LED light advice

barefoot

Hi, guys, I'm looking to buy a small lighting setup to try out for video (complete beginner with lights). I'm planning on using it initially for mostly interviews (and perhaps eventually in short films too). 

I'm currently thinking of buying one big and one smaller LED light to test out. For the bigger light, I've come across the Eachshot Amaran H528, which claims to have 95 CRI. And there are three models (each for £150):

H528C - Color
3200k - 5500k
75 degrees beam angle
725 LUX (according to one Amazon reviewer)

H528W - Wide
75 degrees beam angle
1220 LUX 

H528S - Spot
25 degrees beam angle
4380 LUX

The "S" model light seems to be a little narrow, so I was thinking of the "W" model, perhaps with some CTO gel. 

Would this be sufficient and value for money, or should I be looking elsewhere? I'm very open to suggestions. Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi barefoot!

If I'm not wrong, the H528's are 88 to 95 CRI, not 95 (they just write 95 in the info). So you could see a color shift. I've got 3 Aputure lights:  HR672S, HR672W and a smaller AL-H198C, and all 3 are 95+. I really like them... nice balanced light, with no tints, they don't overheat and they're completely silent. I also have a Yongnuo YN-600, and it's got a strong magenta tint to it, and it's very noisy. The HR672's comes with 2 NP batteries included (which ain't cheap), and cost around 160 quid. If you are going to bounce or filter your lights, I recommend the HR672S (Spot) model. It's brighter, and easier to control...

Light Storm looks great, but it's still a bit pricey (you can get 3 HR672's for the same money)... But they do look great!

Hope it helps!

Hi barefoot!

If I'm not wrong, the H528's are 88 to 95 CRI, not 95 (they just write 95 in the info). So you could see a color shift. I've got 3 Aputure lights:  HR672S, HR672W and a smaller AL-H198C, and all 3 are 95+. I really like them... nice balanced light, with no tints, they don't overheat and they're completely silent. I also have a Yongnuo YN-600, and it's got a strong magenta tint to it, and it's very noisy. The HR672's comes with 2 NP batteries included (which ain't cheap), and cost around 160 quid. If you are going to bounce or filter your lights, I recommend the HR672S (Spot) model. It's brighter, and easier to control...

Light Storm looks great, but it's still a bit pricey (you can get 3 HR672's for the same money)... But they do look great!

Hope it helps!

John, that was a big mistake I almost made. (And the price difference is only like £20!) Also, I was exactly looking at the H198 / C for a smaller unit.

About the HR672S, I come from a photography background, and I've never worked with light that natively outputs a narrow angle of light (I guess the equivalent would be using a snoot for photography). I'd probably try to shoot the HR672S through a umbrella, or my 6' reflector---which, when stripped, doubles as a 6' diffusion sheet---for interviews. Or would a HR672W be more practical for my need?

Also, do you recommend the HR672C or just getting CTO gels? 

I have 2 Yongnuo 600 (the one with just 5500° K led, in order to have full power and not 300 led for 3200 and 300 for 5500) and one Dorr 820 LED (variable 3200°-7000° K): I find the Yongnuo very good, better then Dorr, no color cast problems.

I used them in this video: both in the infinity black part and in the staircase as backlight for the singer. 

They seems cheaper then similar Aputure lights, but Aputure gives you power adapter, batteries and the light mount... so, probably, next time I would buy Aputure instead Yongnuo, because at the end I had to buy batteries, power adapter and mount... 

We use the AL-H198, 672W, 672S, and Light Storm LS1s (all 95+ CRI) and LS1/2 (98+ CRI).  Suggest avoiding the bicolor models (not as bright). These are the first LEDs we've used with really good color for skin tones. They are good enough for still photography as well: almost as good as strobes for skin color.

Putting gels on lower color-accuracy LEDs will never look as good due to spectral spikes (we tried). The LS1's have barn doors which come in very handy for attaching the included tracing paper to produce excellent diffuse light. The LS1/2 clips the tracing paper much closer (no barn doors); not quite as diffuse- perhaps better to bounce off a reflector if more diffusion is needed.

what do you guys think about flexible LEDs like this?

650x650x107-2-7400-Curved-Daylight.jpg,q

i like how theyre all bendy and u can roll em up and stick em anywhere

no idea what im talking about here just wondering if flexible leds suck for some reason lol

I did see 'em before. For me one of the more exciting things showcased at NAB. Next to Aputure's Light Storm series.

Ofcourse at IBC a Chinese company was already working on a similar product (to the Wescott, I've already seen similar Aputure panels on LinkDelight)...

About the HR672S, I come from a photography background, and I've never worked with light that natively outputs a narrow angle of light (I guess the equivalent would be using a snoot for photography). I'd probably try to shoot the HR672S through a umbrella, or my 6' reflector---which, when stripped, doubles as a 6' diffusion sheet---for interviews. Or would a HR672W be more practical for my need?

Also, do you recommend the HR672C or just getting CTO gels? 

Hi!

For interviews (or photography) I always use diffuse light. So having a spot light is better for 2 reasons: Stronger light output (the light's power is focused), so you can even compete with sun light in some cases. And 2nd, it's easier to control, the W (wide) sends light in all directions. I prefer to have control over it. I use mine with a softbox with a grid: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer®-Umbrella-Reflector-Honeycomb-Speedlite/dp/B00U8M4P2O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1444990240&sr=8-5&keywords=Andoer®+80cm

I would avoid the C (color) versions, because they have half the light output, as someone pointed out above. And the included warm color gels work fine. But it all comes down to your workflow. This review helped me out when I bought mine:

http://eriknaso.com/2015/01/11/aputure-hr672s-led-video-lights-first-look/

I have 2 Yongnuo 600 (the one with just 5500° K led, in order to have full power and not 300 led for 3200 and 300 for 5500) and one Dorr 820 LED (variable 3200°-7000° K): I find the Yongnuo very good, better then Dorr, no color cast problems.

II thought the YN600 didn't have a cast until I got the Aputures. Huge difference!! And worst thing about them... noise, when that fan kicks in, it can ruin a interview.

We use the AL-H198, 672W, 672S, and Light Storm LS1s (all 95+ CRI) and LS1/2 (98+ CRI).  Suggest avoiding the bicolor models (not as bright). These are the first LEDs we've used with really good color for skin tones. They are good enough for still photography as well: almost as good as strobes for skin color.

Putting gels on lower color-accuracy LEDs will never look as good due to spectral spikes (we tried). The LS1's have barn doors which come in very handy for attaching the included tracing paper to produce excellent diffuse light. The LS1/2 clips the tracing paper much closer (no barn doors); not quite as diffuse- perhaps better to bounce off a reflector if more diffusion is needed.

Thanks, jcs. I'll skip the bicolor model as per your and John's advice. And LS1/2 would be stretching my budget a bit. For now the 672S should suffice (along with some warm gel). A shame the 672 series doesn't have barn doors. And I can't find any add-ons either. So I guess it's DIY.

Hi!

For interviews (or photography) I always use diffuse light. So having a spot light is better for 2 reasons: Stronger light output (the light's power is focused), so you can even compete with sun light in some cases. And 2nd, it's easier to control, the W (wide) sends light in all directions. I prefer to have control over it. I use mine with a softbox with a grid: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer®

®

+80cm

Awesome modifier, John. Just what I've been looking for. This works well with spreading the light for the "S" model. It looks like I don't need an adapter ring for that, too. I might opt for the Andoer 95cm / 37.4in Octagon Umbrella Softbox with the Honeycomb Grid

Awesome modifier, John. Just what I've been looking for. This works well with spreading the light for the "S" model. It looks like I don't need an adapter ring for that, too. I might opt for the Andoer 95cm / 37.4in Octagon Umbrella Softbox with the Honeycomb Grid

You won't be disappointed. It doesn't feel cheap at all, and you can use the light mount included with the Aputures.

I would avoid the C (color) versions, because they have half the light output, as someone pointed out above. And the included warm color gels work fine. But it all comes down to your workflow. This review helped me out when I bought mine:

http://eriknaso.com/2015/01/11/aputure-hr672s-led-video-lights-first-look/

Great link. Been looking for some affordable LED's myself - right now I lug some DIY 48" fluorescent fixtures using fixtures from the home improvement store. The "S" version looks like it throws enough light to be a key in daylight. Sweet.

For me one of the more exciting things showcased at NAB

i kno rite?! so cool. the tech has come so far its crazy... i used to think of "lighting" as being virtually synonymous with heavy fussy stuff that gets really hot and can be legitimately dangerous. just the fact that these things wont burn someones finger off is still awesome to me lol

Whilst on the subject of LED, this was featured in blogs last year quite a bit. Fascinating for those who haven't seen it.

yeah like me wth this is AWESOME~!!! something like this is def going in my dream art studio one day ?