Watch a short 600d test video, help the beginner with unknown problem

lister

Hello everyone

Watch short 600d test video. Hand held and than stabilized in sony vegas. I stabilized it in mercalli v2, and it is even worse.

Problem is not in shaky video, but in, I dont know how to call it – high frequency trembling that you notice, particularly in stabilized video. This shivering, or sometimes slower “breathing or hearbeats" of video looks to me more like some weird distortions of whole image than regular shaky video. As I noticed this in my videos, I sometimes notice it in some others on the web also. Does anyone knows what is this and how to avoid it next time?

My video:

http://youtu.be/B2FOLHmn5Qw

Also I noticed something similar in this video

vimeo.com   >  /groups/600d/videos/55359162

Its a short cut, but notice what the cup is doing on 21 seconds mark.

My setup is:

600d

magic lantern

flaat 10

1080p 25fps

18-55 IS II

IS off

edited in sony vegas pro 10

rendered as:

Sony AVC

High definition (1920x1080)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

well, it the meantime i learned this.
this distortion is called rolling shutter ripple effect.
the reason why it happens is because stabilization plugins have problems with cameras like dslrs which produce general rolling shutter effects.
for explanation check this video at 3:30 mark.
http://nofilmschool.com/2011/04/warp-stabilizer-rolling-shutter-camera-shake-after-effects-adobe/

i guess i need better plugin or software.

tnx

Your plug-ins and software are fine, but it's best to minimise this rolling shutter or "jello" effect at source, rather than rely on fixing it in software. 

For this kind of shot you can use a tripod, then introduce a little camera shake in software afterwards for handheld feel. Or, if you want a less "jello" but till a real hand-held feel, use some kind of handheld rig for stability.

Plug-ins like Mercalli and Warp Stabilizer can only deal with a certain degree of shake effectively, the rolling shutter can be destructive, so if it's possible to eliminate it at the point of shooting, without software, that's the best idea.

Also, turn your IS on! ;) It's much nicer than plug-in based stabilisation on the whole.

Your plug-ins and software are fine, but it's best to minimise this rolling shutter or "jello" effect at source, rather than rely on fixing it in software. 

For this kind of shot you can use a tripod, then introduce a little camera shake in software afterwards for handheld feel. Or, if you want a less "jello" but till a real hand-held feel, use some kind of handheld rig for stability.

Plug-ins like Mercalli and Warp Stabilizer can only deal with a certain degree of shake effectively, the rolling shutter can be destructive, so if it's possible to eliminate it at the point of shooting, without software, that's the best idea.

Also, turn your IS on! ;) It's much nicer than plug-in based stabilisation on the whole.

i was confued because i know that rolling shutter is problem when you pan around like crazy. this is first time that i see that it can be a problem when taking static handheld shots.. crazy..  this is bigger problem than i tought...really limits your options and picture quality. i will try with is on and see if it helps. also this after effects stabilization looks way better than vegas one. some professional cameramen told me to lurn IS off because it can create some distortions and that it was designed for photography and not video.

tnx

Yes it's a huge issue with CMOS sensors, truly the best way to get rid of it is on set, not in post, by using rigging. IS does create slightly jumpy shots sometimes, but that's better than camera-on-a-jelly style wobble.

Did you try switching it on and judging for yourself if you like the picture better? Last shoot I was on at the Tennis Masters in London the IS stayed on with the Canon 28-300 all the time. Switching it off was much, much worse... it's certainly better than nothing. best make your own mind up... pinch of salt and all that.

i was confued because i know that rolling shutter is problem when you pan around like crazy. this is first time that i see that it can be a problem when taking static handheld shots.. crazy..  this is bigger problem than i tought...really limits your options and picture quality. i will try with is on and see if it helps. also this after effects stabilization looks way better than vegas one. some professional cameramen told me to lurn IS off because it can create some distortions and that it was designed for photography and not video.

tnx

That's nonsense. IS will indeed improve the image. Lenses are optical stabilizers and they reduce the jitter before the images are recorded. This will reduce the jello effect as well. Just try it out, do a comparison recording the same stuff with IS on and off and judge for yourself whether it creates distortion or it makes it all look smoothier.