Zoom h1 and canon t2i question..

Str0be Films

hello everyone, well i just bought myself a zoom h1 and i had some questions about it, yes i do have magic lantern on my t2i with AGC off. What is the best settings for my zoom h1 since i make short films? 48/16 bit or 48 by 24? and i have a shoe mount for my zoom h1 but thing is is it better to hold it and aim at the person talking or is it better if i leave it on as a shot gun mic mounted to my camera? or place it somewhere where the character is talking?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The H1 does not work like a shotgun mic - it pics up a lot more ambient sound. If you are recording interviews or dialouge, especially in a noisy location, you will want it pretty close to the subject. If you were recording a performance or B roll then leaving it on the camera should be fine

so a rhodes mic would be better?

It depends on the situation. If you are plugging the rhode directly into the camera then no. It will pick up a ton of background noise. I use the H1 for interviews all the time - just get it close to the speaker and set the levels 

well i want a mic good for short films where people talk and have scrolls, i want a semi prp or pro sound

I'd say go with the H1, its very versatile. I recorded all of the interviews in this video, if you'd like a practical example of it. 

https://vimeo.com/54959895

Also recorded this on the H1 - its good for a little bit of everything 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_fyRXJ4W4