jacoblewis

NX1 dropped frames

Okay, so this is new... but I've been able to reproduce the problem several times.  Whenever I'm shooting while looking into my EVF, if there's too much movement... my camera seems to drop frames.  It doesn't happen when I'm using the screen... just when using the EVF.  Has anyone else seen this?

WTF.mp4

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I want to confirm I understand what you're saying. You mean the actual video output is different dependent on whether or not you use the EVF?

If that is what you are saying, I just tested on my NX1 and do not have that issue. I tried it with EVF set to auto or just to EVF. No issue.

Maybe try a different memory card? I'm using a Lexar Pro 64GB Class 10 and it's never given me any problems.

So I can't re-create the problem this morning.  I've seen it on 2 separate shoots this week.  I'm wondering if I have a bad battery.  I'm going to start taking notice of which batteries I'm using.  That's my only hypothesis at this point.

To answer your question:

I want to confirm I understand what you're saying. You mean the actual video output is different dependent on whether or not you use the EVF?

Yes, the actual footage turns out with dropped frames / weird glitches like you see in the video above.

I haven't tested it extensively, but I've only noticed it happening while using the EVF. If I'm using the back-screen, no issues with the footage.  I can see the glitches happening real-time in my EVF.  So I guess the silver lining is that I know when my footage has gone bad.  

But it's annoying not knowing why or how it's happening.  I'm trying to see if it's a common thing, related to firmware (I'm on the latest) or if I just have a bad unit.

Maybe it is little bit off topic but I have found issue that should be already fixed in previous firmwares. It is jittered image with dropped frames in viewfinder that also currupt the recorded video. I just reported to Samsung - it happens only with this setup - firmware 1.4, video mode, manual focus, using electronic viewfinder, DISTORTION CORRECTION - ON (I am using NX 45mm f1.8), FOCUS PEAKING - ON, digital image stabilization - OFF, NTSC . 

I was wondered why it happens only when using NX 45mm f1.8 while others NX and non-NX lenses were OK - it is all because distortion correction turned ON (there is some preset in NX1 for lens correction for some lenses) which is applied also to video. With DIS ON or in PAL it was OK... It is not so big deal - distortion correction can be simply turned off.... however it seems that there are still some glitches when using EVF.

Maybe it is little bit off topic but I have found issue that should be already fixed in previous firmwares. It is jittered image with dropped frames in viewfinder that also currupt the recorded video. I just reported to Samsung - it happens only with this setup - firmware 1.4, video mode, manual focus, using electronic viewfinder, DISTORTION CORRECTION - ON (I am using NX 45mm f1.8), FOCUS PEAKING - ON, digital image stabilization - OFF, NTSC . 

I was wondered why it happens only when using NX 45mm f1.8 while others NX and non-NX lenses were OK - it is all because distortion correction turned ON (there is some preset in NX1 for lens correction for some lenses) which is applied also to video. With DIS ON or in PAL it was OK... It is not so big deal - distortion correction can be simply turned off.... however it seems that there are still some glitches when using EVF.

Haha, that's not off topic at all.  You just solved my problem.  That's my exact setup on those clips.  I didn't think of it being my 45mm lens and distortion correction.  So weird.  Good to know. thanks a TON! I thought I was going crazy. I knew it wasn't my SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. 

Great, I am happy I could help you.:D

I sent an email to Samsung UK support with description of this issue... and it was quite funny. I took almost 3 or 4 email to explain them that it is not problem just with my camera but it is firmware issue. Finally they (hopefully) forward it to engineers...

Well, I discovered it isn't just the 45mm NX lens it does this on. 

Anytime I shoot UHD 30p viewing through the EVF using any NX lens I see these glitches in the footage.  I was having problems with my 16-50 f/2.0-2.8 lens this weekend.  So weird! And stupid!

Well, I discovered it isn't just the 45mm NX lens it does this on. 

Anytime I shoot UHD 30p viewing through the EVF using any NX lens I see these glitches in the footage.  I was having problems with my 16-50 f/2.0-2.8 lens this weekend.  So weird! And stupid!

Maybe you're firmware is slightly corrupted? I've had zero problems with my 16-50 S using the EVF or the screen. Did you try a different memory card?

Have you tried reformatting your data cards?

What is displayed on the EVF should not affect what is being recorded, unless the processor is being overloaded (then you will see dropped frames or other artifacts). Display through the EVF requires additional rendering, and that cuts into processing time. If the processor is busy with other things, something has to be lost.

Possible causes:

1) Your data cards are old and/or fragmented, and thus no longer work at optimal speed. This will result in data being lost as the buffer backs up.

2) The software has encountered an error somewhere, and is in a bugged state. It may still run, but be more sluggish than normal (hence, lost data since the processor cant keep up with the data stream). This is a common problem with all computers and can generally be solved by rebooting. In the case of a camera, this would involve switching it off then back on. Remember, Samsung makes great hardware, but their software generally sucks. Anyone with a Galaxy S, especially the older models, would be well familiar with this.

Have you tried reformatting your data cards?

What is displayed on the EVF should not affect what is being recorded, unless the processor is being overloaded (then you will see dropped frames or other artifacts). Display through the EVF requires additional rendering, and that cuts into processing time. If the processor is busy with other things, something has to be lost.

Possible causes:

1) Your data cards are old and/or fragmented, and thus no longer work at optimal speed. This will result in data being lost as the buffer backs up.

2) The software has encountered an error somewhere, and is in a bugged state. It may still run, but be more sluggish than normal (hence, lost data since the processor cant keep up with the data stream). This is a common problem with all computers and can generally be solved by rebooting. In the case of a camera, this would involve switching it off then back on. Remember, Samsung makes great hardware, but their software generally sucks. Anyone with a Galaxy S, especially the older models, would be well familiar with this.

I don't think it's my cards. I have SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and they're about 2 years old.  I have 10 of them, and it's doing it on all 10.  And I format each time. 

Try shooting UHD 30p while looking through your viewfinder.  It does it on all my NX lenses.  Turning lens distortion on and off does not correct the problem. Turning DIS on corrects the problem. But when leaving DIS off (which I prefer to do), the jittery / dropped-frame phenomenon is in present.

If it's just my camera, I agree with your 2nd point. I have a weird software glitch uncommon to others.  If it's present in other cameras (which it sounds like it is), then Samsung needs to fix this with a new firmware update. 

On September 30, 2015 at 0:31 PM, Pavel Mašek said:

Its happened to me and I am using manual adapted glass. I shoot through the evf as well. At first I thought it was a shutter speed problem but this kinda confirms its not

Finally I think it is all caused by combination of focus peaking and EVF...  and it can be "solved" by using DIS.

I mostly use one of Samsung lenses with AF so I have almost forgot it. However it is serious problem if someone using manual glass indeed...