Don't Got Anamorphic But Want That Sexy Style: Editing Tips?

technovideo

Ok,

Question #1:

So I really wanna get out and shoot. Are there any editing tips for Final Cut Pro that can give a nice anamorphic look to a 16:9 frame? Im shooting with 30mm f/1.4 Sigma on 600D Canon.

Question #2:

I will eventally buy somthing. And I'm a broke student. The Helios 44m 2/58 lens and a cheap anamorphic lens sounds perfect. Any suggestions on the cheapest Anamorphic lens that can fit the Helios?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT !

Peace

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i like using my canon fd 50mm/1.8 with my isco compact anamorphic. look around on ebay for some deals on anamorphics.

you could always crop the frame to get more of the 'widescreen' feel. i did that with a music video i shot where there was 2x anamorphic and regular 16x9 footage. i put a cinemascope (2.35:1) crop on the 16x9 footage so it wasn't so jarring when it cut to the super wide 3.55:1 with the anamorphic. there's a couple different ways of doing it. i just made a matte in photoshop and put that on a separate video track. but i'm using premier. using the 'crop' effect you have to use percentages, and it was too much maths for my liking

• 2 weeks later...

First off, letterbox to 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If you want to go even wider, 2.75:1 was used for Ben Hur and some other films. Plenty of people crop 16:9 footage to 2.35:1, so 2.75:1 might be one way to stand out a bit more. 

Second (and I have done this so I can vouch for it as working pretty good), cut yourself an oval aperture shaper and put it in front of your lens. it may take several tries to get the oval the right shape and size so that it both shapes your circle of confusion and so that it does not vignette your lens. 

If you want the flares, stretch a fat bit of fishing line vertically in front of your lens, just like the VidAtlantic filter. I've even had moderate success coloring the fishing line with Sharpie markers for different colored flares. Of course, the color range of green/blue/purple is the classic flare color for anamorphic, with blue being the most common for sure.

When you do get an anamorphic, save a bit extra and get a good one. I saved to get a Kowa 16-H, and even that lens has its limitations. If you are serious about getting a real anamorphic setup, buy Andrew's Anamorphic Guide first. It will save you from spending lots of money on the wrong lens.