Suggestions for Best Camera + Lens ~$1K

jsteg094

Hello,

I've spent weeks researching, and I've decided to turn to some aficionados.

First up, Camera: I've found that the GH2 is the best price/performance camera. Is this still true today, or are there better ones, such as the Olympus E-M5? Or, would it be best to wait -- do you think there will be anything extraordinary worth waiting for in the first few months of 2013?

Lastly, Lens: I've seen some people use old TV SD 2/3" Lenses, like B4 and C-Mount, etc. Are these worth it? I've heard that (for the most part), the IQ isn't very good, and there's a large amount of work (modifications) to get them to work.

Should I instead be looking at native lenses, like the Leica 25mm? Lots of people talk about anamorphic lenses, and the Voigtlander f/0.95. It seems like almost everyone raves about the Voigtlander, and while it seems expensive, is it truly worth it (price/performance) over say the Panny 20mm or even the Leica 25mm?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope this topic helps others as well!
-Josh

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You can get a GH2 for $500 at B&H right now and pick up some Canon FD lenses for a few hundred, which would be well under your $1,000 limit. There are other cheap options as well! It's great that you can mount anything to M43. Just see which lenses you like best. I started with a Canon FD 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. Great lenses and cheap as well. There really isn't a better deal right now.

You can get a GH2 for $500 at B&H right now and pick up some Canon FD lenses for a few hundred, which would be well under your $1,000 limit. There are other cheap options as well! It's great that you can mount anything to M43. Just see which lenses you like best. I started with a Canon FD 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4. Great lenses and cheap as well. There really isn't a better deal right now.

Agreed. A new $500 GH2, a $30 Canon FD to M43 adapter, and a set of three used Canon FD lenses (for instance, the basic cinema set: 35mm, 50mm, 85mm) can all be had for under $1000. In fact if you play your cards right on eBay, you might even be able to squeeze a used fluid head tripod out of your budget as well. Good luck!