Filmmaking - Documentary in NYC Help

jasonmillard81

Hey all, I am hoping to find somebody in the New York City Long Island region that is familiar with documentary filmmaking, using audio, and in particular for the GH4.

I would like to maybe possibly pay someone to help me take what I have learned so far and improve upon basic areas such as composition settings based on lighting and other conditions.

The quality and videos that you can see on Vimeo or YouTube vary greatly even when everything is held constant such as camera, lenses, etc. I'd love to learn a bit more about using an editing software (FCPX vs Premiere vs Davinci, as well as Neat Video, LUTS and about workflow), and also purchasing maybe lenses as well as editing grading and using certain features please feel free to message me here or DM.

thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If this isn't a good venue for a question like this.  Is anyone familiar with any good forums or websites, etc. that would be helpful. While I could purchase a course online or a book, it is much easier to learn hands on.  I have to believe there are highly skilled and helpful people in the NYC/NY region willing to help.

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds you're looking to join a workshop then. There are also video workshops that are a bit more practical than theoretical (e)books and such, perhaps worth checking out CreativeLive.com and Lynda.com for example. There's tons of free content on YouTube as well of course. In addition to Andrew's EOSHD GH4 Guide of course.

Thanks for the reply!  I understand where you're coming from and they are good suggestions.  While I am highly appreciative, from an artistic standpoint, the work that many here do for a living, I am not in the industry. I am a public school teacher who enjoys the creative side of filming and may want to use it to enhance education (documentary for current events related to history).

Therefore, time is not as open and hands-on would be preferable.

Thanks!