Feedback for our short film...

John Emery

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I would have intensified the last scene and left a few black seconds before credits and picked up the editing pace a bit, just me. 

It's great! Simply lovely and pulled me to watch it all the way through.

Image quality isn't the best but who cares? Looks great.

Sorry John, I didn't get this short. Who is this guy? If he's "the last man who lived on earth," how did he come to be that way? Or was it a metaphor? Why does he get excited with the simplest of things if this is the future we're talking about? Where did this girl suddenly come from in the end, not to mention the second robot? What is the underlying message of the short? I also got confused by the music, I'm not sure it jibed with your intent. Overall, a very strange short. But then, may be that's what makes you more creative than the rest. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do with this.

I think it was extremely well shot. Great locations. Great performances. Great wardrobe and make up. Very good props. Solid camera movement. 

Kinda creepy though. And didn't make sense. Maybe that's just a culture thing though. Overall well done. Way to make the most out your gear. 

Btw, loved the haze. That was my favorite thing. Would you share what you did there?

Hi guys!

Big thanks for all the feedback!! Good or bad, I trust you guys a lot!! 

I had some major problems on the way... limit was 10 minutes, so I had to cut out at least 3 minutes, so every second counted (that's why the ending is really rushed, and some things don't make sense). I had 48 hours to edit the final cut, and good old murphy's law... my premiere started to play up, so I had to start again at one point, losing around 12 hours on work... long story short, it was crazy, so I focused mainly on the emotional tone of the story, hoping that the viewers could fill in the gaps.

The gear I used was:

The 2 canon cameras (600d&700d) with cinestyle.

Sigma 18-35 f1.8, Canon 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8. All used at F1.8.

Shark slider (great slider, worth every penny), with manfrotto 502hd head.

Small Varavon T1 tilt jib.

40€ fog machine used in the scene at 3:34 and the last scene.

Aputure´s LED HR672W, and 1 H198C (all great little lights).

Thanks guys!!

Very well done. Whimsical and weird, but good hearted. My only real critique is you should have held on the close up of the warning on GinGer's back a little longer.

Any question about background is irrelevant to this story. Who cares why he is the last man on earth. Who cares why there's another girl and another gin robot... Now they can double date... The end credits may play well with a bunch of Polaroid snapshots of the them painting the town. Have the robots together. Have the new couple together. Kinda like the ending to Vacation. 

Good luck with it!!!

You guys are all so sweet. Maybe we need a separate critique section on EOSHD, where the focus is on improving and we don't need to hold back on what we really think. I've made a few shorts, and I fully understand how incredibly hard it is to put together anything. But IMO we do a disservice if we praise for encouragement's sake alone, even if we mean well. Obviously I don't know what you actually feel about this short, but some of the comments here can only be for encouragement. John, I hope you took my comments in the spirit of this post.

The contest was for a Gin company, the moral of this tale is that Gin brings people together and can cure the last man on earth of his loneliness. 

The short was shot well, the story was told well. What's not to like? Sure, maybe it can be a little tighter in spots, but all in all it is a successful piece. 

You guys are all so sweet. Maybe we need a separate critique section on EOSHD, where the focus is on improving and we don't need to hold back on what we really think. I've made a few shorts, and I fully understand how incredibly hard it is to put together anything. But IMO we do a disservice if we praise for encouragement's sake alone, even if we mean well. Obviously I don't know what you actually feel about this short, but some of the comments here can only be for encouragement. John, I hope you took my comments in the spirit of this post.

Totally... and it's more than welcome. But i've been around this forum long enough to know how things work here. Some people will always just give you the pat on the back, but I've seen good honest feedback on this forum... and I think that's mainly what I was getting. I think you were honest, and I also think the others were honest. Thanks for your feedback!