iPhone 6S beats D750 for video

wolf33d

"Anyone who sets out to shoot a film on an iPhone rather than a proper camera is simply doing it because they are either very silly or want to attract publicity for their film. Proper cameras that shoot wonderful video are so bloody cheap these days, there is no excuse. Shooting video properly with an iPhone is a right pain in the bum." 

by Philip Bloom

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

100% shot on iPhone 6S in 4K, by P Bloom. 

And looks like it, because of nasty auto-exposure shifts (Filmic Pro app would help get rid of these) because every single shot is a wide angle, and the only ones with shallow DOF are thus wide-angle close ups.

Imagine trying to separate an actor from a busy background, you'd have to put the camera next to their nose! Very flattering...

It's a very limiting way to shoot. Any camera can look alright with sunset and some moody piano. Try and make a real project with it though, instead of a blog roll and you'll likely get annoyed. Unless of course you're using "shot on iphone" as your main reason to watch, as some have.

Sure you could add lens attachments, rigging, and so on, but why bother? You're then trying to boost up a sensor the size of a lentil rather than just shoot with one of the many great cameras available for not much money.

For pick ups, sure why not, sometimes you get a shot you'd otherwise miss: I used iphone footage on a paid job because C100 has no high frame rates. but I don't see much point just using a phone to shoot to make a point...

On the original subject I actually use the iPhone for little pickups and stuff, it's pretty good for that. In that way it's more useful than a Nikon SLR! The original video title is just clickbait though

That's it.  That's why I don't post links to stuff like that and I usually don't watch it.

Any real video enthusiast uses their cellphone from time to time to grab shots.  But when you get home and open them on your nice monitor you immediately see the flaws.  You can cherrypick shots that work really well but you have to ignore the majority of shots that just fall apart for one reason or another clipped highlights, crazy focus breathing from hunting autofocus, crazy narrow staccato inducing shutter angle, jelly out the ying yang, noise, the list goes on.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guess we werent watching the same video.

We were. That's what he said, repeatedly. It's what the video is all about. Just because he threw in a couple remarks on lenses/rigidty (didn't even make it clear) doesn't make it okay, in fact it makes it worse as innocent viewers get what he's saying is true. 

This video is gross misinformation to anyone who watches is it, sadly many. 

"Anyone who sets out to shoot a film on an iPhone rather than a proper camera is simply doing it because they are either very silly or want to attract publicity for their film. Proper cameras that shoot wonderful video are so bloody cheap these days, there is no excuse. Shooting video properly with an iPhone is a right pain in the bum." 

by Philip Bloom

I said that quote before he did;) No really it's a cheap over-used publicity stunt. 

I dont get, why are people so provoked by the iPhone? Boom shoot a nice video with it. Of coure we would use a more high end camra for most work, but given the limitation in lences etc. It actually capture nicer video then Nikon, but not A7r2. 

Lets say, you are on a travel and do not have your regular camra, you can use your iPhone and get a ok video. 

By the way, I have A7r2 , A7s, 5D3 and 1Dx, Shogun + an iPhone. -  Of coure we see the limitations, but also the joy.

I dont get, why are people so provoked by the iPhone?

No one is "provoked by the iPhone."

We just don't like clickbait videos.  If people want to be noticed on the internet go out and make good videos about real topics.

And let's be honest it was a terrible video.  When you shoot a video first you have to ask yourself "who is my audience?"  Next you have to ask, "what is the message I am trying to convey?"  Based on the reactions in this thread the videographer failed.  The only thing he succeeded at is getting clicks.

Honestly we should just have an unwritten rule on this forum.  If you see a click bait video just keep it to yourself.  Don't post it here.  Posting it here just causes a Barbara Streisand effect.