far I've mostly just been shooting 250fps clips. I knew sooner or later those high frame rate modes the FS700 had a few years back would make it into something affordable.

I have no idea why reviewers I've seen complain about the menus? They work fine and are easy to navigate. I have the down wheel button for aperture and shutter speed, the left button for white balance, right button for ISO, the C button to toggle between auto and manual focus, and with the control ring only used for focus. Everything else I could ever need I have in the function menu.

I've also set up the three memory recall presets. The first set to 4K 25P with a 1/50 shutter, the second 1080 50P with active IS and a 1/100 shutter, and the third 1080 100P with a 1/200 shutter.

Just waiting for the Lensmate filter adapter to arrive so I can throw a variable ND on there.

By the way, I remember that some A7R II users were able reduce overheating issues by opening up the LCD st the back. I'm hoping that will help here too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just waiting for the Lensmate filter adapter to arrive so I can throw a variable ND on there.

I picked one of these up a few days ago. I was expecting the worst menu system ever but its not that bad. Try the Olympus menu and then you will love the sony. 

How do you find the built in ND? For me it does not really help if you are in slog2 on bright sunny days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and posted the questions below to the "Lenses" topic already, but should have posted them here (Admins - sorry about that!). Here are the questions:

Andrew's great review has got me convinced that I need this camera because I love slo mo! I'd love to try the hack mentioned in that article about increasing the camera's poor zoom range. Would anyone be able to recommend a teleconversion lens to use with this camera? Or is it just pot luck? Based on reviews at bhphotovideos.com, I can see that some lenses won't even focus properly! Also, these teleconversion lenses only work when the RX100 is already at its full telephoto zoom range, right? What happens in between the max range then? No focus?

Thanks in advance!

K.

How does the Sony A5100 compare to this? I ordered an A5100 via an Amazon lightening deal but wondering now whether I should have upped my budget and got the RX100 IV? I just wanted something quick and easy to capture the toddler.

How does the Sony A5100 compare to this? I ordered an A5100 via an Amazon lightening deal but wondering now whether I should have upped my budget and got the RX100 IV? I just wanted something quick and easy to capture the toddler.

Probably if you don't need the HFR features then the A5100 is better value. But tbh I think the A6000 is worth the extra cash... I didn't like the overall feel of the a5100 compared to the a6000. 

If you can do without the interchangeable lens mount then go for the RX100 IMO