Panasonic Fz1000 and Samsung NX1 advice

manlio

Hi to everybody, I'm going to upgrade my gear (an old canon 600d with some EF-S lenses) and after reading a lot of reviews I'm still not sure what to buy and I'm here to ask you an advice.

I'm searching an hybrid camera (photo, video) system because I wanna shoot mainly videos but also I wanna catch good pictures.

My first choice was Samsung NX1 but I was also really impressed by Panasonic FZ1000 long zoom and macro capability. At the price of a lens I can buy a complete versatile camera with a not so small sensor.

I know they are different beasts, but do you thing this could be a good couple? I would like to use Samsung NX1 for wide angle and  portraits (with good bokeh) and FZ1000 for long zoom and macro shots.

Do you thing this could be a proper choice?

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you mercer for your reply, you are really helpful.

Just to start, I thought to buy samsung 85mm 1,4 for portraits (or samyang 85mm 1,4 to save some money). I'm still thinking about wide angle lens.

I thought a lot about GH4 but the smaller sensor is what leave me some doubts, expecially for what concerns stills and portraits. GH4 can do anything but the overall cost to reach some performance in stills seems too expensive for me (speedbooster + voightlander for example). 

Do you thing pairing FZ1000 is too hard with NX1? NX500 it is a really nice camera with same mount, but I also like the versatility of the Panasonic FZ1000.

I also thought just to buy the FZ1000 and the LX100 to take the best of the two, but for sure portraits are not at par of the NX1+85mm. :-)

Thank you.

I had LX100 before I bought NX1. It was hard to get colors look natural with the LX100 and I was forced to use different LUTs and other methods to cover up poor image quality. With NX1 colors are great straight from the camera and I actually don't even use LUTs anymore, becouse usually simple curves are enough to get material look amazing.

I don't know how much FZ1000 and LX100 are similar in image quality/colors, but I wouldn't mix LX100 material with NX1 material, becouse it would be really hard to get LX100's image look even close to how good NX1 image looks.

manilo, you can get focal reducers for a mere hundred bucks or so. (if you're going for Nikon F mount, rather than pricey Canon EF)
When it comes to stills performances, GH4 is more than capable for the typical non-pro. And for stills (as well as obviously video) it will be a step forward over your current 600D.

Hi Manilo,

Why don't you just buy a nx1 with a long zoom and a macro lens?

It depends on what you plan to use it for, but the 18-200 is a versatile lens, especially for video, even if the aperture is not fixed, then you can use the macro samsung lens or get a sigma or nikon 105mm macro with an adapter...

I personnally use sigma 18-35, 35 and 105 macro for 90% of my work for both stills and video when I don't need autofocus. I also have the small 45mm (+-70mm eq.) wich is a fantastic gem for its price. !

Thank you all. I think that colors and quality of LX100 and FZ1000 are comparable (LX100 should be a little better due to sensor size).

So probably I will get samsung nx1 equipment and try to forget the convenience of FZ1000 (or I will by FZ1000 as a separate vacation tool).

Thanks Frankie for your lens suggestions. Are you using sigma 18-35 and other lenses with Nikon mount and adapter right?

Thank you all. I think that colors and quality of LX100 and FZ1000 are comparable (LX100 should be a little better due to sensor size).

So probably I will get samsung nx1 equipment and try to forget the convenience of FZ1000 (or I will by FZ1000 as a separate vacation tool).

Thanks Frankie for your lens suggestions. Are you using sigma 18-35 and other lenses with Nikon mount and adapter right?

Yes... I use the novoflex . solid build and smooth ring

You can get a great lens setup if you can live without AF. I'm thinking of getting the NX1 and a Samsung wide for steadicam and seeing how AF does; but for everything else, I'm really happy with my Nikkor primes, some of them I've shot with for 15 years.

Favorites for a budget setup:

85mm 1.8 Af is gorgeous, under $300; Series E 100mm 2.8, under $100 and really really nice budget lens… 28mm AIS is legendary, under $300 and a great "normal" lens on APS-C/super 35. Add any version of the 50mm 1.8 for next to nothing and maybe a Rokinon wide if you need something in the 12-14mm range. I use the 28-70 2.8 often when I need a zoom for tight spaces or fast gigs, that's more in the $700 and up range though. And you can get an old beater push-pull 80-200 2.8 for a couple hundred these days - I skip it when I can use the 85 or 100, but for really long shots on APS-C, it's got a sexy look, but having rails and a lens support is mandatory. The 180mm 2.8 AF is also a superb lens and affordable if you really need a long lens and don't want to use the giant zoom. The 300mm F4 AF is a killer and usually well under a grand if you need to go crazy long, too.

At the end I bought the FZ1000 because I was really attracted by the flexibility and overall good quality (both photo and videos). I think the price/performance is really unbeatable and I need the long reach.

I will use it for some time so I will better understand what I really miss in my daily use (if I will miss something :)).

Thank you all for your precious support and advices.