A few musings on what I missed in my month off from EOSHD!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

sony-fs5.thumb.jpg.dd1b2dad14504c5ef283f

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed I've been taking over a month off from EOSHD. Here are my views on what happened whilst I was away.

I am selling up...

After over 5 years of EOSHD I must admit to needing a break from gear. I'm going to completely wipe the slate clean later this month. I will clean out my studio and move. I am selling almost everything I have, but rather than putting it on eBay I will be offering it to EOSHD readers first. Almost everything is going including my Sony A7R II and Canon 1D C. Email me now if you're interested.

EOSHD will continue, but more like in the earlier days. A focus on an artistic approach to cheap gear and lenses. What is the point of me buying a $8k camera and as a result never being interested in the next GH5 or cheap $600 killer camera that kicks way above its station?

So although I won't be buying a Raven or Sony FS5 then, I will continue to offer my views on the higher end kit at EOSHD...

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Glad to hear you're getting back to your core genius!  There continues to be a huge need out there for people who want to do cool things with consumer cameras.  I posted a video on how to run Magic Lantern on an EOS-M two years ago and it has 10,000 views.  It got 43 last week.  A quick NEX7 video I did has 15,000 views.  I bought a Canon 50D a few months ago, and run ML on it again, the same camera that brought me to EOSHD in the first place.  For the money, it is STILL a very powerful creative tool, which I'm sure you'll agree.  Lately, I've been playing around with the LX100.  The 4K photo mode is very interesting, not a lot of work has been done on that, or on other cameras.  Davinici Resolve, I've given up on it because it's just too complicated.  Gimbals are another complex gadget that will need guidance as they get cheaper and better.  Or the Panasonic G6.  I finally bought one and Andy Lee is right, a perfect camera in its way, timeless.  And yes, the BMPCC is a very creative camera but many people don't understand why.  In short, the original reason for EOSHD is as relevant as ever!

I've learned a lot here at EOSHD and I look forward to the old Andrew ;)

Glad to hear you're getting back to your core genius!  There continues to be a huge need out there for people who want to do cool things with consumer cameras.  I posted a video on how to run Magic Lantern on an EOS-M two years ago and it has 10,000 views.  It got 43 last week.  A quick NEX7 video I did has 15,000 views.  I bought a Canon 50D a few months ago, and run ML on it again, the same camera that brought me to EOSHD in the first place.  For the money, it is STILL a very powerful creative tool, which I'm sure you'll agree.  Lately, I've been playing around with the LX100.  The 4K photo mode is very interesting, not a lot of work has been done on that, or on other cameras.  Davinici Resolve, I've given up on it because it's just too complicated.  Gimbals are another complex gadget that will need guidance as they get cheaper and better.  Or the Panasonic G6.  I finally bought one and Andy Lee is right, a perfect camera in its way, timeless.  And yes, the BMPCC is a very creative camera but many people don't understand why.  In short, the original reason for EOSHD is as relevant as ever!

I've learned a lot here at EOSHD and I look forward to the old Andrew ;)

I was one or two of those 43 views on the eos-m video. Great stuff. I just recently uploaded ML onto my eos-m and have been having a blast with it... Even though it infuriates me almost every 5 and a half minutes. 

• Administrators

Dibs on your Centavision!  hahahahahahahaha.  I know you said you would be buried with it in your coffin, so I suggest you arrange for a two man coffin, I'll be buried alive with your corpse, so I can spend a few hours with the lens (before the air runs out)  

Haha.

Not much to shoot in a coffin!!

By everything I mean... not quite everything ;)

What exactly is "everything"?

I'm working on a list with pics, next week will start blogging the gear I am selling. There's a ton of it.

If one can tell a good story chances are one can be a good filmmaker.  now with the barriers to good motion picture IQ falling away, those that are creative will be the ones valued...unlike the past, where if you had the gear you were automatically established.

EOSHD's 2013 review of the GM1 and GX7 lead me to get my hands on cheap consumer cams with wonderful IQ.  Making movies with that gear has been a ton of fun.

• Administrators

I think the creative side is a very personal thing.

I don't really get a lot of creative value about reading articles about other people's processes or ideas, which is why I don't ready NoFilmSchool very often for example...

EOSHD as a gear blog will remain focussed on the equipment because it is useful for people trying to decide between cam A and B to know which one suits them before they lay down the money.

Creativity is quite instinctual and life-experienced based, requires a strong personal voice I think.

Possible to get an idea of what your current go-to cameras are, Andrew? Unless that's nosy. I'd assume rx100iv, gh4, nx1 for your cooke's, anamorphics, and slowmo. excited you're back, and for the low budget focus going forward!

• Super Members

Cool.

I had a similar approach a few monts back when the A7rii was released. I looked at the price and thought "why".

Bought two 16mm film cameras and a bunch of film instead. And still had over $2000 left before reaching the cost of the Sony.

Thats why I have the G7. But now Im back to DSLR + BMPCC.

The missus's company made the Muse 32 camera 4k live Rome shoot DVD last year - and post watching it, thoughts for me - did it enhance the experience? - added nothing emotionally personally - added in post a world of expense and struggle - of course. Worth it? Personally nope as a punter. Hendrix Electric Ladyland mono vinyl still to me is the better sounding of all its incarnations - less sanitized more visceral, beauty is the imperfection of perfection (paraphrased and forgot who said it) and a bit of filth for me tends to be good.