iPhone 6S beats D750 for video

wolf33d

Very good question. On the better camera in phones argument, I have always wondered why they don't have faster lenses (f1.4?) on mobile phones, along with built-in ND filters? The f1.4 zoom idea sounds great. Or they should let users just buy and adapt better lenses on mobile phones, amd sell them separately. Why should we be stuck with fixed f2.0 lenses with tiny sensors. It's terrible. Especially at night. 

The sensor on the new Nexus 5x and 6p does 12.35 MP 12 Bit at 35 fps, 4k at 60p and 2k at 120fps. I guess the Snapdeagon 810 in the 6p may be able to handle a hack pushing up data rates, to capture more information. But I wonder if it will be able to do RAW at 30 or 35 fps without burning  (exploding in the case of the Snapdragon 810). 

I'm pretty sure that all manufacturers want a slim, flat phone with no bump for the camera module. It's a shame really, they are all competing within these restrictions of not standing out (yes, even Apple) and going for that golden profit margin to sales ratio. Kudos to Nokia for their Pureview phone - now bring it back with 4K and Android!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Funny to see the anger from a lot of people here. Apple subject + 4K... was to be expected. 

What we should get from this video is that we all are dreaming. Canikon are joking on us.
Seriously. Do you think it is normal to have 4K in a 650$ phone when a 3000$ pro camera does not have it? Especially considering that 4K is actually more useful to pros than to iPhone average users?

4K was there 3 years ago in a 1DC body so stop telling you have heat issue or whatever pure bullshit mister Canikon. Sony has 4K in FF, in APSC, Panasonic in M43, in Phones, in 1" RX100... 4K is in all size of sensor and body. 

So instead of putting your anger on the guy of the video, on me, or on Apple, put it on Companies like Canikon, conservative non-inovators that cripple $$$bodies for marketing and money. 

The 2nd thing I see from the video, is that 4K on iPhone looks really nice and is gonna be useful the day you need to shoot this thing but you forgot you camera. 

But the big problem here is this thread. I don't think anybody in this thread watched the video. I did and the video already says every single thing pointed out here.

The people against that test are against 4K, against bitrate and hate Panasony for implementing 4K and high bitrate video...? Why?
I like having high bitrate and would love in Canikon followed Panasonys lead.

Don't generalize: I'm a big fan of 4K (NX1 guy) and don't fancy Canon's strategy, but still hate this video. Why? Because it summarizes with a highly misleading title "The iPhone 6S Takes Better Video Than My Pro DSLR," regardless of what it might actually say in the video. Imagine an article with a title "Experts Agree: Mattias Burling Is Clueless," and in the article you realize the "experts" are a bunch of forum members that don't like you and that even they don't really "agree" on anything - would you be OK with it because after all if one were to actually read the article, they'd know it's bogus?

So detail (and lots of artificial sharpening) make the better camera... Really?

Dynamic range is much worse, sharpening halos, colors are worse (just look at the greens) etc.

I don't agree and actually prefer the colors, and I think the DR is surprisingly not bad (not big difference with D750). 

I mean, look at the A7R II video last shot, I did not see the difference myself until he says it... So people arguing here that the D750 is actually better are just a couple of haters. 

This iPhone will never replace a good camera we all know that, but thanks for mentioning it again. 
I am just positively surprised by the not bad quality of the iPhone compared to 3000$ cameras. I think it's a great achievement. You want to hate it, no pbm :) 

@Mattias Burling had the sound on. The COMPARISON was not the whole video. He preempted by saying don't get rid of your dslr. That's not the comparison shots. The conparison or "test" if there's any way to call it that also wasn't "hey canikon should consider 4k in the future.." that doesn't make any sense. If the iphone won the test, which IS what the guy was saying, then it was because of resolution alone. @Frankie i know, i already said resolution is the only way it wins, which it does.. It'd have to be VERY crappy 4k for it not to. This whole thread is ridiculous, I swear none of us are even on different pages.

I think the guy is full of shit.

Has he seen the overheating issues Sony has been having?

The guy buys a STILLS camera and then says it isn't worth it because it doesn't have a feature a video centric camera has.  A 5D MK III would cost over $2,000 whether or not it shot video.  I mean I don't buy a Ferrari and then compare its truck space to a sub $20,000 Toyota.  You can play this cherrypicking game all day long.  I'm glad him and the rest of the Apple fanboys finally discovered 4k.  I've had it as a firmware update on my Windows Phone since last year.  That's right.  4k added with a firmware update.  Do you see me on here demanding to know why my Canon Rebel doesn't have 4k video through a firmware update?

Canons and Nikons are standard cameras in the stills world.  The stills world is far larger than the video world.  They are not going to piss off their stills customers just to accommodate video people.  If it was that effortless to implement 4k Blackmagic would have done it in a pocket by now.  We are seeing a bunch of compromises with these 4k cameras.  4k should not be rammed into every stills camera at this stage.

I think the guy is full of shit.

Has he seen the overheating issues Sony has been having?

The guy buys a STILLS camera and then says it isn't worth it because it doesn't have a feature a video centric camera has.  A 5D MK III would cost over $2,000 whether or not it shot video.  I mean I don't buy a Ferrari and then compare its truck space to a sub $20,000 Toyota.  You can play this cherrypicking game all day long.  I'm glad him and the rest of the Apple fanboys finally discovered 4k.  I've had it as a firmware update on my Windows Phone since last year.  That's right.  4k added with a firmware update.  Do you see me on here demanding to know why my Canon Rebel doesn't have 4k video through a firmware update?

Canons and Nikons are standard cameras in the stills world.  The stills world is far larger than the video world.  They are not going to piss off their stills customers just to accommodate video people.  If it was that effortless to implement 4k Blackmagic would have done it in a pocket by now.  We are seeing a bunch of compromises with these 4k cameras.  4k should not be rammed into every stills camera at this stage.

Worst post I have seen on any forum by quite some time. I don't know if the guy is full of shit, and what you are full of, but I understand why so many camera manufacturer don't give us what we want if they have people like u working there! 

Worst post I have seen on any forum by quite some time. I don't know if the guy is full of shit, and what you are full of, but I understand why so many camera manufacturer don't give us what we want if they have people like u working there! 

Sorry you can't deal with reality.  These companies are not running a charity.  Whining about it like babies on the internet isn't going to change the economics of the situation.  I make feature requests and buy what works for me.  Exit your bubble and go to stills sites.  When these cameras are reviewed you don't see the comment section full of people asking for 4k.  In fact I read more comments of people who are antivideo than there are pro4k comments.  Hybrid shooting is a niche market.  Grow up and deal with it.

I would love a sub $1,000 Canon DSLR that recorded 4k internally in a robust codec but as was posted on this very site Canon stated they had heat issues.  And we've witnessed the issues with Sony.  If you want to bury your head in the sand that is your choice.  That doesn't change reality.  Blackmagic makes cameras I like so I give them my money.  If that guy doesn't like the Nikon D750 or D810 there are plenty of other cameras out there other than a cell phone.  He should do some research and buy what works for him instead of making click bait videos.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

But the big problem here is this thread. I don't think anybody in this thread watched the video. 

He's saying the Iphone outperforms the D750 for video. Gross misinformation either as an innocent lack of IQ evaluation knowledge or as click-bait. 

and btw to posters: recording 4K video from a 6K Full Frame 36mm x 24mm Sensor to a robust codec is a 100x harder than recording 4K from a pin-head sized native 4K sensor. Technology hasn't caught to performing the former yet, bashing Nikon about it is lack of understanding how cameras work. 

He's saying the Iphone outperforms the D750 for video. Gross misinformation either as an innocent lack of IQ evaluation knowledge or as click-bait. 

and btw to posters: recording 4K video from a 6K Full Frame 36mm x 24mm Sensor to a robust codec is a 100x harder than recording 4K from a pin-head sized native 4K sensor. Technology hasn't caught to performing the former yet, bashing Nikon about it is lack of understanding how cameras work. 

do you guys really know fstoppers? 

They are probably achived more then many of us with respect to photo/video. They have shoot a lot with Nikon so it must be a big suprise that the iPone beat the Nikon. There is another video showing that A7r2 is better. Be glad they did not compare with Canon........

Saying they are idiots seems strange....they have a point

Gross misinformation either as an innocent lack of IQ evaluation knowledge or as click-bait. 

recording 4K video from a 6K Full Frame 36mm x 24mm Sensor to a robust codec is a 100x harder than recording 4K from a pin-head sized native 4K sensor

john-cena-salute-o.gif

They do have a point. A very idiotic one that will not help anybody make better videos. 

?

This is in fashion nowadays for camera reviewers.Philip Bloom also wore lipstick as he presented the Sony A7s...

https://vimeo.com/102448889
P-Bloom.thumb.jpg.f210b50eae35c6b0661158

That is some grotesque magentaface grading... it looks like what happens if you start with Sony colour, then move the colourwheels by using dice and whiskey to make your decisions.

On the original subject I actually use the iPhone for little pickups and stuff, it's pretty good for that. In that way it's more useful than a Nikon SLR! The original video title is just clickbait though