Test Grading Fuji Eterna 8673 - Give me your opinion ;)

Wild Ranger

Hi everyone. I have uploaded a test sequence with shots from a indie feature I´m doing. We Shot a small scene with film because we wanted a really particular look for this par in the movie, more vintage, like memories from childhood. Se we shot on a SRII super 16mm Fuji Eterna 8673 stock. Then scanned on an Arri scanner.

I never color graded film. So wanted to hear some opinions about.

If any one have questions, please be my guest ;) 

PASSWORD: fuji test

Also, i wanted to share the raw clip for anyone who want to give it a try. Remember its film log. compressed in DnxHd

https://mega.nz/#!hFh1hAyA!b0mxVAk1KtjL7guXYcRExBEcdTAVinaTLfMIQq5k-24 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Footage looks very nice- well done. You didn't consider super 8 for the nostalgic "memories from childhood" look? 

Well, Shooting in film was a decision of the DP, we already could get the SRII camera and equipment, film development and scan for free. All we nedded was to buy the stock. Super 8 never cross my mind, although it could look nice, it was going to be much lower quality.

Well, Shooting in film was a decision of the DP, we already could get the SRII camera and equipment, film development and scan for free. All we nedded was to buy the stock. Super 8 never cross my mind, although it could look nice, it was going to be much lower quality.

Nonsense! Shoot Vision3 50d with a good camera (Leicina Special or the new Logmar) and you end up with something looking very (very!) close to S16

Nonsense! Shoot Vision3 50d with a good camera (Leicina Special or the new Logmar) and you end up with something looking very (very!) close to S16

I know Kodak has some really different tone that i like, but there was very low supply of film stock and Eterna was the only available at the moment. I still love Fuji look :)

It's funny those conversations of "film high quality" when most of what film offers are defects. Lovely defects though!!! It looks great, your actors are very good and it brought memories of my own childhood!!!

Now a new thread is necessary: what do you have in your fridge?? ;-DD

Film offers a lot of advantages. For example the motion looks a lot better than on digital cameras, just download the original clip and see how "shitty handheld" can look not disturbing but pleasing.

Film offers a lot of advantages. For example the motion looks a lot better than on digital cameras, just download the original clip and see how "shitty handheld" can look not disturbing but pleasing.

It's funny those conversations of "film high quality" when most of what film offers are defects. Lovely defects though!!! It looks great, your actors are very good and it brought memories of my own childhood!!!

Now a new thread is necessary: what do you have in your fridge?? ;-DD

Yes, film still have a lot of advantages in IQ. This footage is a little deteriorated because the way it was developed, its pushed a little bit. Also the film cans have technically expired for they normal use.

The most noticeable advantage i notice was dynamic range, if yo try grade it, you will see a huge difference between highlight and shadow, that was the thing that most impressed me. Motion cadence its nice, The "shitty handheld" look was in purpose indeed, the image needed more "spark".