First footage shot with m43 SLR Magic Cine Anamorphics

beeldlab

I´m happy to see SLR is making ANA primes.

ANAs is not cheap lens,3K for each one of these could be acceptable. This is the price around for Lomo square and always need collimate.

About projector adapters,even ISCO...well...is other world,not bad,but other thing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I do like it! It is creative and not just a test with annoying flares and leaves. If it would be a lenstest and I had to focus on the look of the lens I wouldn't like it. But Hugo did a great job on the grade and it has a refreshing look and the image is not a vintage-wannabee. You should not make the fault and try with the SLR optics. Lomos, Iscoramas, Kowas, Bolex-Moellers were made for film and that is a huge difference!

I don 't know, i might be wrong, but trivial Kowa 16H looks waaaay better to my eye, but thank you for the test, it is a beautiful creative shot, it's just disappointing that there is not much anamorphic is going on in the frame besides the aspect ratio and really weak flare

I don 't know, i might be wrong, but trivial Kowa 16H looks waaaay better to my eye, but thank you for the test, it is a beautiful creative shot, it's just disappointing that there is not much anamorphic is going on in the frame besides the aspect ratio and really weak flare

whoops didn't mean to quote twice, sorry 

I paused at 2.01 as the cutlery revealed - albeit very briefly - the quite controlled and beautiful flare characteristics of these lenses. I liked it. It didn't scream for attention but added value for sure

First I have to say that it was such a pleasure to shoot with these lenses compared to shooting with other vintage anamorphics. No hassle, no aligning, no triple checking focus. Other lenses can give great results. Kowa, Bolex Möller, Sankor, Iscorama and other anamorphics all have their special character, beauty, disadvantages and solutions to be able to shoot in a proper way. But being able to shoot without lens clamps, rings, front lenses and other stuff feels so good. It’s just choosing the right focal distance, attach it and shoot.

Is it perfect? No. But I have to compliment SLR Magic because they are at least putting energy into anamorphic solutions and now even into native anamorphics.

When shooting wide open, which I tend to do and have done for this short film, some chromatic aberration can be visible, it disappears when stopping down. The 35mm mm has clearly some visible circular distortion in the edges. I tiny bit too much to my personal taste but i know many anamorphic lovers love the distortion. I am enthusiastic about the sharpness, the overall look and user friendly usability. These are the first ‘lower range’ anamorphics I would dare to take with me on a commercial job.

Color correction was done in Adobe Lightroom, not the most easiest and common way common way to color correct video but I love some tools that are available in Lightroom. I exported and color corrected every single frame as a tiff.

Cheers Hugo, much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...