I just modified my Iscorama 36 for close focus

richg101

So updating everyone here as I said I would.  Got my lens back from vandiemen, and she's a beauty!!  And I have to say, as much criticism as VD has got on their turn-around time, they not only did a great job on the build but also did exactly in the time frame they promised me.  Couldn't recommend this upgrade enough for any Isco 36 or pre 36 owners.  Takes a great lens and makes it the BEST!

Hi Ryan,

Would it be possible (if your time allows it) for me to take a look at this baby in person? I might want to do it to mines. I am about 15 minutes east of downtown los angeles and I can meet you up somewhere. Let me know please :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Done :)

My 50c after 2 weeks working with the "no stopper" Iscorama:

I think a rehousing is important, because: if you set your lens to close focus than dust can enter the lens! (there is a little gap between the middle and front elements...)

Has anyone tips for other rehousing factories except Van Diemen?

yep, this stresses me out as 90% of the time on set I am wanting to focus closer than 6ft and so there is a gap.

I always set it back to infinite as quickly as possible to stop dust getting in.

I want the van deimen mod, but losing the rear element protrusion is a deal breaker as it causes increased vignetting.

There are no other options for re-housing I'm afraid.

Has anyone been able to do this mod to a Isco 54? Is it even possible with the 54? I tried to remove the front ring but didn't have any luck.

The front ring on the 54 comes off just like the 36. I had to open up a 54 I got for about half the price that they usually go for due to a stuck focus ring and fungus spots. I was able to do a CLA and now it works great. The 54 is a much sturdier design that the 36 and the stopper is a large thick solid metal tab on the focus ring that contacts another large metal tab on the body. It is not like the 36 with a small plastic stopper that can be sanded down. While it may still be possible to modify the 54 it would not be easy and definitely is not something I would want to try to do.

The front ring on the 54 comes off just like the 36. I had to open up a 54 I got for about half the price that they usually go for due to a stuck focus ring and fungus spots. I was able to do a CLA and now it works great. The 54 is a much sturdier design that the 36 and the stopper is a large thick solid metal tab on the focus ring that contacts another large metal tab on the body. It is not like the 36 with a small plastic stopper that can be sanded down. While it may still be possible to modify the 54 it would not be easy and definitely is not something I would want to try to do.

Thanks dhessel!

Sounds like its not worth trying to take it apart then. Thanks for the advice/info.

@ch_d 

I'm considering cut up a rubber lens hood or trying to craft some sort of cover to stop dust getting in the gap of the close focus modded isco.

I haven't been able to dream up a viable solution as yet.

give me some infos when you´re doing this rubber mod. i thought about this too but i think i will send mine to VD

a tiny version of something like a mbox donut, or just a plastic collar might do it. I'm reluctant to send to VD because they cover the rear element completely which means increased vignette on many lenses. I did inquire to see if they had any potential solutions but did not hear back.

• 2 weeks later...

a tiny version of something like a mbox donut, or just a plastic collar might do it. I'm reluctant to send to VD because they cover the rear element completely which means increased vignette on many lenses. I did inquire to see if they had any potential solutions but did not hear back.

Hey!
Any news on the donut cover?

VD told me, that they are working on a lighter rear rehousing version - so there will be less vignetting.

@Ch_D that's great news, I almost caved last week and sent it to VD. I wrote to them a while ago and brought up the vignette issue and asked if they had any ideas and they never wrote back. Could you please elaborate, did they give you date for the new design?

I played around with making a cover, nothing spectacular as yet, the problem is most of the designs that I have come up with end up covering the distance markings which I need to make sure I don't unscrew the front element.

how did your follow focus stopper idea work out?

I spoke to VD. They are already using the new design.

"We have modified the original design and are delivering ISCO units in the new form now.

I am not sure where the Lighter come from , we have not changed this at all and do not propose to as the components are aluminium which they have to be to provide the new facilities.

Cut Off . The optical performance of the unit is not controlled by us however we have modified the original concept to allow the ISCO unit to be mounted closer to the Taking lens , this does allow for better coverage .

The other change we made was to introduce a more robust locking system."

Now I'm really tempted.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I have the feeling after reading this uplifting forum that it is quite clear how to make this 6ft-stopper dissapear. But does anyone can explain how to create a new and safe stopper around 3ft, so that the front lens doen't fall out!!! A screw????... If anyone has pictures or videos that I could use as a tutorial for this operation, that would be very useful, time and money saving!!!

best regards

HK