FS: (Maybe) 1DC w/ 3 batteries + charger + cards

austinchimp

I'm sadly thinking about selling my Canon 1DC with two Canon batteries and 1 after-market battery and 2 memory cards for offers over £4300 in the UK, maybe to Europe. I f*cking love it but it was a big expenditure for me and some of the projects I was planning to use it on aren't going to happen now due to changing circumstances. As it's a crime to sit on this camera without using it I thought I'd see if anyone else can take it who'd use it the way it deserves.

If anyone's interested get in touch. I can take pictures and answer any questions. I only had time to snap off a quick photo of the shutter actuations page this morning before work - only decided to put it up here today.

Serious enquiries only please, and I can't really drop the price without going into a loss from what I paid for it recently.

<28,000 actuations on the camera. It was purchased second hand and shows signs of wear but the thing is built like an absolute tank so it's in good condition. Colour in 4k C-Log mode absolutely destroys pretty much any other camera I've ever used, including Red Dragon and my Sony A7s. It's absolutely the best 4k and still combo there is, there's something really special about this camera and even though I haven't had it that long I have a real emotional attachment to it.

I don't have the original box so it's just camera, 3 batteries (which are very expensive) with original Canon charger. And 2 fast CF cards - 128gb and 64gb Komputer Bay cards which I've tested and are very reliable with this camera. Add a lens and you're ready to shoot.

If I don't sell it I won't mind keeping it, don't really want to put it on Ebay so trying here to see if there's any interest. Paypal preferred method of payment for all-round safety and peace of mind.

IMAG0048.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sorry, didn't mean to spam the forum. Delete this post if necessary.

I agree that there's nothing quite like it, and the picture quality is likely to be up there for the next few years at least. Canon aren't likely to make another DSLR form camera with 4k that rivals this as that would cause big problems for their cinema line. So if you want professional-level 4k and best-in-class stills capability and that bang-on Canon colour then this is your only option. Not that this is a sale pitch or anything... 

Canon aren't likely to make another DSLR form camera with 4k that rivals this as that would cause big problems for their cinema line.

- Going by the CanonRumors link, it sounds like they may indeed have some kind of 4k up their sleeve in a similar dslr (1D*) form factor. And if they do, I could easily see them crippling it in the same way they did with the 1DC so as not to affect the other C line cameras.

- Going by the CanonRumors link, it sounds like they may indeed have some kind of 4k up their sleeve in a similar dslr (1D*) form factor. And if they do, I could easily see them crippling it in the same way they did with the 1DC so as not to affect the other C line cameras.

Yes I can't imagine that Canon wouldn't cripple any new 4k DSLR quite heavily given their deeply conservative approach to market segmenting.

Looking at how the 1DC seems to have been largely ignored by Canon's marketing teams, it's prohibitively high price at launch, and firmware that was left undeveloped and missing key video features - it doesn't seem that they knew what to do with the camera. So will they now release a capable, high quality cinema machine at a price which threatens their existing Cinema line? Hard to see that happening. The 1DC seems to have been a one-off.

I think it's more likely that if Canon release a 4k 1DX it will be heavily crippled in bit rate/codec, missing in features such as peaking and C-Log, or priced so high that it's not a threat to the C300II. And therefore not an advance on the 1DC.

Looking at how the 1DC seems to have been largely ignored by Canon's marketing teams, it's prohibitively high price at launch, and firmware that was left undeveloped and missing key video features - it doesn't seem that they knew what to do with the camera.

- I think they knew exactly what they were doing at this point. But they sure didn't when then they put video in the 5DM2 back in 2008.

I think it's more likely that if Canon release a 4k 1DX it will be heavily crippled in bit rate/codec, missing in features such as peaking and C-Log, or priced so high that it's not a threat to the C300II. And therefore not an advance on the 1DC.

- Can be. But again, only God knows.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

if either of you guys want to trade for an rx10ii let me know ? it comes with questionable batteries and memory cards ?

and i will bake u cookies :blush:

90436845-woman-hold-tray-of-fresh-baked-

I'll pay an A7s, GH4, D7100, D5300, 60D, 600D, 1100D, and a Ninja blade, oh and an HDMI cable. Can't bake cookies unfortunately. 

Aside from joking, this is a great buy, 1DCs are SO rare these days as owners seem to hold on to them more than any other DSLR ever made.

I'd take yours in a heartbeat if I lived in a country where I won't pay an extra 256% just to get it in. 1DXII? It will never have the 1DC power in terms of a 500mbps 4:2:2 codec C-log and full 4K DCI, it'll just be a vastly better stills camera with lower-end 4K video, seeing the 1DC is staying for a while at 8000$. It will most likely have a 4:2:0 8bit 100-ish mbps 3840x2160 and no S35 crop, C-log is also questionable. The feature 4K alone is very wide for interpretation from 5 minute rx100IV 4K to 1DC 4K.

I wouldn't worry about it. Plus I'd give it 6 months minimum for announcement, not to mention release, at that time you will have paid the 1DC off. Sorry to derail a sale topic just weighing in on the 1DXII. Good luck with the sale.

Sorry to derail a sale topic just weighing in on the 1DXII. Good luck with the sale.

Haha I'm not sure it's much of a sale topic any more - I'm still quite fond of keeping it! The only reason I'd want to let it go is because I'm not sure I'll get the money's worth out of it with the kind of projects I've got coming up, and if I did sell it I'd probably downgrade to a A7RII instead just to have something decent and 4k capable. 

I know I'd miss it if I let it go. It's strange how you can get attached to certain pieces of technology and not to others. There's something old-school and heavyweight about the build of it and the feel in the hand, as well as the picture it creates which is very satisfying. Kind of how Ed David talks about the Sony F35. You feel like you could take it to a war zone and back and it wouldn't let you down. Not sure I feel the same about any of the Sony mirrorless cameras, despite my fondness for my A7s.

I turned 42 two weeks ago.  My wife turns 39 in November. 
We have two kids; ages 6 and 9.  1st and 4th grade.

My wife came home today early from work and revealed that she's pregnant.  While I love kids the thought of being this old and starting over with an unplanned pregnancy scares the living shit out of both of us.

So I will probably unload my 1dc / 70-200 II / 300 2.8 IS / 135 L / 85 1.8 / 16-35 F/4 / 24-70 F/4 / 50 1.2 and the 2 256 GB cards / 2 128GB cards very soon.

I am stunned, nervous, happy, sad, all at once.  Sigh.

Yes I can't imagine that Canon wouldn't cripple any new 4k DSLR quite heavily given their deeply conservative approach to market segmenting.

Looking at how the 1DC seems to have been largely ignored by Canon's marketing teams, it's prohibitively high price at launch, and firmware that was left undeveloped and missing key video features - it doesn't seem that they knew what to do with the camera. So will they now release a capable, high quality cinema machine at a price which threatens their existing Cinema line? Hard to see that happening. The 1DC seems to have been a one-off.

Good luck on the sale! Great deal.

I'll pay an A7s, GH4, D7100, D5300, 60D, 600D, 1100D, and a Ninja blade, oh and an HDMI cable. Can't bake cookies unfortunately. 
Aside from joking, this is a great buy, 1DCs are SO rare these days as owners seem to hold on to them more than any other DSLR ever made.

I'd take yours in a heartbeat if I lived in a country where I won't pay an extra 256% just to get it in. 1DXII? It will never have the 1DC power in terms of a 500mbps 4:2:2 codec C-log and full 4K DCI, it'll just be a vastly better stills camera with lower-end 4K video, seeing the 1DC is staying for a while at 8000$. It will most likely have a 4:2:0 8bit 100-ish mbps 3840x2160 and no S35 crop, C-log is also questionable. The feature 4K alone is very wide for interpretation from 5 minute rx100IV 4K to 1DC 4K.

I wouldn't worry about it. Plus I'd give it 6 months minimum for announcement, not to mention release, at that time you will have paid the 1DC off. Sorry to derail a sale topic just weighing in on the 1DXII. Good luck with the sale.

Ebrahim, the 1D X ii may surprise you! It's been over 3 years since the original version. We already know that Canon forgot they created the 1D C (I do agree about the 500 Mbps and 422).

Although if the 1D X ii comes with peaking, zebra, and crop marks I think we should sue Canon!!?

My wife came home today early from work and revealed that she's pregnant.  While I love kids the thought of being this old and starting over with an unplanned pregnancy scares the living shit out of both of us.

So I will probably unload my 1dc / 70-200 II / 300 2.8 IS / 135 L / 85 1.8 / 16-35 F/4 / 24-70 F/4 / 50 1.2 and the 2 256 GB cards / 2 128GB cards very soon.

Shield3, Congrats on your (new) family! 

PS: Great set of equipment there, hopefully you won't have to sell.

Good luck with everything!

Hey Shield, I feel for you man. It seems nothing is easy. I'm a few years beyond you and facing a divorce because I've chosen to continue chasing my dreams with a camera and she is younger and wants kids.

Who would have thought this thread would turn into a therapy session? Hang in there amigo;)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

In my culture we say, It's not financial bless that brings children, but the other way around.

In the larger picture, bringing a complete healthy human being carrying your genes/legacy from darkness into existence is far more important and rewarding than holding on to some replaceable worldly possessions gear. And, 40 is not old. Youth starts at 60. 

Man that 1Dc has strange powers of shifting topics!

The last 1DC topic turned into a fierce debate on the quality of freedom of expression in the USA vs. Europe. No jokes. :d 

Man that 1Dc has strange powers of shifting topics!

The last 1DC topic turned into a fierce debate on the quality of freedom of expression in the USA vs. Europe. No jokes. :d 

Ah it's part of the magic of the camera. While A7Rii and NX1 topics are arguing about specs and pixel peeping the 1DC inspires conversations about life and mortality.. :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Ebrahim.  Not 40.  42.  Meaning I will be near 61 when the child graduates high school.  I have no idea what we're going to do.

If you don't know two users use this profile a 21 year-old (my nephew/son - the previous commenter) and me, a 63 year-old. We share an account on most sites as we have the same name/mind/interests so better than bloating up boards with double accounts, and I don't use the internet or comment much but I thought this is one thing I should weigh in as I am experience you could find helpful.

You're at the peak of your life in the early 40s, I have no idea why you see yourself an old man. You can still have as much as you've lived, even more, no one knows.

At 63, I have a son just getting into college majoring Biochemistry science (the same situation you're afraid of, being 60 with a child just graduating highschool/going to vollege) a gorgeous daughter studying Art, and one just made me proud and graduated as a surgeon with honors (ebrahim), I have my health, business, hobbies, and plan to be a father for as long as he's married with beautiful grand-children. I see myself in him, and if I look back on my entire life of international medical success/degrees, employing 300 in a high-end radiology establishment, and directing feature films that defined a transitional era of Egyptian Cinema, there's absolutely nothing in these that compares even slightly to the achievement I made creating these fully grown miracles of life, and If I had to trade all of it for him I would choose him over all without a moment of thought.  In our long lives what's more joyful than being a father watching him/her grow & mentoring his/her little mind of your own? 

If you were still in the phase of deciding whether to have a child, it's healthy and beneficial to argue both sides, but when it's done, arguing it is called regret, something no human should ever think about, because (as of now), time machines haven't been invented for regret to be of any value. So only think of forward solutions, nothing but.

Embrace your new blessing with a joyful face even if not coming from inside as of now yet, but just for your woman who'll be carrying/suffering whilst seeing you sad on top of it, imagine that. It happened, it's a blessing, smile, celebrate together, and plan to work harder in your career, keep your gear and start a larger video/production company, expand, take more small gigs, teach, invest in business markets (real estate/stock), anything, absolutely anything makes money, open a grocery store, you get my point!

Work harder and enjoy the process and in a few months you'll wonder how you ever felt bad receiving this news, trust me.

Just as a physician, I urge you to deeply care for your wife's health with extreme follow up with a trusted medical facility, 39 pregnancy needs care and utmost attention to health, most importantly physically but also to a degree psychologically. Don't treat it the same way you did having you first two cuties. You don't want to compromise her health for feeling down.

Now carry on discussing the Canon, sorry to derail, but at least it's not a derail into freedom of expression laws or communism vs capitalism as I've seen here on EOSHD! Business decisions (gear/video) and family go hand in hand. 

Ah it's part of the magic of the camera. While A7Rii and NX1 topics are arguing about specs and pixel peeping the 1DC inspires conversations about life and mortality.. :)

Couldn't have put it better :d Gave me a great laugh

Who cares about the numerical resolving power of Bayer imaging chips with the de-Bayering algorithmic physics of sub-pixel particles?! :d Images are an emotional attachment and throughout life there are film stocks/sensors that I like and other that I don't, simple as that. Very, very simple. I shoot a scene and look at the image, done. Like it, don't like it.

Warm filmic Canon SLRs image I like, yellow A7s image I don't, digital GH4 I don't, fuji-stock-replica blackmagic pocket image I adore, etc, 

I don't need specs or other forum members to tell me what I like, just myself... Only you can decide so don't let companies decide it for you, and definitely not forum members, it's a bad idea that results in people struggling with images they're not attached with wasting time fixing endlessly.

I think the OP will hold on to his 1DC after all this praise by commenters! Good luck. 

Thanks much for the well thought out response.   Obviously once she gets further along if we decide to go that route she'd have all the care her physician requires - I have some health issues myself and have gotten promoted so far into work that I have 58 people reporting to me.  The daily grind of being the focal point adds quite a bit of stress already to the two I have - I will support whatever decision my wife makes.  I have done some side paid video work but it's just not something I want to turn into a business.  Too much work for not enough money...:)

Part of the decision process is we don't have any time away from our 2 sweethearts already - her parents / sister are 2 hours away and my Mom has been gone since 2003 - if we had a better system in place it might make more sense.  Don't get me wrong; this decision will not be made lightly either way.

Shawn

• 9 months later...
On 8. 10. 2015 at 9:15 PM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

If you don't know two users use this profile a 21 year-old (my nephew/son - the previous commenter) and me, a 63 year-old. We share an account on most sites as we have the same name/mind/interests so better than bloating up boards with double accounts, and I don't use the internet or comment much but I thought this is one thing I should weigh in as I am experience you could find helpful.

You're at the peak of your life in the early 40s, I have no idea why you see yourself an old man. You can still have as much as you've lived, even more, no one knows.

At 63, I have a son just getting into college majoring Biochemistry science (the same situation you're afraid of, being 60 with a child just graduating highschool/going to vollege) a gorgeous daughter studying Art, and one just made me proud and graduated as a surgeon with honors (ebrahim), I have my health, business, hobbies, and plan to be a father for as long as he's married with beautiful grand-children. I see myself in him, and if I look back on my entire life of international medical success/degrees, employing 300 in a high-end radiology establishment, and directing feature films that defined a transitional era of Egyptian Cinema, there's absolutely nothing in these that compares even slightly to the achievement I made creating these fully grown miracles of life, and If I had to trade all of it for him I would choose him over all without a moment of thought.  In our long lives what's more joyful than being a father watching him/her grow & mentoring his/her little mind of your own? 

If you were still in the phase of deciding whether to have a child, it's healthy and beneficial to argue both sides, but when it's done, arguing it is called regret, something no human should ever think about, because (as of now), time machines haven't been invented for regret to be of any value. So only think of forward solutions, nothing but.

Embrace your new blessing with a joyful face even if not coming from inside as of now yet, but just for your woman who'll be carrying/suffering whilst seeing you sad on top of it, imagine that. It happened, it's a blessing, smile, celebrate together, and plan to work harder in your career, keep your gear and start a larger video/production company, expand, take more small gigs, teach, invest in business markets (real estate/stock), anything, absolutely anything makes money, open a grocery store, you get my point!

Work harder and enjoy the process and in a few months you'll wonder how you ever felt bad receiving this news, trust me.

Just as a physician, I urge you to deeply care for your wife's health with extreme follow up with a trusted medical facility, 39 pregnancy needs care and utmost attention to health, most importantly physically but also to a degree psychologically. Don't treat it the same way you did having you first two cuties. You don't want to compromise her health for feeling down.

Kudos.