Hands down best quality double-focus anamorphic?

redimp

Since my Rangefinder is on it's way I am thinking of maybe buying a double-focus high quality anamorphic lens. I've read Kowa B&H beats the iscos in terms of image quality and sharpness.

Are there any other lens that you personally consider hands down best double focus anamorphics? Want to shoot 50 mm 1.2 lens of FF wide open too. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can you use a kowa bell and howell on a 50mm taking lens on a Full frame sensor? I always thought you could?

No way.  70mm has a little vignetting already.  

Here is a ISCO HD attachment's sample image, original size is available there.  I think in terms of sharpness only, Schneider ES lens would beat Kowa too.  All these are excellent optics, but size matters.

ISCO_HD_EF100_1

You can get away with 58 - 65mm on Kowa B&H in FF when shooting ML raw 4:3 mode on Canon DSLR.

Ken is right about sharpness terms - the Schneider ES and Isco MC types are generally sharper than Kowa, but at the cost (to some) of a nicer vintage look. The multi-coating of the later anamorphic projection lenses such as these increases contrast and are less sensitive to flare.

Kowa has the edge on FF (IMHO) - as it has a more cinematic 'look'. It can go a bit wider on taking lens before vignette, Schneider ES cinelux and similar require 85mm + to be vignette free due to body length of lens.

Thanks for the info, almost bought a 50mm :) What EF lenses can you recommend then for full frame anamorphic? (how do you like the Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM?)

IMO, EF85 1.8 works fine and the widest basically, but EF100 f2 is better a little bit in all, except wide angle.

I am a die-hard Moeller fan... :heart_eyes:

For me nothing comes close in terms of sharpness, imagequality, color, flare. These are so versatile and wonderful built. They have so much character. Maybe the difference is they were made for filming and the 16mm version could work on FF like any Kowa. I would definately go for Moeller 16/32 with Rangefinder if I had the money. On the other way they are so easy to handle... you don't need a rangefinder

as Rudolf said, the bolex-moller anamorphot 16/32/1.5 will cover full frame, using the helios 44 58mm no problem, image is really good, sharp, color is great , and blue flares!, you can focus to 1mt I believe , (the little one 8/19/1.5 goes to 0.5m, but it will not cover full frame) without diopters. Awesome optics without breaking the bank!!:d 

Can you use a kowa bell and howell on a 50mm taking lens on a Full frame sensor? I always thought you could?

yes you can i have Kowa B&H and yashica 35mm with canon 5dmark 3 no problems

i went with Kowa B&H i find Schneider and Isco MC types to be way to sharp like video sharp kowa is sharp but not that video sharp has something to it. I am using 35mm yahsica 2.8 with bmpcc and no vigenting at all also on 60d and full frame 5dm3

I recently had a dramatic situation at my house where I had to grab the things that were most valuable to me. I grabbed a few hard drives and my Bolex Moller 8/19/1.5 ;o)

It pairs really well with my 50 Karl Zeiss Jena 1.8 as well as some old Nikon AI-S lenses. My brand new Rectilux is being tinkered with right now and I'm getting some good sharpness with this three lens combo. (See still). Although I've lost my close focus but I'll take that loss now that I can focus quickly.

IMG_3368.jpg

yes you can i have Kowa B&H and yashica 35mm with canon 5dmark 3 no problems

i went with Kowa B&H i find Schneider and Isco MC types to be way to sharp like video sharp kowa is sharp but not that video sharp has something to it. I am using 35mm yahsica 2.8 with bmpcc and no vigenting at all also on 60d and full frame 5dm3

Are you shooting RAW on the 5dMIII? As I am worried if I buy a 50mm and then use the bell and howell it will not work.. 

Are you shooting RAW on the 5dMIII? As I am worried if I buy a 50mm and then use the bell and howell it will not work.. 

i don't get it i shoot raw with bmpcc and before that i shoot raw with b5m3 why do you think it would be a problem?

Just buy a cheap ass helios 44-2 which is 58mm and is probably the widest you want to go. The 35mm enny is talking about are a mystery to me, I'd like to see some samples.

i dont shoot 35mm its to wide  i do 50mm and up but like i said i can do 35mm yashica full frame with kowa no vignetting there is only vignetting if i point to strong light source

I'll jump on the Kowa bandwagon too. It's capable of going the widest out of any 2x projection Ana. It's not obscenely large. It is plenty sharp, but doesn't look "Zeiss clinical" like modern Schneider/ISCO lenses. It flares nicely, but it reacts well to changing the "taking" lens. Want to change the look of your Kowa? Just change the taking lens! I've used a Mir-1b and it just about nails the "LOMO" look. 

In short, it's by far the best all-rounder/bang-for-your-buck lens (all flavors: 16-H, 8Z, Bell&Howell)