Blackmagic Cinema Camera goes anamorphic with the Isco CentaVision 2x

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://vimeo.com/55559016

If I were stuck on a desert island with only one lens, I'd choose the $20 Helios 44M-2 and anamorphic adapter. OK that is technically two lenses but I'd fire all my other lenses at a brick wall at 200mph if it meant keeping hold of the Isco CentaVision 2x anamorphic.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Cheers Shian. Yeah does look like an extremely wide anamorphic in the perfume advert but I liked the distortion, gives it a less flat more unnerving feel. Very happy with the DR on the BMCC, I spend more time in Resolve now than I do on editing the final piece in Premiere!

The Christmas Market beneath the Fernsehturm, I think?

Very nice looking footage. 

Interesting for me as I have some footage from there that I shot on a GH2 last year to compare it with and the gap between them is possibly even a bit starker than I would have imagined.

Just a pity that it looks unlikely my BMC will be arriving in time for me to take with me to Berlin on the 26th !

<picks jaw up off floor>

Wow, the winter carnival sequence drew me right in & I completely forgot I was watching footage from a $3000 camera.   Fantastic stuff!

My only gripe would be that it looks like you blew the vertical alignment in a few places & that can be distracting.  Other than that, wow!

Black Magic really needs to get their shit together with production & get these cameras out the freakin' door already!

Fantastic! Really great to see anamorphic BMCC! 

How did you feel with these BMCC Anamorphic to shoot and how different is compared with GH2 Anamorphic set? BMCC is a bigger camera and also heavy I thing. GH2 is more discret also. 

Did you shoot just with bmcc and tripod? Or did you use a monitor also?

What I like on these cam is the chance to use minimal accesories to be more invisible. 

How did react the people with the cam? Did they notice it?

Best regards.

What a combo... Seriously. It sucks that Isco's like that are no longer produced and are like archeological discoveries when you can find one.
It'll be interesting to see what SLR Magic brings to the table with anamorphic lenses.. The crop factor on the BMC with an M43 mount will be huge when it comes to glass. Less edge blur with wider lenses.. Even though they balance out to larger sensors with longer lenses, it's great for a guy that has a nice set of wides.

I think the big thing for me on the BMC is the freedom to make a movie without the camera telling me I can't have that shot.

I'm looking at getting the GH3 (can't afford the BMCC) and was wondering if the Helios 44M-2 and anamorphic adapter would work on it?

I'm very used to using canon 7D and 5Dii, but time has come to invest in my own equipment. I'm just a bit concerned in investing in MFT lenses as they don't seem very future proof when moving up to RAW camera's at later date. I love the look of old primes, but do they work well with MFT camera if you have the right adapter?

wow andrew, this really open my eyes to one thing, the cheap glass working better and being sharper. i was having that exact issue with my century anamorphic adapter. which was mind boggling to me that when using my nikkor glass as a base the image would be slightly soft, but when i used my cheap canon pancake 40mm, i had shaper imagery, though that lens focus control has a lot to be desired on that lens.

so maybe this helios lens is just what the doctor ordered for my set up too. i see so many on ebay, all from russia and the far east, its hard to tell which one would be more legitimate, do you have the experience to let us know which supplier would be the best one to go with. a few look a little housed differently too. thank you so much!