jacoblewis

NX1 wins at the DPReview Awards 2015

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

speaking of the 16-50S, ever since the last firmware (both lens and body), my lens will only go to f/2.5 instead of f/2 like before. Anyone else have this?

Samsung support consisted of them telling me to turn it off and turn it back on again, which is a joke in all instances.

Yeah... Samsung didn't win any awards for customer service.  I had a similar experience, where I misplaced the compartment that holds my battery and slides into the vertical grip attachment for the NX1 (which is a dumb design, by the way).  I was hoping to buy that part individually, rather than having to replace the entire vertical grip. Samsung customer service insisted that my problem was not user-serviceable and that I needed to send in not only the vertical grip, but also my NX1 for repair. I don't think they understood my situation... even with pictures to help them out.

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

I ended up just buying a new battery grip.  So silly.

yeah, it was at 16mm

It's working fine for me (goes down to 2.0). But I've run into random errors with NX1 on occasion, mostly when I change the batteries and vertical grip without turning off the camera. I suggest taking out the batteries and restarting, that has resolved problems for me before.

I agree about poor Samsung support quality, though I've had terrible experience with others like Dell and Adobe too. If you find someone is being clueless, I suggest thanking and calling again, you may get a more informed person next time.

so I came home, turned on the camera and it wouldn't go past f/2.8 at 16mm. When I used the iFunction button it shows a dash alongside each aperture. Well at the very top of the list (above 2.8) are two dashes with no number beside them. So I turned off the camera and pulled the battery, waited 10 secs (old school router reset paranoia), put it back in and powered up. No change. Then I went to iFunction again and just started toggling the wheel up and down the list. After about 5 secs f2.5 comes up out of nowhere but still no f/2. I'm going to redo the firmware, hopefully that'll do something.

Somehow this topic went from celebrating the Samsung NX1's achievements to criticizing it. 

It was short-lived.  But hey, they've got something to build on... right?

I love my NX1. Best purchase I could have made and would recommend it wholeheartedly. But if I could have f/2 back it'd be nice. More of a temporary problem than a criticism.

1st place: Best High-End Crop-Sensor

1st place: Best Lens (Samsung NX 16-50 f/2.0-2.8 ED OIS)

1st place: Innovation award

2nd place: Product of the year 

Here's the link: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9206637562/dpreview-products-of-the-year

Well deserved. I've been quite convinced of this camera over the Sony A7S II in the past few weeks after looking at all the NX 1 footages.

I feel like Samsung didn't get nearly as much credit as they deserved after releasing the 1.3 firmware.  They released a firmware update that made the FHD stuff look 10x better than before! Has any other camera company ever released a firmware update that was this big of a leap in image quality!? The FHD stuff looks great now! There's still small signs of aliasing and moire, but 1080p60 and even 1080p120 stuff looks incredible when considering it's a $1300 body. 

People feel they're going out on a limb if they praise a new kid on the block like Samsung, it's so much safer to foam over Canon colors. You'll nee to be secure and confident to publicly acknowledge NX1's abilities. Not only is NX1 is a triumph of technology, it's also pioneering and game changing in more ways than one: H.265 and rapid firmware updates, to name a couple.

I feel like Samsung didn't get nearly as much credit as they deserved after releasing the 1.3 firmware.  They released a firmware update that made the FHD stuff look 10x better than before! Has any other camera company ever released a firmware update that was this big of a leap in image quality!? 

Definitely. And I'm sure the best is still yet to come.

Imo samsung nx1 is better overall than sony mk2. The former has faster shooting, smaller lenses and is incredibly cheaper (2.5-3xx, much more when accounting lenses). The latter has one stop better iq and ibis. Nothing more than this.

Except for Slog, FF, Zeiss lenses, better AF (I've owned them both), speedboosters and AF adapters for other lenses, AF with Canon and A-mount glass, third party lenses, and so on. Not much of a difference...

SMH

Except for Slog, FF, Zeiss lenses, better AF (I've owned them both), speedboosters and AF adapters for other lenses, AF with Canon and A-mount glass, third party lenses, and so on. Not much of a difference...

SMH

Warning: I'm procrastinating on a project... so I'm sort of in a bad mood and this is a bit of a defensive rant, like a father protecting his son or something overly emotional like that.  Sorry in advance :)

1) The overall image quality of the NX1 is far superior to the video on the A7R II. No aliasing or moire, much more detail and better highlight rolloff.  Also, my NX1 doesn't start to melt after 7 minutes or recording. Apart from that, in my opinion, S-LOG on a DSLR isn't a priority. It's super hard to get the grade right, unless you're a professional colorist. And if you have the budget to hire a professional colorist, why are you shooting on the A7R II and not a proper camera like the Alexa or the Amira? (The only exception I can think of is if you need a more nimble camera for drone or portable use. Then having LOG would help a professional colorist grade the camera to match their A-camera more accurately.) Colors straight out of the NX1 look great. If you're not a professional colorist, good luck getting your S-LOG skin tones to look right. 

2) I don't get why you're saying Full-Frame is better.  Canon C300 is S35. Sony F55 is S35. Alexa / Amira is S35.  Are you saying A7R II is better than those because it's FF?

3) You can mount PL glass on the NX1.  You can mount all of the new Zeiss Milvus ZF lenses on the NX1. You can mount pretty much anything you want on the NX1, unless you're looking for an electronic connection for EF lenses (though, they make manual aperture adaptors for EF glass). Novoflex makes a plethora of incredible adapters for the NX mount

4) I've had an extremely different experience shooting AF on Sony vs. Samsung.  In stills, using my 16-50 ED OIS f/2.0-2.8 lens... Samsung is amongst the fastest AF I've ever used. After all, this lens did win zoom lens of the year. And if we're talking AF while in video mode... not even Canon's Dual Pixel AF holds a candle to the AF capabilities of the NX1.  Sony is leagues beneath both of Canon and Samsung in AF video. 

5) I do miss my Speedboosters. Loved that extra stop of light.  Though, I used them on M4/3 to get a S35 look.  Now that I have an APS-C sensor, I don't need it. It would be nice to have a Speedbooster for the occasional FF-look though.

6) What 3rd party lenses are you missing? Novoflex - Adapters for Samsung NX