Alexa, C500 and the BlackMagic

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well the C500 Doesn't compete. The Arri looks like it has a nice gamma curve setting and the BMC seems to have captured the same information without one. I bet there isn't much difference in grading between the Arri and BMC At least none that would make a difference although the Arri is better in low light.

C500 easily. Wow, that was amazing. 1,000 times better than the short film (both of them) I've seen from earlier tests with the C500. This looked much more like film. The shorts I saw earlier and the BMC look like Hi Def Video.

This was beautiful.

The ARRI is huge and heavy...the form factor with the C500 is almost perfect..(damn external rec)

The form factor and form factor alone.  

I cant see a situation where myself or 99% of the readers here would ever come into a situation where the performance of the c500 (or the c300 for that matter) isnt enough.   

Interesting. I'm sure you're right but for that matter most people here would be fine with a hacked GH2. ;-) To be honest though, if money was no object then I would definitely go with the Alexa just because I've always thought the image was amazballs.

For the Price though the C500 seems to be a little lacking in it's features compared to what else is in that price range. I think the C300 makes a little more sense for the price but (AFAIK) the C500 just adds 4K. When you can get a Scarlett and shoot 4K raw, the C500 doesn't really seem to be priced right. But like you said, it probably comes down to an issue of forum factor for a lot of people. Just saying, for the price, it would be nice if Canon could come out with a camera that shoots raw is all.

the c300 (or c500 if you need 4k) is not lacking features, but instead lacking gimmics.  all anyone really needs is 24p or 25p.  I'll admit, It would be nice if they did 50p full hd.  but the 50mbs 4:2;2 into card, with c-log in that form factor is my idea of bliss.  c300 is not much sharper than the hacked gh2 from what I have seen, but it has a proper sensor and amazingly clean high iso's meaning lighting is easier and cheaper.

c500 is too expensive.  but i think the c300 is bang on the money.  lovely little machine