Best full frame camera?

galenb

I have some stuff I'd like to shoot full frame. I'd like to shoot some of it in slowmo but I don't know if there are any full frame cameras that can shoot 1080/60p. I was just going to rent a 5Dmk3 for a few days but I'm wondering what you guys think of the other options out there? Are there other full frame options that compete with the 5Dmk3? Any that will do 1080/60p?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I THINK the A99 is the only one that does 1080/60, but it suffers from moire/aliasing like crazy. Same with the VG900 camcorder. Still, If that doesn't bother you i've seen some beautiful footage out of the A99.

With the recent price drops it seems like the 5D is really the way to go if you really want full frame. 

IMO the drawbacks of the offerings in the full frame dept are too high.  when someone makes a 4k full frame sensor, this will be the key.  even the 1DC doesnt use full frame on any of its proper recording modes.  4k is cropped to aps-h which is not full frame, or anywhere close.

If the vg900 had proper profiles like on the nex 5n and nex 7 id have been on it.  you cant get flat profiles on the vg900.   moire on the sonys is overtalked based on rubbish tests.  Set your sharpening to -3 (if you can and I bet its fine).  A99 has stupid mount meaning you need to use sony a mount lenses which will no doubt be fazed out in a matter of years - why use lenses which need a 50mm+ flange focal distance when mirrorless is the way forward.  Add to that, Sony A mount are consumer, and have a limited following so they will be worth nothing in a matter of years, and I'd never think of buying expensive consumer lenses from Sony. 

Canon 6D with a digic 5 wouldn't hurt to check out.  Nikon D800 is nice tbh

No reason to buy the 6D if the 5D3 is in your price range. 

Nikon D800 is another nice option again if you dont mind the moire. The D600 would probably be frustrating as you can not change the aperture in live view. Though i suppose if you only use manual lenses thats not a huge deal

Canon 1 DX is the best full frame DSLR right now. Period.

Its 2 stops better than 5D3..and much sharper. Almost as sharp as a C300.

It's big brother, the 1 DC (availible December 26th) has the slow mo you wish for + it's the best stills camera (DSLR) in the world.

I honestly don't know how people make these assumptions. I hate the image that comes out of the 1DX. It'd be fine if I was watching it at 720p on a 1280x1024 17" 4:3 monitor, but at 1080p in a 23" one it sucks. It's kinda like you recorded interlaced and then dropped one frame to make it progressive.
These crops come from a video made by Philip Bloom (who had nothing to do with how bad the image is in the 1DX, in fact I liked the video), where you can see intercut footage from the 1DX and the C300. The first one is nowhere near as sharp as the second one. (the GH2 crops are just for the sake of a kind of comparison)

https://sites.google.com/site/dddresource/_/rsrc/1356027346702/imgs/botones/1DX%20vs%20C300_Grid.png

And before you mention online compression as the culprit, feel free to download the original .vid file which shows you the same image and resolution, albeit with a little digitally added grain, all in the 1DX footage..

I honestly don't know how people make these assumptions. I hate the image that comes out of the 1DX. It'd be fine if I was watching it at 720p on a 1280x1024 17" 4:3 monitor, but at 1080p in a 23" one it sucks. It's kinda like you recorded interlaced and then dropped one frame to make it progressive.
These crops come from a video made by Philip Bloom (who had nothing to do with how bad the image is in the 1DX, in fact I liked the video), where you can see intercut footage from the 1DX and the C300. The first one is nowhere near as sharp as the second one. (the GH2 crops are just for the sake of a kind of comparison)

https://sites.google.com/site/dddresource/_/rsrc/1356027346702/imgs/botones/1DX%20vs%20C300_Grid.png

And before you mention online compression as the culprit, feel free to download the original .vid file which shows you the same image and resolution, albeit with a little digitally added grain, all in the 1DX footage..

it's all for nothing comparing the 1dx with the c300.  the thread is about the best full frame.  in which case, the 1dx is indeed one of the best.  Everyone and their grandma knows the c300 and gh2 will be sharper than the 1dx.

even a 1dc wont be a step up if full frame coverage in video mode is required because the full frame mode on the 1dc is the same as the video capture on the 1dx.  only when in s35 crop or aps-h 4k mode is the 1dc any better.

From what I see, the 1DX is marginally better than the 5dmk3.  Nothing else is comparable.  d800 had the edge with clean hdmi, but it is known that canon will release clean hdmi on it's 5dmk3 soon.   Nikon is for still photographers.  And unless they wake up soon they wont have any video market share.

it's all for nothing comparing the 1dx with the c300.  the thread is about the best full frame.  in which case, the 1dx is indeed one of the best.  Everyone and their grandma knows the c300 and gh2 will be sharper than the 1dx.

even a 1dc wont be a step up if full frame coverage in video mode is required because the full frame mode on the 1dc is the same as the video capture on the 1dx.  only when in s35 crop or aps-h 4k mode is the 1dc any better.

From what I see, the 1DX is marginally better than the 5dmk3.  Nothing else is comparable.  d800 had the edge with clean hdmi, but it is known that canon will release clean hdmi on it's 5dmk3 soon.   Nikon is for still photographers.  And unless they wake up soon they wont have any video market share.

That's fair, let's not compare the 1DX with the C300. But have you seen those stepped edges? That blocky grass? There's no fixing that in post unless you blur the hell out of it.
The 5D Mk III is better when shooting video (I'd love to see a comparison where I'm proven wrong). If you want to have that option in your toolset, that'd be the camera to choose. I for one prefer Nikon for stills, even though the noise performance in the Canon is better.

There's plenty of examples on-line that show the 1 DX is much sharper than 5D3. I'm not going to go searching for old Links, but I've seen it over the last 6 months.

Just Google for examples. I don't always like Phillip Bloom's boring "cat" videos (i've heard of 'Cat Women' but he's the first guy I've ever heard of obsessed with cats), but I cannot argue with his footage. Btw, it's not just sharper, the colors are different, the DR is different. The 'feel' of the video is wayyyyyy different.

Bloom's new videos from Africa with the 1 DX are AMAZING quality for a DSLR and blow the 5D3 out of the water! Have no idea what you're (or not) looking at. It's not even close. But if you feel that way, you just saved yourself 3K.

And speaking of the 1 DC, I saw that on a 65 foot big screen (Hurlbut's 'The Ticket'), and that blows the C300 out of the water in every way possible. Not even close. Again, this was not on Vimeo. It was in the biggest movie theatre in Hollywood. Flat out Awesome.

I'm only talking in terms of resolution. DR and colors might be different, but I can't understand how most people praise it so much.

Please, I urge you to take a closer look at the image I posted. It's as honest as it gets. And stand by my statement. I just searched for a comparison video, and while the 5D3 is a little bit softer it doesn't have the 1DX problems.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/943-canon-1dx-v-canon-5d3/

The 1DX has some sort of vertical stretch in the pixel level and something like an aliasing, or like the video was uprezzed with a box filter. It's evident here as it is in the rest of the 1DX videos in that topic, as well as in the Africa video Philip shot.

Look at the small details in the video I took the screenshots from. That specific shot is at 1:24.

https://vimeo.com/47426015

Oh great! Thanks for posting that thread. I totally forgot about that. Yeah, I'm of the opinion that the 1DX is not noticeably better then the 5Dmk3 to justify the price. Looks like it really is going to have to be the 5Dmk3 this time. It's really depressing that there isn't another full frame camera that can best it though. I mean, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus?... Nothing guys? Really? It's a shame.

Thanks for al the input guys!