E-M5 vs GH3 for Olympus lenses

yupmouthteeth

I'm a news shooter who is looking for a back-up m43 camera for run and gun stories. I need something relatively low key that wont draw too much attention.

I know that when it comes to video quality, save for a hacked GH2 (which I already have), the market is now controlled by either the GH3 or the E-M5.

I have purchased several of the amazing olympus lenses (including the 17mm and 75mm). I am wondering if these lenses are compatible in terms of AF and whatnot with the GH3. I know they share the same mounts, but I am wondering if there are any drawbacks.

For example, will autofocus be faster on the E-M5 with these lenses over the GH3, just simply because they come from the same manufacturer, or is there any difference whatsoever?

And finally, in terms of still image quality, am I correct in assuming that the E-M5 is superior to the GH3? And if so, by how much?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

AF is quick with both cameras. As far as video is concerned, I don't really use autofocus so that doesn't factor in for me. For just a run and gun camera between those 3, I'd pick GH3 since it's layout is a lot more suited for on the fly scenarios as opposed to the GH2, at least in my eyes. Love both though.

Olympus lenses work on Panasonic mirrorless, and vice versa.  AF works better for each maker, in other words Olympus 17mm on an Olympus E-M5.  Both cameras do AF in video, but the GH3 has much better video modes.  Olympus is stuck at 30P, GH3 can do 24P, 30P and 60P.  Might not matter if you only do web videos, then either works.  E-M5 is more a stills camera, GH3 is more video.  I suggest trying them both to see which one you like.  They are both in the same price range.

Olympus lenses work on Panasonic mirrorless, and vice versa.  AF works better for each maker, in other words Olympus 17mm on an Olympus E-M5.  Both cameras do AF in video, but the GH3 has much better video modes.  Olympus is stuck at 30P, GH3 can do 24P, 30P and 60P.  Might not matter if you only do web videos, then either works.  E-M5 is more a stills camera, GH3 is more video.  I suggest trying them both to see which one you like.  They are both in the same price range.

I see. Thanks! E-M5 has better stills quality than GH3, right?

E-M5 has better stills, GH3 has better video. At least that's what consensus is.