NX to EF Adapter Recommendations

Calum MacPhail

Evening chaps and chapesses, just wonder if any of you have some recommended and confirmed working EF to NX adapters? 

Just picked up an NX1 as, after shooting for the past couple of years with my C100, I've been missing slow mo as a go to tool in my repertoire.

I'll be using manual lens on it, so I have no elaborate requirements.

Cheers,

Calum

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Stuck to the lens or the body?

I know a guy who's had to get his 5D fixed twice as fotodiox adopters have jammed on the body...

If I was to get a ef to nx adapter stuck on the body I could partly live with that, but don't want to get any of my glass trapped ha.

I bought Andrews guide earlier and I worked out the adapter he uses (even though it's difficult to see from the photo), so I'll give that a try.

I know a guy who's had to get his 5D fixed twice as fotodiox adopters have jammed on the body...

If I was to get a ef to nx adapter stuck on the body I could partly live with that, but don't want to get any of my glass trapped ha.

I bought Andrews guide earlier and I worked out the adapter he uses (even though it's difficult to see from the photo), so I'll give that a try.

It's stuck on the lens, not the body. Looks like others had a similar problem with the adapter, so I would be wary of any similar design (the Fotasy thing posted here looks the same). The FotodioX does have a tripod mount though, quite useful if you have a heavy lens.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Using the FotodioX one and working perfectly, it came with the camera. The flange distance is 100% accurately calibrated (which is the one thing I check and fear for in adapters). I keep it on the body and all my EF lenses fit just as smoothly as on actual Canon mounts. No way to get stuck to body/lens. I just did a torture test of endless repeated de-mounting/mounting/twisting/hitting/lockingbuttons and no issues.

Cheap, robust, works. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995046-REG/fotodiox_eos_nx_samsung_nx_camera_lens.html

All the other customer reviews agree it works too. 

Perhaps there are rare lemons, 

Using the FotodioX one and working perfectly, it came with the camera. The flange distance is 100% accurately calibrated (which is the one thing I check and fear for in adapters). I keep it on the body and all my EF lenses fit just as smoothly as on actual Canon mounts. No way to get stuck to body/lens. I just did a torture test of endless repeated de-mounting/mounting/twisting/hitting/lockingbuttons and no issues.

Cheap, robust, works. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995046-REG/fotodiox_eos_nx_samsung_nx_camera_lens.html

All the other customer reviews agree it works too. 

Perhaps there are rare lemons, 

OK, how do you take off the lens? Just push the little button and turn the lens or something else? The button doesn't seem to have any play, and there is manual I can find. It did come out once long ago, but I just can't get it off anymore. And there are others who find it hard to remove, I'm not the only one, so you can't dismiss mine as just a "rare lemon."

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

@Sekhar The adapter has the same Canon EF lock system, which is a very small metal pin that inserts into a corresponding hole on the lens, therefore making it impossible to turn the lens/remove it. The pin is positioned on a spring lever, when you press the release button, the pin retracts down away from the lens hole, so you can freely turn the lens as long as it's pressed down. 

Slide/press the button/lever towards the camera body, removing the mount pin and allowing lens turning/removal. Press it in the direction you press on an actual Canon body mount button. (the same direction as if you were pushing the pin itself from the lens hole)

This little boy over here:

1377117107000_IMG_333553.thumb.jpg.387ee

According to your complaint the obvious diagnosis is a stuck button/lever with the pin inside the lens making it attached. If that's the case and the button is just completely fixed/stuck, send it to Fotodiox for a replacement. (they sent me 2 replacements before with one issue). I would've advised opening it up DIY style to get the pin out but I don't see any screws to get in when a lens is mounted on. 

Man, EF mount adaptor is risky business. I'm also placing an order for the NX1 this week (I'm a recent convert over the Sony A7S I/II). And I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Konica Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO Lens for video.

Also, the available mounts seem to be Fotasy and Rainbowimaging. Any good/bad words for either?

Slide/press the button/lever towards the camera body

Thanks a lot, Ebrahim, that released it! I was pushing the pin inward rather than slide it away from the lens. So, the adapter works just fine, it was user error...sorry everyone for the false alarm. I change my vote to recommended as I've had no other issues with the adapter. Except of course for lack of aperture control, which some other adapters have, though I believe it might result in vignetting when you go wide.

One MAJOR issue I have with the adapter approach in general is that I'm not getting any focus peaking in EVF with video. I know it's possible when using the LCD (you need to click on the little icon that appears on the screen), but I don't know of a way to get it with the EVF. Does anyone know a way? Focus peaking is invaluable for me (and I'm sure many others) as I generally shoot with manual focus, and I'm able to use it only with my Samsung 16-50. I really wish somebody produces a smart adapter that supports this and AF.

BTW, Ebrahim, why did you have two replacements for the adapter? What problems did you have? I'm wondering if there are QA issues with the FotodioX that OP and other buyers need to be aware of.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thanks a lot, Ebrahim, that released it! I was pushing the pin inward rather than slide it away from the lens. So, the adapter works just fine, it was user error...sorry everyone for the false alarm. I change my vote to recommended as I've had no other issues with the adapter. Except of course for lack of aperture control, which some other adapters have, though I believe it might result in vignetting when you go wide.

One MAJOR issue I have with the adapter approach in general is that I'm not getting any focus peaking in EVF with video. I know it's possible when using the LCD (you need to click on the little icon that appears on the screen), but I don't know of a way to get it with the EVF. Does anyone know a way? Focus peaking is invaluable for me (and I'm sure many others) as I generally shoot with manual focus, and I'm able to use it only with my Samsung 16-50. I really wish somebody produces a smart adapter that supports this and AF.

BTW, Ebrahim, why did you have two replacements for the adapter? What problems did you have? I'm wondering if there are QA issues with the FotodioX that OP and other buyers need to be aware of.

The way to push the button is a bit tricky, they should have drawn a little arrow and an unlock symbol under it. I kept pushing it too the first couple of times. It's a great adapter anyway with no issues whatsoever. Highly recommended. 

BTW they make one with a built in iris assembly, anyone knows the downsides of that? could be a great solution to control iris.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1146821-REG/fotodiox_eosa_nx_apt_declk_pro_lens_adapter_with.html/prm/alsVwDtl

The return issues were with another product, their absolutely useless Excell speedbooster. I thought mine was broken given how soft it was, so replaced, the same, then knew it's what it is, only sharp beyond f/8 (really?). So it wasn't a QC issue but a whole design failure of a product. I advice they keep away from the glass making and stay in mechanics!

The way to push the button is a bit tricky, they should have drawn a little arrow and an unlock symbol under it. I kept pushing it too the first couple of times. It's a great adapter anyway with no issues whatsoever. Highly recommended. 

BTW they make one with a built in iris assembly, anyone knows the downsides of that? could be a great solution to control iris.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1146821-REG/fotodiox_eosa_nx_apt_declk_pro_lens_adapter_with.html/prm/alsVwDtl

The return issues were with another product, their absolutely useless Excell speedbooster. I thought mine was broken given how soft it was, so replaced, the same, then knew it's what it is, only sharp beyond f/8 (really?). So it wasn't a QC issue but a whole design failure of a product. I advice they keep away from the glass making and stay in mechanics!

I've heard really bad things about those artificial apertures, ranging from poor bokeh to vignetting.  Haven't tried one myself however, but I could see how that wouldn't perform to the same ability as the lenses actual iris.

I have one. It fits fine on the NX mount, but is super tight on the EF side. One of my lenses won't even lock properly on it because of the extremely tight fit.

Getting stuck on the lens is easy to imagine with it, at least the one I have.

I've heard really bad things about those artificial apertures, ranging from poor bokeh to vignetting.  Haven't tried one myself however, but I could see how that wouldn't perform to the same ability as the lenses actual iris.

The problem with those is that you have an iris outside of the appropriate position in the optical path, and that can result in viginetting and other optical issues.

If the iris is in the correct place in the lens assembly it will adjust the amount of light falling on the sensor, but if it is too close it will cut off the edges of the image circle - not what you want!

While looking through the EFV, (1) press "left" to exit video preview (if in it); (2) press "OK" to magnify (this will show peaking, if activated); (3) press "left" to reenter video preview mode once focus has been set.

Requires some fingerwork, but not too difficult with a bit of practice since the two keys are right next each other.

While looking through the EFV, (1) press "left" to exit video preview (if in it); (2) press "OK" to magnify (this will show peaking, if activated); (3) press "left" to reenter video preview mode once focus has been set.

Requires some fingerwork, but not too difficult with a bit of practice since the two keys are right next each other.

Thanks, that's what I'm doing now, but it's of limited use. In fact, if you're focusing in stills mode, you don't even need peaking since you zoom in quite nicely, making it really easy to focus just by looking. What would be great is a way to focus while in video mode as people (and you) move and need continuous focusing. The 16-50 does a fantastic job for that with MF, but I'm not aware of a way to do it with adapters. The weird thing is: you CAN do it (peaking in video with adapter) on the LCD, just not in the EVF. I wonder why Samsung limited it that way, may be they'll add that in a future update.